Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2017, 06:18 PM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks folks. I learned something today and that's why I love this site and the contributors. Have a great evening and super weekend!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:31 PM   #22
66joej

The yellow tape is the sealant of choice up here in Canada for most Plumbers and Gasfitters. Because of it's properties. What that is I have no clue.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:54 PM   #23
chuckster57
Site Team

I don't like having to think about which direction to wind the tape, just brush and go with the goop. Maybe they call it dope because even a "dope" can put it on the right direction

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:24 PM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I don't like having to think about which direction to wind the tape, just brush and go with the goop. Maybe they call it dope because even a "dope" can put it on the right direction

I agree. I've not looked at anything that tells you what direction you need to wind the tape (it may have been in the post?) but I always wind it in the direction that the nut? will turn into the threads; so it winds in the direction of the spirals and not trying to unwind it....if that makes any sense. I used to use the dope for everything but seemed like I was always messing with it and ruining a shirt or something..........
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:29 PM   #25
Thundershorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I agree. I've not looked at anything that tells you what direction you need to wind the tape (it may have been in the post?) but I always wind it in the direction that the nut? will turn into the threads; so it winds in the direction of the spirals and not trying to unwind it....if that makes any sense. I used to use the dope for everything but seemed like I was always messing with it and ruining a shirt or something..........
That's the way I learned how to put on teflon tape. Although every time I use it, I have to think about whether or not I'm putting it on the right way. A gas fitter told me once, hold the nipple or fitting in your left hand, with the threads pointing to your right, and wind the tape over the top of the threads, away from you, and back under the threads toward you. It's easier to demonstrate than trying to explain.
Thundershorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:48 PM   #26
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundershorts View Post
That's the way I learned how to put on teflon tape. Although every time I use it, I have to think about whether or not I'm putting it on the right way. A gas fitter told me once, hold the nipple or fitting in your left hand, with the threads pointing to your right, and wind the tape over the top of the threads, away from you, and back under the threads toward you. It's easier to demonstrate than trying to explain.
Natural for a lefty. [emoji6]

Javi

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater