Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2016, 04:21 PM   #1
kink2227

Roof seal questions

I bought a passport 2650 in the fall and used it for one trip before I noticed delamination on the front wall. Dealer replaced and said the factory missed sealant in a spot. Ever since that I have been on my roof every couple months checking the seals and even had to touch up a few due to minor cracks. Now I have another leak that is Letting water in and making it under the bunk. Dealer said there was a air bubble in the sealant and it was letting water in. Now they are pulling the interior out to replace panels and insolation. So the first 6 months of owning this trailer has been rough. Is this normal to see an air bubble in sealant cause all this damage? I have friends who never go on the roof to check sealnt and don't have problems even on 10-15 year old campers. The part I don't understand is I didn't see anything that I thought would cause a leak.
kink2227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:58 PM   #2
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kink2227 View Post
I bought a passport 2650 in the fall and used it for one trip before I noticed delamination on the front wall. Dealer replaced and said the factory missed sealant in a spot. Ever since that I have been on my roof every couple months checking the seals and even had to touch up a few due to minor cracks. Now I have another leak that is Letting water in and making it under the bunk. Dealer said there was a air bubble in the sealant and it was letting water in. Now they are pulling the interior out to replace panels and insolation. So the first 6 months of owning this trailer has been rough. Is this normal to see an air bubble in sealant cause all this damage? I have friends who never go on the roof to check sealnt and don't have problems even on 10-15 year old campers. The part I don't understand is I didn't see anything that I thought would cause a leak.

Wow. It sounds like you have a good responsive dealer at least. I'd make sure they do a very thorough inspection and sealant touch up on that entire roof.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:48 PM   #3
kink2227

Yes actually both the dealer and keystone have been great. Keystone has had no problem standing behind their product and getting everything repaired. I was informad today that some trusses and roofing sheets have to be replaced also. They said the factory may have missed some fasteners and caused the boards to lift.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:08 PM   #4
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kink2227 View Post
Yes actually both the dealer and keystone have been great. Keystone has had no problem standing behind their product and getting everything repaired. I was informad today that some trusses and roofing sheets have to be replaced also. They said the factory may have missed some fasteners and caused the boards to lift.

You should ask if you can come over and see it in process. That would let you see exactly how things are put together. I'd love to see some pictures. Not sure if they would allow that. With the roof apart it might be a good time to see if they could run power to the vent in the middle of the TT. That way if you want to put a fan in there you don't have to run power later. Glad it's getting repaired. Soon you'll be camping again.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:00 PM   #5
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
You should ask if you can come over and see it in process. That would let you see exactly how things are put together. I'd love to see some pictures. Not sure if they would allow that. With the roof apart it might be a good time to see if they could run power to the vent in the middle of the TT. That way if you want to put a fan in there you don't have to run power later. Glad it's getting repaired. Soon you'll be camping again.
Disappointing that high center vent is not wired. Anyone ever figure out how to open/close one?

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:23 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Odds are you wont be able to watch the repairs. Scheduling and often times insurance requirements don't allow for customers in the service bays. Its nice to know Keystone is stepping up and fixing things as they should.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:09 PM   #7
kink2227

Yes it is great that keystone stepped up! And I have total confidence that the dealer will do the job correctly. My concerns are only having 5 months of warranty left and already having 2 major problems that were caused during assembly. I am afraid of what else I may find over the next year or so. This unit has only traveled maybe 400 miles.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:07 PM   #8
Mike484

That's why I bought the extended warranty, may not be worth the paper it's written on, but I felt as though a one year warranty wasn't worth much since we would probably only use it a few times a year so any major problem may take a while before rearing its head.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:00 AM   #9
gearhead

I got "talked" into an extended warranty by my DW. It hasn't quite paid for itself yet, but it did pay a $1400 bill a few weeks ago. Your dealer would probably still sell you one. Negotiate.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote