Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2015, 02:59 PM   #21
bsmith0404

I've owned both and will never own a gas again. The diesel is great for towing, fuel mileage, longevity, resale......some worry about maintenance costs, but for the most part, they are pretty maintenance friendly and reliable. The only problem I've had with any of mine have been sensors. Had the #2 NoX sensor go bad (common on the 2011 duramax, but not newer versions), covered by warranty. Had a EGT sensor go bad at 123k, $60 part. They take 10 qts of oil, but a lot of the newer gas trucks take 6-8 qts so not a major difference there either. Then a $25 fuel filter about every 20k miles.

Other things you gain with a diesel, exhaust brake and better transmission. The exhaust brake is amazing especially when you get into the mountains of hills with 10k lbs pushing you. I can set the cruise and the never touch the brake pedal. The transmissions offered with diesels, especially the Allison in the GMs is a beast. Plan on putting on a half million miles or more before you rebuild, that's if you do a lot of towing.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:33 PM   #22
Timcharlie

Re:Tow Vehicle

Brent, thanks for the feedback. One of my concerns is availability of diesel at local stations to me. I will be doing research for sure.

On a side note, i see from your sig line you are retired from the Air Force. Thank you for your service. My son in law is i the early stages of his career with the Air Force. He and my daughter are stationed at Holloman AFB in New Mexico.
Timcharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:40 PM   #23
bsmith0404

I live in Las Cruces, was stationed at Holloman, still have friends out there. Earlier in my career I never wanted to be stationed in NM, then ended up here and loved it. Cloudcroft is a great area with good deer, elk, and turkey hunting. Actually a lot more to do in this state than people realize. If he ever needs anything just shoot me a PM.

As for diesel, it's becoming so common now that most stations have at least 1-2 pumps. Does get irritating when a car pulls up to the 1 pump that shares diesel when there are 15 other open pumps available.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 10-04-2015, 09:20 PM   #24
Desert185

Go with diesel for towing for all the reasons Brent outlined.

As far as maintenance, I have over 300,000 miles on two Cummins engines. Besides valve adjustments on the 12 valve (not required on the 24 valve) I have only done an alternator, one starter, a MAP sensor, serpentine belt, throttle position sensor, brakes, a lift pump and an auto transmission at 98,000 miles on warranty. The 24 valve has a bulletproof, 6-speed manual, so that problem was eliminated.

There are really no more maintenance issues with a diesel in my experience. I do my own work, so that does help with the expense and the Cummins is comparatively easy to work on.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:25 AM   #25
roybaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Go with diesel for towing for all the reasons Brent outlined.

As far as maintenance, I have over 300,000 miles on two Cummins engines. Besides valve adjustments on the 12 valve (not required on the 24 valve) I have only done an alternator, one starter, a MAP sensor, serpentine belt, throttle position sensor, brakes, a lift pump and an auto transmission at 98,000 miles on warranty. The 24 valve has a bulletproof, 6-speed manual, so that problem was eliminated.

There are really no more maintenance issues with a diesel in my experience. I do my own work, so that does help with the expense and the Cummins is comparatively easy to work on.
One of the benefits not mentioned about the diesel is the ability to have an auxiliary fuel tank in the bed. Huge benefit, we just completed a trip starting in Kansas to the Upper Penensula MI. Towing our 3155 Montana 5er with a 2014 Ram 3500 dually with a 75 gallon transfer flow bed tank. Started the trip with stock and bed tank full, 107 gallons. Never stopped for fuel, arrived at the UP 1000 miles late set up camp. Checked my gas app to find the most reasonably priced fuel and without worrying about 13.5 height of 5er or congested pumps, filled both tanks with approx 80 gallons of fuel. On our return trip I topped off my tanks several times after parking the 5er and picking and choosing fuel spots. Diesel is much safer than gas. Good luck on your hunt. Go big, go diesel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timcharlie View Post
Hey Guys,
Thanks guys for all the replies so far. Now I am thinking about a possible trade in of my 2009 Titan for a 2016 depending on trade in value and cost of the '16. But barring a trade in that way, if we go used is there any model years to avoid?

Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmedic4 View Post
There are a great deal of love/hate about our trucks and towing capacities, but honestly, buy what you like. The important part is to check out what you are buying regarding it's capacity. On my last purchase several months ago, I was pleased they provided a detailed page listing the capabilities. Perhaps it was because it's a 2500, and it's required, but there is none of the questions about looking at some webpage and guesstimating where your truck fits in the charts.

As usual, if you don't start out pleased with your TV, you'll never be happy.
roybaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:05 AM   #26
chuckster57
Site Team

And diesel fuel doesn't go bad nearly as fast as gasoline.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:55 AM   #27
Pmedic4

Cool Fuel Going bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
And diesel fuel doesn't go bad nearly as fast as gasoline.
I was laughing about this comment - With most of our trucks, the way they gulp fuel, even a great diesel at 18 MPG, fuel getting old doesn't seem to be a big concern.

This somewhat makes sense though for someone who has a Motorhome, that may sit for 4-5 months out of the year over the winter.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:59 PM   #28
bsmith0404

Chuckster drives his TV about as often as a motorhome so it makes sense for him.

I also love the aux tank, but I put on 5k miles a week when I'm on the road. The ability to get fuel where it's cheap is a huge benefit for me. I've made several trips into CA, but have never bought fuel there! I use pilot and flying J. I have to use the truck pumps when transporting otherwise I don't get my company discount, but when I'm on the road with my personal RV I use the RV pumps with the Camping World / Good Sam discount.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 10-08-2015, 08:49 AM   #29
LittleJoe

. Besides valve adjustments on the 12 valve (not required on the 24 valve)

This is not correct. Valve adjustments are still necessary but interval is 150000 miles. They are not hydraulic adjusters
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:44 PM   #30
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmedic4 View Post
I was laughing about this comment - With most of our trucks, the way they gulp fuel, even a great diesel at 18 MPG, fuel getting old doesn't seem to be a big concern.

This somewhat makes sense though for someone who has a Motorhome, that may sit for 4-5 months out of the year over the winter.
The issue there is if you park it with number #2 diesel and it is cold out you may have gelling problems. Best to take it out and fill with #1 if you are going to be hitting any cold weather. I see it all the time here in Alaska. Some of our local military deploy early summer and come back middle of winter to a diesel truck with issues. Or worse a spouse who takes it out for a spin before they get home to find it all gelled up.
Big Boy w/ Big Toys is offline   Reply With Quote