Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2015, 05:14 AM   #1
squeak93

Tires are confusing......

So I've been reading this forum for quite some time (even so before I actually signed up, I'm a lurker lol).

Anyway, I had my heart set on new tires before we take a 6-7 hour trip in 3 weeks with our 11 Cougar. Currently I have the china bomb towmasters that are in amazing visual shape but are 4-5 years old so they are a ticking time bomb. We've tugged the trailer 2 times 2 hours each way with no issue. I have no dry rotting on the tires and they inspect well. I am still going to replace them as to not cause major issues with a blow out nor do I want to deal with that head ache.

I was set on:
Maxxis M8008 ST Radial BS Trailer Tire
ST235 /80 R16 124 E1 BSW

However, I would prefer a tire that will run 70-75 if needed. I don't mind hauling at 65 some of the time but if you've ever been across I70 through KS and eastern Co you understand how horrible 65 can be during those stretches. Plus I don't want to run a 65 mph tire at 65 full time as the heat build up is prone to cause issues.

I can't seem to find a tire speed rating for these. Some say 65 while other ratings are Q or R (99-106). Does anyone have any solid info on theses tires or a GOOD option?

FWIW, my trailer is 9500 empty and around 11000 loaded, I have 5400lb axles (IIRC) and a tongue weight around 2k. 3400+ tire weight ratings will be perfect based upon the math. I just need one that will handle 70 on a consistent basis.

Any input is welcome, I've read so many threads now I think I've confused myself and I should likely just pull the trigger on the Maxxis tires and be done with it.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:38 AM   #2
Desert185

I went with and am very happy with the Maxxis tire you're looking at. The difference in time over a 300 mile tow between 70 and 62 (my tow speed) is 35 minutes and better mileage. I usually stop at a rest stop along the way, which adds more time but eases the butt and the bladder (and makes the pup happy), making the extra 35 minutes seem relatively minor.

Sorry that this poses an alternative rather than answering your question.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:05 AM   #3
bobbecky

With the lighter trailer, and the axles at 5400 lbs, you will have no problem getting good LT tires instead of the ST trailer tires, and your desire to run at 70 mph is solved, as the LT tires are rated at least 75 mph. The LT tires should be rated 3042 lbs per tire, so you will have much more tire than the axles require.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:17 PM   #4
CWtheMan

There are a lot of things happening right now in the ST tire market. The government (USA) has changed the rules for the tariff taxation of foreign made tires, especially the ST tires. Of most impact to users is the fact that foreign made ST tires must now identify a speed rating and insure it’s displayed on all ST tires imported to the USA. The TRA has approved increasing the speed restrictions to 81 MPH and some manufacturers such as Carlisle have increased that to 87 MPH. Remember, a manufacturer’s speed rating insures that the tires can support their maximum load capacity up to and including their designated speed restriction.

Maxxis has not updated their load inflation charts which still depict 65 MPH for all ST tires. So the best way to currently check a foreign ST tires’ speed rating is to look at it’s sidewall markings. Look for a speed letter code.

Keystone, for some reason, used OE tires on your trailer with a lot of extra reserve load capacity. Any trusted name brand ST tire of the same size as your OE tires should easily last 5 years.

Don’t take someone’s word for a speed rating. Look for it yourself.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 04:16 AM   #5
squeak93

Good info all. I finally broke down and went to a buddy that does tires and we decided on Carlisle tires. We also went over kill (price was less than $20 a tire difference) and will end up running a F load tire in 235/85 (yes slightly taller but we have validated the trailer has ample amount of room for 1/2 inch height difference on top and between them.

These are WAY overkill but the hope is that a 12ply will handle the sitting and any major bumps we encounter. For 20 a tire I just didn't see why not to run them.

I'm going to replace all 4 tires plus my spare as I'm sure it will get me all the way to the scene of the next blow out.

Thanks for the info and all the light reading (from searches).
Old 09-29-2015, 08:19 AM   #6
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
There are a lot of things happening right now in the ST tire market. The government (USA) has changed the rules for the tariff taxation of foreign made tires, especially the ST tires. Of most impact to users is the fact that foreign made ST tires must now identify a speed rating and insure it’s displayed on all ST tires imported to the USA. The TRA has approved increasing the speed restrictions to 81 MPH and some manufacturers such as Carlisle have increased that to 87 MPH. Remember, a manufacturer’s speed rating insures that the tires can support their maximum load capacity up to and including their designated speed restriction.

Maxxis has not updated their load inflation charts which still depict 65 MPH for all ST tires. So the best way to currently check a foreign ST tires’ speed rating is to look at it’s sidewall markings. Look for a speed letter code.

Keystone, for some reason, used OE tires on your trailer with a lot of extra reserve load capacity. Any trusted name brand ST tire of the same size as your OE tires should easily last 5 years.

Don’t take someone’s word for a speed rating. Look for it yourself.
CW: Reading between the lines....did the tire manufacturers change anything in the construction of the tire, or just raise the speed rating?
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:03 AM   #7
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
CW: Reading between the lines....did the tire manufacturers change anything in the construction of the tire, or just raise the speed rating?
Good question, and one that occurred to me, also. Frankly, I doubt if anything other than the speed rating on the tire mold will change.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 04:07 PM   #8
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
IMO each tire manufacturer would have to build a tire that includes construction that will support it's load capacity at their restriction level.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote