Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2015, 04:34 AM   #41
LaTundra

Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio1der View Post
Not only does it warn you of low/high pressure but also high temps in case you have a dragging brake. The cost of the system is far less than even a "cheap" fix to the bodywork of a trailer IMO. I LOVE our TST507 setup, and wouldn't even trust our awesome new Kuhmos without it. You just never know.
What he said times 2
1 very sweet Dear Wife
3 mean cats and a one-eyed dawg.

Previous campers/tow vehicles:
73 Apache Mesa hard side popup/74 Chevy Nova 350 cid 3sp m
96 Coleman Shenandoah popup/91 Toyota Extended cab 2.4l 5sp m
04 KZ Frontier 2101QSF/00 Toyota Tundra 4.7l 4sp a
LaTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:16 AM   #42
dirt33

I have been contemplating buying the Trailer Aid Plus. I have a Keystone Bullet with spread axles, and I really didn't feel that the 5.5" height of the Trailer Aid Plus was going to be enough, so I just haven't pulled the trigger on getting it.

Last night while strolling through Walmart, I came upon a pair of Rhino automotive ramps. For $44, you get two ramps (Trailer Aid is one ramp for the same money or more). Rhino ramp height is 7" on the top surface.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/RhinoRamps-Black/19526658

Just tried it out. The ramp itself is not quite enough, as the rear tire still sits just barely on the ground. With a 1x10 board placed on top of the ramp, it was just right. So, what I have learned is that I will make something to extend my ramp by 1 more inch, and I will be in business. I have also learned that the Trailer Aid Plus would indeed have not been suitable for my application. Given that you get two Rhino ramps for the same money or less, I guess I can't see why anyone would want to buy the (shorter) Trailer Aid.

Photos below, I didn't take the photos from a low enough angle, so they don't really show the difference in the rear tire as far as being on the ground versus off the ground. (top photo wheel is on the ground, bottom photo it spins and could easily be removed/replaced). But, mainly just wanted to show these photos and share my experience for anyone else with axles spread this far apart.... The Trailer Aid Plus will likely not do the trick for you.

dirt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:47 AM   #43
TomHaycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt33 View Post
I have been contemplating buying the Trailer Aid Plus. I have a Keystone Bullet with spread axles, and I really didn't feel that the 5.5" height of the Trailer Aid Plus was going to be enough, so I just haven't pulled the trigger on getting it.

Last night while strolling through Walmart, I came upon a pair of Rhino automotive ramps. For $44, you get two ramps (Trailer Aid is one ramp for the same money or more). Rhino ramp height is 7" on the top surface.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/RhinoRamps-Black/19526658
Thanks for the post! I too have spread axles on my Springdale, but also (already!) own a pair of the Rhino ramps. Hadn't considered the possibility of using one of those. I keep a bottle jack in the trailer, but will consider throwing in a ramp.

Safe travels.
TomHaycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:53 AM   #44
cw3jason

I have used the rhino ramps on the wide secure stance axles. It works great. I always threw one in the back of the truck before travel.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:25 PM   #45
siberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Bought one at NAPA, 5.5 inches is not enough to raise it when I shredded the tire and scorched the rim as the suspension will sag. Am working on a solution to raise it the extra 3 inches it needs.

siberian

The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow
siberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:43 AM   #46
dirt33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHaycraft View Post
Thanks for the post! I too have spread axles on my Springdale, but also (already!) own a pair of the Rhino ramps. Hadn't considered the possibility of using one of those. I keep a bottle jack in the trailer, but will consider throwing in a ramp.

Safe travels.
I was actually pretty surprised when I stumbled upon the Rhino ramps in WalMart last week. I had been looking the Trailer Aid Plus over and over, and knew that, while it is a good product, I plain and simple needed something a couple inches taller. When I measured the Rhino height at 7", and saw the $44 price for the set, it was an absolute no brainer for me...

I will use one of the Lynx Leveler pads placed on top of the Rhino ramp to change a tire if needed. I have tried that combination out and it worked perfectly. After using the Rhino ramps to change the truck oil yesterday (as opposed to lugging a 3 ton floor jack and jack stands out like I used to), and using the Rhino ramps to power wash the mower deck, I am very happy to have purchased the Rhino ramps instead of the Trailer Aid Plus. I usually get pretty "in a hurry" to buy something when I think that it is needed. I am very glad that I waited awhile on this situation, and did not buy the Trailer Aid, as it would be virtually useless to me.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:55 PM   #47
LaTundra

Me too!

Just came back from WalMart with my new Rhino Ramps. Out in the parking lot, some old timer(about my age) said "looks like somebody is in for some hard work". I said " no, this is for my camper. When I get a flat, instead of crawling under with a bottle jack, I'm gonna use these to pull one wheel up to lift the other". He looked at me with astonishment and said "that's a great idea, I'll go get me a set!". So, thanks for the idea, with my new TST507 TPMS and Rhino ramp, my trip to Yellowstone will be less worrysome.
1 very sweet Dear Wife

Old 07-06-2015, 01:03 PM   #48
bsmith0404

I have a set of Rhino ramps, haven't tried using them on the RV yet, I carry a bottle jack with me in my tool box. I will say I like the ramps, but they are worthless for trying to change oil on a new Camaro, they slide or kick out. The only reason I still have them is I waiting to try them out on my older corvette, but maybe I found a new use for them when I am doing maintenance on the RV wheel bearings.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:17 AM   #49
Larry1013

I bought the Camco Trailer Aid PLUS. It has the extra lift added to the Camco Trailer Aid to get the second tire off the ground. Fortunately the Ford F350 I have has a 3 ton bottle jack as the include truck jack when purchased, if needed.

Do have a good used TireMinder TPMS for sale in the for sale section if anyone is interested. Includes everything for a 4 tire setup, receiver, senders and transmitter, etc.

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat CrewCab Long Bed 6.7L
2005 Keystone Outback Sydney 30FRKS
Larry1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:26 AM   #50
jsm180

I bought the Rhino ramps and just tried them out, they are going back. My 5th weighs 7200 lbs empty and it started to collapse the ramp. If you read the fine print on the label, they are rated for 3000 lbs each. The 12000 lb number is the gross vehicle weight provided both ramps are used to only lift one side or one end. Best to try them out in the driveway before launching off. They also sunk about an inch in the grass/sand here in Fl.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:53 PM   #51
dirt33

Well, the Rhino ramp got put to quick use. Owned the ramps 8 days, and had a blowout near Tulsa. Worked great, I put one Lynx leveler pad on top of it and pulled up on, and my buddy had the tire changed just about as quick as I could get out of the truck and walk back there.

Looks like I "had a feeling" at just about the right time regarding the China bombs on the trailer.... Two weeks ago on Thursday, just all at once I knew that I needed to get to Walmart and get these ramps, prior to setting out on a trip. I really can't believe that I went 11 months or so without the ramps. I guess I would have fished out the truck jack and some wooden blocks if I would have ran into trouble before getting these ramps.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:43 AM   #52
barchak

Changing a flat on the road...

Just had a blow out on I-65 about 60 miles North of Nashville. It took me about 45 minutes to break the lug nuts free. I carry a cordless impact driver with me, but did not have a 13/16 socket. Just ran out of time before the trip.

I used the Anderson Rapid Jack to get the axle up. I was able to get the blown tire off with no trouble, however I was not able to get the spare onto the axle. The Rapid Jack was less than an inch short at its maximum.

I think two things caused the problem. First, the weight of the trailer (9k) and second the Rapid Jack is narrower than the tire. These two things combined causing me to be painfully short on the height. The Rapid Jack push into and compressed the good tire therefore reducing the overall "jack" height.

I then had to call Good Sam and it took them about 75 minutes to locate a service provider. They showed up about an hour later. All told I lost about almost 5 hours and we were sitting on the highway in an unsafe condition for about 4 hours. Not good.

The tow truck operator jacked up the trailer using a bottle jack under the axle. I thought you were not supposed to do it that way. The manual states to place the jack on the frame just beside where the leaf spring is attached. What he did worked well and got me off the road quickly.

I have since acquired a 12 ton bottle jack and a 13/16 impact socket for my cordless impact driver. Next time, I will be ready!

When using a Jack, where do you all jack the trailer, axle of frame? If you use the frame, what do you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
barchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:02 AM   #53
notanlines

Barchak, I feel like we're neighbors. We are longtime Germantown people.....In the real world, most people jack their trailers by putting the jack (whatever kind) under the plate that holds the springs together directly behind the tire. It generally has the ends of the u-bolts that hold the springs together. This is normally safer than trying to jack a trailer by the frame. You can also safely jack on the very, very end of the round axle, directly adjacent to the springs. Dexter and their associates recommend you jack on the frame because there will be a number of people who jack directly on the axle in the middle of the trailer, thereby bending it in the middle. If you jack on the frame you will be lifting an enormous amount of weight as opposed to the end of one axle.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:35 AM   #54
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by barchak View Post
.................I used the Anderson Rapid Jack to get the axle up. I was able to get the blown tire off with no trouble, however I was not able to get the spare onto the axle. The Rapid Jack was less than an inch short at its maximum...........
I used my rapid jack to adjust my brakes a few weeks ago and quickly learned that I needed to carry a couple of extra boards to be able to get the last 1 inch of height I needed, just as you experienced. Too bad Anderson did not make the Rapid Jack that 1 inch higher.

I may keep an eye out for some 1+ inch thick rubber to replace the 1/4 thick piece that comes with the jack to avoid having to use the rapid jack with the thin rubber and boards.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 06:07 AM   #55
LaTundra

Rhino ramp

On our trip to Yellowstone, had a blowout in the Texas Panhandle. Pulled over, pulled out the Rhino Ramp, two young Texans stopped and helped. They loosened the lugs, I backed up the rear tire onto the ràmp, they changed the tire, and we were off in 15 minutes. Didn't have to crawl under the trailer with a bottle jack and block of wood(which I had with me). Found a tire store in Stratford (?). Did the same with the ramp, the tire tech was quite impressed!
Bottle Jack ? I don need no stinkin bottle jack!
1 very sweet Dear Wife