Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2015, 09:26 AM   #1
GaryW

no heat register in front bedroom

Hello! I'm new to this Forum so I hope this actually gets posted....
I have a 2006 Springdale 267 and it doesn't have a heat register in the front bedroom. There is one on the floor about 4 feet away from the bedroom wall in the main area. When I remove the register and look into the ducting with a flashlight amd small mirror, I can see the duct-work leading towards the bedroom, then it looks like it is sort of crimped-off (crushed?), just short of the wall. To me it seems like there should be a floor vent just inside of the bedroom wall in the one-foot area before the bed base starts. I have felt around and cannot find any depression or anything below the carpet in this area. Has anyone else found NO heat vent in their bedroom? Is this normal for my model of trailer? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
GaryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:19 AM   #2
GaryWT

Welcome to the forum.

In my Premier, it is like you feel it should be, I have a vent under the end of the bed just inside the wall, one would think you would have the same especially where they ran the duct work. Since you bought it used, there is no telling if it came that way or someone did not like the bedroom heated. Can you pull back the rug at all?

I do not have heat or AC in the bathroom and I wish I had both but we just leave the door open when we have extreme temps.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:47 AM   #3
GaryW

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the reply!
Unfortunately, I have my trailer in storage for the winter so I won't be able to look under the carpet (factory carpet-not a replacement) for another couple of months. After reading some of the posts here, I have come to realize that the ductwork can actually come crushed from the factory! What the hell?
My bathroom has a floor heat duct just inside the door. Have you looked inside your duct with a mirror to see if they didn't forget to put in the vent-grille?
As I sit here at my computer, I just realized that the area where my ductwork abruptly ends, is probably right in-line with the slide-out mechanism. Now I'm wondering if they crushed it somehow when they installed the slide and/or slide mechanism. Perhaps come spring, I will remove a portion of the black plastic from the bottom of the trailer and see what's going on under there.
Again, thanks for the reply!
If anyone else has experienced this problem, then please let me know.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:03 PM   #4
BOWWOW

Try searching the forum for "heat air flow in bedroom" There is some info there.

2010 Fuzion FZ 302 has 12ply F-loads, Dexter ez-flex w/ wet bolts, 6 volt Deka GC 15 batteries, 1 gen battery, solarpanels, leds inside, replaced clear textured door glass with tinted, 87 gallons of loc-tite.
Decals removed.
AKA CONFUZION / PORH HONKY.
BOWWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:09 PM   #5
therink

I would do one of two things: 1) cut hole in floor and add a vent 2) Remove existing vent cover and close off the ductwork forward of the vent opening using cardboard and foil tape. Ramp up the closing so the air movement is directed upward once it reaches the register opening. This will make airflow to the existing register more efficient and keep precious heat going to a dead end duct.

I closed off the fore and aft dead end vent ducts this way and it made the heat coming out of the fore and aft registers much better.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:26 PM   #6
KanTC

I did a quick Google search = a picture is worth a thousand words. In looking at this sales ad & video, I'd also think there would have been a register at the foot of the bed.
It does seem odd that there isn't one... that would have been in direct line with the others. Don't have a specific answer... just "thinking out loud"!
http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/Keys...le&BAC-Oodle=&

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:05 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Here are a couple of considerations that I think you should keep in mind when you "go exploring" to find out what is actually in (or missing from) your trailer.

First, the Springdale in those years didn't have a coroplast cover over the entire bottom, rather it was built with a 2x3" floor joist system that laid on top of the frame rails. During construction, the bottom of this floor assembly was wrapped in a waterproof woven fabric called DARCO. It looks like a "black plastic burlap" but is actually a very strong woven polyethelene fabric that is then coated with a solid layer to make it waterproof. This DARCO wrapped floor pan was then laid on top of the frame rails and all of the electrical, plumbing and heat ductwork was then installed above the DARCO. None of your utilities is below the DARCO. (at least it's not supposed to be below it).

If you cut this DARCO, you will need a specific type of tape to repair the cut. You shouldn't rely on duct tape or even Gorilla tape to hold on DARCO. Get the appropriate tape or your entire "sub-basement" will be filled with water the first time you tow in a rainstorm or on a highway filled with puddles.

On the earlier Springdales, the only COROPLAST that was used was over the tank mounting area, which is where the 2" heating duct was directed to protect the tank from freezing.

I'd suggest that rather than pull up the carpet to see if there is a "hole cut for the vent", just use a large sewing needle, grip it in the jaws of some vice grips (or pliers if you're "tool limited") and try pushing that into the carpet in the area you think there should be a hole. If there's a cutout, you'll easily locate it and define the corners. If the needle doesn't "push through" the carpet, there's no cutout under it. Even though the carpet appears to be factory installed, if, during warranty there was an issue, the carpet could have been removed and reinstalled by the dealer, so there may be "factory carpet" over a repaired area.

As for the slide rails crushing the heat ducting, the ducting should be (key is "SHOULD") well above the slide rails. All the ducting is between the floor joists, above the DARCO, the slide rails are below all of that, exposed to the underside of the RV. All of the slide mechanism "should be" below the DARCO and all of the heating ductwork "should be" above the DARCO and the two should not be mixed.

When it warms up, take a look at what's there, you shouldn't see any of the heat ductwork under the trailer, but you should see both slide rails, the motor, wiring and torque tube clearly below the DARCO fabric covering. There realistically isn't any way for the slide to "crush the duct" unless there has been sufficient damage to the trailer, and likely if that happened, the slide wouldn't function.

Good Luck, take pictures as you explore and if you have problems, post pictures to help explain your ideas and hopefully answers will follow to get you heat in the bedroom.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:39 AM   #8
GaryW

WOW!! Thanks for the excellent replies!
Come spring, I will definately do some more exploring within the ductwork and at the foot of the bed.
As for the underside, I will leave that as a very last resort. Thanks JRTJH!
Looking at this picture (thanks KanTC), I'm thinking that maybe the ducting extends far enough that it reaches to-under the TV/stereo cabinet. If so, I could possibly cut through the floor in the bottom of the cabinet, attach and add a pipe that leads to the bedroom wall, cut through the wall and install a grille. This would give me heat in the bedroom, although not through the floor but rather the wall. The small amount of storage space that I would lose in the cabinet would be negligable and well worth it.
Again, thanks for the replies!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ducting.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	7921  

Tags
cold, crushed, duct, heat, vent