Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2010, 05:45 PM   #1
bheckie

Chevy 2500HD 6.0L Gas Ext.Cab 4x4

Thinking about buying a Montana 3400RL Fifth Wheel....anyone towing one of these with my truck as described above? I'm afraid I am a little too "light" to pull this big of unit but would like some input....thanks for all replies!!
bheckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:42 AM   #2
Jim W

I hate to be the bearer of bad news and I am not a member of the weight police.
With that being said, I would not even consider pulling this trailer with a 3/4 ton truck, your truck is just to small for this size of 5er. The pin weight is 2140 LBS per the sales information. Which is usually under estimated and the shipping weight of the trailer is 12,346 LBS with a max load carrying capacity of 3294 LBS. If you add up the two weights they are 15,564 LBS, if you take 15 to 20% of this weight then this would be 2,335 to 3,110 LBS of pin weight. This will put you into a 1 ton dually pick-up with a diesel engine and 3:73 gears at least.
I use to pull a 5er with a gas engine pick-up truck and after two trips and a near divorice from the DW I said never again. The major problem was trying to get the truck and 5er into a filling station. The gas station are not desisned for 12 ft tall and 30 ft long or more 5ers with trucks to get in and out of.
Sold the truck and bought a Diesel engine truck.
Jim
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:06 AM   #3
BradleyScheirer

I just bought a 3712 raptor and towed it home with the Chevy 6.0 2500HD truck. Watched temp gauges in engine and trans soar. Towed it one more time to get the trailer inspected and on a short hill, same thing Went out and got a 3500 Dodge Diesel Dualie Have to get it set up to tow
BradleyScheirer is offline   Reply With Quote