Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2014, 11:34 AM   #1
Challenged

RV bounces

When I walk across the kitchen floor/living room floor it bounces. I see the coffee in my coffeepot sloshing around. I guess stabilizers would fix the sloshing, but I think it is the floor that is acting like a spring. Is there a way to fix it?
Old 09-29-2014, 01:37 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

It's probably the springs on the axles, the tires bouncing like balloons and the frame acting as a diving board (supported at both ends) that's causing more problem than the floor "springing as you walk". Supporting the trailer on each end while leaving the middle sitting on springs and tires will pretty much assure a "wobbly coffee pot".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:47 PM   #3
GaryWT

All trailers bounce and move some, the longer the trailer the more movement you get. Extra supports help but unless you are camping long term, don't get anything that takes too long to set up or take down.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:33 PM   #4
therink

I have a longer trailer and the suspension which is centered will bounce. When it bothers me, I place a bottle jack under each equalizer between the axles and raise each side about 1/2 inch. Just enough to take a little bounce out of the springs. I also have Bal locking stabilizer bars at landing gear and rear scissors.
Seems to help but there will always be some movement.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:15 PM   #5
Hercules1978

I put a set of BAL scissor jacks in front of the axles on our 31SQB. Works like a charm reducing the bounce. Also helps reduce the side to side rolling when someone sits down at the dinette or on the couch
Hercules1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:01 AM   #6
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules1978 View Post
I put a set of BAL scissor jacks in front of the axles on our 31SQB. Works like a charm reducing the bounce. Also helps reduce the side to side rolling when someone sits down at the dinette or on the couch
I did the same thing on my 327RES. Works like a charm. this and SteadyFast give me pretty good stability in my rig. Better than I had without either
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:10 AM   #7
Wes Tausend

Actually I think a lot of things contribute to the bounce, including the floor. Even the steel frame gives somewhat... all of them do, by the way. Most up-down unwanted movement will be reduced by the center jacks as previously mentioned.

I note that my 30' TT immediately sags in the middle (about 3/4") when I raise my TT with the stability jacks on the ends the least little bit (3/4" for instance). The way to see this is to sight (from a ladder) down the rain gutters which seem to be level on my TT when it's at rest on it's wheels. Look again when the end jacks take some minor weight.

It makes sense that the RV structure was factory built level with the axles already likely naturally bowing the frame up in the center. I looked down my gutters because I was wondering why rain dribbled down the center wall right over my leak-prone slide. Obviously, when the 3/8" deep rain gutter is 3/4" lower in the middle, and the entire roof is also sagged, the rain run-off pours more from the center than the ends.

So in view of this, adding center mounted jacks are a double bonus. If I'm camped more than overnight, I usually add at least one, the low slide-side usually (I purposely park this way, slide off the pad-crown, so that the other-side steps end up lowest to ground). I seldom bother to drive on blocking to level my TT anymore because I don't support it with the bouncy tires anyway.

Wes
2019 Leprechaun 311FS
Wes Tausend is offline   Reply With Quote