Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2014, 02:21 AM   #1
Richard6959

New trailer with roof problems

SO my new Laredo is about 4 weeks old to me. I was on the roof yesterday to install a fan and discovered the roof is filthy and has a couple of small torn spots in the rubber material.

Its a 2014 so I suspect it sat on the dealers lot for about a year and needs a good cleaning and treatment. Because I am a newbie I didn't think to negotiate having it done at the time of sale. I can clean the roof, but the small torn spots around the A/C looks like they nicked the roof during installation. Found a couple more small spots in other areas.

So while I had my lap seal dripping all over me, I decided to go ahead and seal those areas to make sure it didn't start to leak.

Was this ok, or do you think I should have taken it in?
Richard6959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:40 AM   #2
therink

Sorry to hear about the roof issues. How big were the holes in the membrane? Was the roof decking visible/exposed in these areas? If so, there could be water damage and would be very difficult to prove once filled with caulk. By not identifying the roof damage when you took delivery, it would be hard to prove to dealer/Keystone that it wasn't you that caused the damage.
Did you take photos before you caulked?
In my opinion (assuming there is no water damage, would be to repair these areas permanently with Eternabond tape.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:55 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Not sure what kind of lap sealant you used but in this case Dicor self-leveling sealant would be a good product to use after the area has been thoroughly cleaned. As suggested above, you might try cutting a piece of Eternabond tape large enough to cover both the sealant as well as some of the rubber roof membrane so that it has a good bond.

By you covering up the nicks and tears in the rubber with sealant before taking it back to the dealer could prove to be difficult for you for the reasons stated by Steve in his post.