Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2014, 03:48 PM   #1
tdawg

strut bracket

on my alpine the storage door strut bracket screws pulled out of door. i have glued toothpicks back into all of the screw holes. before i reinstall brackets do you guys have any suggestions to help hold brackets in addition to the screws. i guess they worked loose and i didnt realize it in time before they pulled out.
tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:50 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

You can drill completely through the base, use a longer machine screw with a lock washer and nut on the inside surface (if there's no "cosmetic" reason to keep that inside surface smooth and free). Or, another alternative is to glue a backing strip of 1x2 (or small blocks of strong wood, not soft wood) behind the brackets and use longer wood screws to go through the structure and into the wood backing blocks. Don't forget to push in a dab of silicone into the screwholes to help weatherproof them.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:23 AM   #3
tdawg

not sure about that, this is the bracket on the inside of my storage compartment door that the top end of the gas strut goes with the ball end snaps on to, just the depth of the door to put screws into
Old 04-30-2014, 10:14 AM   #4
SLIMSHADIE

I had a similar deal on my outdoor kitchen door. My buddy welded a flat steel plate to the bracket which gave me a bigger footprint and more screw holes in different location then original holes. Spray painted and reinstalled.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00155-20110523-2308.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	5779
Old 04-30-2014, 11:48 AM   #5
bobbecky

Had our brackets coming loose on our slam doors, and came up with this fix, which has not loosened yet in over a year full timing. Went to Lowes or Home Depot, don't remember which, and purchased a length of 1/8" X 2" aluminum bar, 1/2" stainless steel sheet metal screws, 1/4" round head machine screws, and already had taps for the machine screws. Cut the bar into 8" lengths and trimmed one end as in photo. Drilled tap holes to match the existing bracket and threaded for the screws, drilled hole for the sheet metal screws as in photo. I placed the bracket so it would be at the same position as it was installed on the door, and drilled small pilot holes for the sheet metal screws. No more trouble with the brackets coming loose. Also, did not need any caulking or adhesive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	strut bracket.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	5780  
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:07 AM   #6
tdawg

Thanks for the ideas, this is what makes forum great, you have a problem someone has a solution