Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2014, 11:21 AM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

Slide Color. Did I make a mistake?

Bought our 2014 High Country 319RLS at a great price because they were trying to move it. It had been on the lot about 5 months. It's a really nice unit and our first RV in 28 years. Now, I'm thinking I know why it didn't move and that I may have made a mistake.

The unit is a smoky gray color which we really like BUT all 3 slides are painted black on the sides and top. I'm thinking that is a bad thing and may have been the reason more seasoned RVers did not want it. Those slides get pretty warm in just 80 degree weather. We are leaving for FL in about 7-8 days and I'm worried about what impact they will have there. I went ahead and had a 2nd AC unit installed due to my worries.

Did we make a mistake? I drove by the 2 RV parks in our small town and found only one RV that had black slides (out of 80 or so); all the rest were white or some slight variation of white. Now I'm thinking I need to go out there with an HPLV sprayer and paint them gray. But, they are high gloss fiberglass. I do wood and metal with no experience with fiberglass and worry about long term adhesion on the fiberglass. Has anyone got any thoughts/experience with this? For the trip to FL I'm just going with it as it is and try to find a tree for shade.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:28 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

For the past couple of years Keystone has been installing dark color sidewalls on the High Country line, but I'm not certain it's on all of them ???. I've noticed it on more than just your model. I really hadn't given too much thought to trying to cool the slides in direct sunlight, but your right, it may be an issue. I'd advise, before repainting, spend the summer (or at least a part of it) like it is (after all, you don't want to void your warranty) and see if the "fears" materialize, or if the slides are built well enough to negate the problem......

Keystone isn't the only manufacturer doing that, Coleman and some Forest River products have black or dark gray slide walls and most big motorhomes have slide walls that match the exterior of the coach. Of course, I've never figured out how you cool a black 45' Prevost when you park in the sun in Las Vegas, so the slide color probably doesn't matter too much when the rest of the coach is also baking.......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:35 PM   #3
Ram189

You were talking about most of the trailers you saw had white slideouts on them.

I have been shopping for a new trailer for the past year and have noticed more than 60% of the trailers I looked at this year were some color other than white. In the past couple of years when I was just window shopping most everything was white with tan bottoms or some variation of it.

I think the color thing has just really started popping up in the last 6 - 9 months on a large scale. I think it used to be the other way.

Like someone else said ride it out the year and see what happens with the insulation and what not now it might not matter as much.
Ram189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:54 PM   #4
tenn321

Side color

This is such a easy fix go to Lows or Home Depo They have a product called Plasti dip It.s not paint you can spray it on and if you don.t like it peal it off.Go to Wrangler forum look it up they are spraying there whole jeep (New jeeps) wheels, you name it.Great stuff.Buy the way my High Country 321 has black slides and love it.It might have set on the lot because ever one can,t buy a 30k camper.Enjoy that thing a real beauty it is.Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC023602.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	5364  
tenn321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:48 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Tenn321

Your RV looks just like mine. I think the 319 and 321 are virtually the same with the exception of the kitchen layout and rear entertainment. You haven't had any problems with the black color and heat? That sounds good. It would be my luck that it isn't an issue and I just paid to have a 2nd AC installed for nothing. Of course, when we get to FL I may be happy to have it just because... Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and ideas. I'll wait out the year and see how it plays.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:52 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

JRTJH

I forgot to mention.....the only unit I saw with black slides WAS a 40+' (dual rear axles) fancy, dark colored (almost black) motorhome (didn't see the make)!! You had that one pegged.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:25 PM   #7
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Also was wondering why black side walls. 2013 Raptors snd before had white sides. All the 2014s I have seen have black sides. Not sure the reason for the color change? Or if it is functional?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:51 PM   #8
rnkburg

There is always the slide awning you can get. Would do wonders for heat and slide life. Just a thought. But the second ac is a must, had to get it on mine and made a world of difference.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:03 PM   #9
tenn321

black sides

No you did a good thing with the ac I have read lots of post on these TT When it's HOT out the second ac is nice.Don't forget the plasti dip if you need to go white
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4095944963.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	5373  
Old 03-19-2014, 04:10 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

rnkburg

Do you have slide toppers? We have been up and down on that and I've read posts that are pro and con as usual. We live in West Texas and have very strong winds at times. Although I wouldn' have them out I'm worried about what I've read about tearing, wind damage, water etc. I don't want to try to drain water off them every time it rains or have it come into the RV when the slide is retracted. Are those real problems? I am very interested in them but don't want to make one more thing to break or go wrong.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:24 PM   #11
tenn321

slide toopers

Yes have them on all 3 slides.Be your own judge
Old 03-19-2014, 04:51 PM   #12
Festus2
Site Team

To reduce the flapping that can occur with strong winds, there is a commercial product called "Air Wedge" that is placed between the slide roof and the slide topper. (See www.awningairwedge.com) for details about this product.

Instead of purchasing a ready-made commercial wedge, you can fashion one of your own. Some members insert beach balls or something similar .... I have made a wedge from rolled up carpet underlay. My wedge has a looped rope through it so I can easily remove it without climbing up on a step stool or ladder.

In some instances where the wind is severe and the slide topper is subjected to too much stress, members have had to retract the slide to reduce the noise and the possibility of tearing.

To clear the rain off, you can always retract the slide and the water cascades off the topper and we have never had any water coming into the interior of the RV. The home-made wedges also help to prevent the rain water from pooling on the top.

I'm not sure if a topper would help reduce the temperature inside the RV on hot days. We don't spend much time in the "heat" so no first-hand, real-life experience to make any comment about their effectiveness in keeping the unit cooler.

If anything, I would think that a slide-topper would help reduce the likelihood of water penetration into the slide out.

All things considered, I would recommend a slide topper.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:22 PM   #13
GaryWT

This time of year and with the winter we are having, you will be lucky if you are not running heat in FL... The black might we a welcome warmth that saves propane.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:38 PM   #14
KanTC

sourdough,

We live in SE New Mexico, but also spend a lot of time traveling in Texas... IMHO the 2nd A/C was a wise decision
I'm guessing you'll find it was a *worthwhile investment* before mid-July.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote