Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2014, 10:36 AM   #1
NEOHKeyster

Hideout 28RLDS - length of awning??

Hi all. First post here - new Hideout owners. Just bought a 28RLDS from the CLE RV Show.

Mrs. NEOHKeyster is searching for a patio type rug to put under the awning. The dealer where we bought it is an hour drive from us and we have yet to pick it up, so I can't easily grab a measurement from it. I scoured the spec info on Keystone's website but nothing really shows the length of the awning - only the fact it has one. All I recall is it traverses over both entry doors, so it's fairly long.

Does anyone have this model and have a good idea of what sized rug might fit under it? And does anyone have any recommendations on the type/brand of rug that works well as an outdoor patio 'mat'.

Thanks in advance!
NEOHKeyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:19 AM   #2
Mark TC

Mine was 16' long. I bought AstroTurf at lowes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Mark TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:53 AM   #3
NEOHKeyster

Thanks Mark. 16' sounds about right. Great idea on the astroturf.
NEOHKeyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:08 AM   #4
Mark TC

The astro turf was cheaper and more durable

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Mark TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:19 PM   #5
fla-gypsy

16' is the best length to buy but I will disagree with the astro turf stuff. I have done many different types of awning mats including the astro turf stuff and I found that the purpose made 8'x16' polypropylene patio mat is far superior for many reasons.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:44 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Many campgrounds do not allow "carpet grass" or "astro-turf" as they don't allow the grass under the mat to breathe, they hold water and kill the grass in a couple of days. The plastic tube woven mats allow water to pass through, don't hold sand/dirt, dry much faster, are lighter (even when wet) and don't kill the grass. Most campgrounds will allow this type of mat to be used, although picking it up every couple of days to shake the sand and bugs off and leaving it off the grass for a couple of hours may help keep the campsite in good condition for the next campers.....

WalMart has 9x12 mats for about $50, but most RV dealerships have 7x16 or 8x16 mats for around $80. They help define the awning area a little better. Don't forget the awning stakes (actually 12" nails) to hold it in place as they will blow around with a stiff wind.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote