Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2014, 02:51 PM   #1
rbowen1063

Holding Tanks

I have a 2012 Keystone Alpine 3650RL. I know the quanity of the black tank (50 gal) and gray tanks (80 gal). There are 2 gray tanks (#1 & #2). How many gals does each tank hold? I note when checking the quanity in the black tank, the first bit of water shows 1/3 tank? Also when the black tank indicates full, it seems take another 10-12 gals before it starts to fill the toilet. Is there a "safety margin" built in the tanks to prevent overflow?

Moderator's Note:
This post has been moved from the New Member Check In to here. The OP has already "checked himself in".
rbowen1063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:32 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Welcome to the forum and to Keystone RVing. From the question you posed, it's easy to see that you don't have much RV experience. With time, that will change. It's been said a number of times, that the only time RV holding tank gauges are correct is when they come from the factory, have nothing in them and the gauge reads empty. After they are filled the first time, plan on them being wrong for the rest of their lifespan. The reason for that is that the gauge sending units are simply contact pins that sense the liquid between the contacts to signal how full the tank is. Once you fill the black tank the first time, small bits of solid material and tissue adhere to the contact points and they send "false signals" for the "rest of time" Well, they send false signals until we stop using the system, then they just 'sit there".....

Do a forum search using the top bar search feature and type in sending unit, black tank gauge, tank gauge or a similar term and you'll get lots of reading material to urge you not to fight the tank gauges, it's a "never ending battle" LOL

Each of your gray tanks should be 40 gallons. They are usually identical and one drains the kitchen, the other drains the shower, lavatory.

Welcome again, enjoy your time on the forum and we look forward to hearing from you often.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:33 AM   #3
geo

On our Alpine (different year, different model) the black tank was located port side under the storage basement. The bath grey tank was located starboard under the storage basement and was 50 gallons. The galley grey tank was tucked up basically under the stairs and was 30 gallons. If you would like to see pictures, look in the Mods section about two years ago where I posted my process of installing tank heaters and insulation.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:52 AM   #4
canesfan

What JRTJH said.

To answer one other part of your question about "safety margin", not sure but I had a long discussion with my super tech at my dealer about tanks, more the fresh water tank since mine doesn't have a gravity fill. He told me on my fresh tank at least that when the "full" sensor lights up I still had maybe 8-10 gallons to go. So whether this is true on all the tanks who knows, but I've always seemed to still have some room when the full lights came on.