Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2013, 08:34 AM   #1
hook em

connecting cable tv

I just recently bought a 2010 cougar fw and on my first trip we used the antenna and everything worked right with the tv's. But this past weekend we were at a campground that had cable TV. So I connected it and my TV in the living room worked but the TV in my bedroom and outside said there was no connection. I know I had it connected so I am wondering is there another step that I could possibly be missing? I had to hook the TV in the living room to another co ax outlet. Not the same one that I would use for the antenna.
hook em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
MarkS

Hi Mr. Hook,

The cable / Satellite connections give a lot of people trouble. If you can, it is worth while to make a sketch for yourself of what connects to what with the cable system on your trailer. Attached is a drawing I made of my system. Any resemblance to your trailer is accidental.

The usual things to check. Is the little green light on the Winegard antenna plate turned off? Did you 'reprogram' your TVs for cable instead of antenna?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TrailerCable.jpg
Views:	4880
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	4445  

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
2014Fuzion300

In our Fuzion, if you have the power buster antenna "on" it will affect your cable reception,
It needs to be off (red) for the cable tv to work.
Happy trails!

Sent from my iPhone.
2014Fuzion300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
Pmedic4

Antenna - experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by hook em View Post
I just recently bought a 2010 cougar fw and on my first trip we used the antenna and everything worked right with the tv's. But this past weekend we were at a campground that had cable TV. So I connected it and my TV in the living room worked but the TV in my bedroom and outside said there was no connection. I know I had it connected so I am wondering is there another step that I could possibly be missing? I had to hook the TV in the living room to another co ax outlet. Not the same one that I would use for the antenna.
Every RV seems to have some new or unique antenna wiring layout. Since it appears you bought yours used, there probably isn't a diagram available, but check through those papers you got again. Mine is close to what MarkS had, but not exactly like his, so I did a lot of experimenting, and then found the diagram which backed up what I discovered.

Personally, I'm just disappointed the included antenna reception is so poor. I even upgraded to a Jack antenna, with very minor improvement. My best luck has been with using a separate external antenna if I really want to watch any TV where we camp.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
sdetweil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
Hi Mr. Hook,

The cable / Satellite connections give a lot of people trouble. If you can, it is worth while to make a sketch for yourself of what connects to what with the cable system on your trailer. Attached is a drawing I made of my system. Any resemblance to your trailer is accidental.

The usual things to check. Is the little green light on the Winegard antenna plate turned off? Did you 'reprogram' your TVs for cable instead of antenna?
how did u figure that out?
I assume 'docking station' is the outside.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
MarkS

I'm a sparky by trade. So, I have a signal tracer. I spent an hour or so ringing out where the coax cables go. You can do the same with a cheapy continuity taster from the auto parts store .

My trailer did not come with a diagram. I don't think keystone supplies them.

On my trailer, the convenance center is located in the service side basement. The dump valves, cable connections and city water connect are there. Other trailers call it the docking station. Other trailers have those connections through the side of the trailer.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
18K Pullright Hitch
Old 10-29-2013, 12:33 PM   #7
sdetweil

Quote:
I'm a sparky by trade. So, I have a signal tracer. I spent an hour or so ringing out where the coax cables go. You can do the same with a cheapy continuity taster from the auto parts store .

On my trailer, the convenance center is located in the service side basement. The dump valves, cable connections and city water connect are there. Other trailers call it the docking station. Other trailers have those connections through the side of the trailer.

Ok, I have a signal tracer.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:48 PM   #8
hook em

Thanks for the responses. My camper has the same station in the basement. I'm not a technology guy but it would seem like when you connect it outside the signal should automatically go to the bedroom since there is only one way to hook it up?
Old 10-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #9
MarkS

On most trailers there is a plate with two connectors and a loop of coax between. One side goes to the outside. The other goes to the TVs. I think this is were you can connect a cable or satellite box. It is at the top of my diagram.

If you connected your TV to the top connector, with the loop removed, that TV would work, but none of the others. If you had that TV connected to the other connector on the plate, all of the TVs would have worked on Antenna.

Since the trailer is 'new to you' the loop may even be missing.

Just guessing from what you have said.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
18K Pullright Hitch
Old 10-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #10
Pmedic4

Diagram of TV wiring

Quote:

On my trailer, the convenience center is located in the service side basement. The dump valves, cable connections and city water connect are there. Other trailers call it the docking station. Other trailers have those connections through the side of the trailer.
Actually, our 2012 did come with a diagram - of course I found it after I did the signal tracing effort! I used to be a network guru, and still had access to a TDR box to trace our RV TV cable.
Let me see if I can find our diagram - I assume Keystone put them in after lots of complaints.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #11
hook em

Ok I got it. I was missing the short coax cable to loop the two together. The guy that owned it before me said he used a satellite so apparently he removed it. Thanks for all the help.