Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2019, 07:52 AM   #1
Mike50

Which camper to get??

New to the forum from the middle of Kansas. Looking to buy a new camper but having trouble deciding which model to go with. The dealership is about an hour away and they have 2 units that my wife and I are interested in. First being a used 2018 28bhs hideout. The camper is in nice shape but the only downside is it has hail damage to one side and the front. The second is a 2020 272LHS hideout. Both have the same floor plan but the 28bhs seems to be a better quality. Anyone have any input on either one of these campers? Is the LHS line of hideouts a good value or is it going to be a camper that has a lot of problems with quality? Also I've been reading a lot of bad reviews on keystone's warranty. The 2020 says a 1 year bumper to bumper and a 3 year structural warranty after that. Is the warranty really as bad as people are making it out to be? I've owned 4 pre owned campers in the past and am done with buying a camper and having to work on it. Ready for a new one that is ready to go. Thanks in advance for the input. (Will be towing with GMC 2500 6.0 vortec)
Mike50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:26 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike50 View Post
New to the forum from the middle of Kansas. Looking to buy a new camper but having trouble deciding which model to go with. The dealership is about an hour away and they have 2 units that my wife and I are interested in. First being a used 2018 28bhs hideout. The camper is in nice shape but the only downside is it has hail damage to one side and the front. The second is a 2020 272LHS hideout. Both have the same floor plan but the 28bhs seems to be a better quality. Anyone have any input on either one of these campers? Is the LHS line of hideouts a good value or is it going to be a camper that has a lot of problems with quality? Also I've been reading a lot of bad reviews on keystone's warranty. The 2020 says a 1 year bumper to bumper and a 3 year structural warranty after that. Is the warranty really as bad as people are making it out to be? I've owned 4 pre owned campers in the past and am done with buying a camper and having to work on it. Ready for a new one that is ready to go. Thanks in advance for the input. (Will be towing with GMC 2500 6.0 vortec)
First, welcome to the forum. The Hideout travel trailer line is a "wooden frame entry level RV" from Keystone. Hideout fifth wheels do have aluminum sidewall frames. You're question about the warranty is a bit "mins-interpreted". There is a 1 year "bumper to bumper" warranty followed by an additional 2 years (not 3 as you indicated) structural warranty (the structure is a part of the "initial bumper to bumper year".

Your last sentence, the one I changed to red, eliminates the used 2018 that you're considering...... I'd suspect that NO trailer, new or used, is going to be "perfect without issues out the gate".... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:50 AM   #3
NevadaRich

Mike, Just like John stated, YOU WILL NOT FIND AN RV THAT IS PERFECT, even the 2million Class A has trouble....These thing are build FAST, Cheap, and have to be light....These roads we drive on are full of holes etc. After a long trip any where, these RV's will need some repairs or adjustment, When you do your Walk thru, try to find anything that needs repair, and have them fix it BEFORE you take it off the lot, after you do, it may take months to get you back in for repairs...Good Luck
NevadaRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:55 AM   #4
GHen

Confucius says;
If you go into the purchase understanding that all campers are %&$@, then you will be pleasantly surprised when you have limited issues.
If you go into the purchase thinking a new one is perfect, you will be eternally disappointed.
Keep a full set of tools in your rv and you will have few problems, if you forget your tools your trip will have many problems.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:57 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
Confucius says;
If you go into the purchase understanding that all campers are %&$@, then you will be pleasantly surprised when you have limited issues.
If you go into the purchase thinking a new one is perfect, you will be eternally disappointed.
Keep a full set of tools in your rv and you will have few problems, if you forget your tools your trip will have many problems.
Confucius was a "wise man" and apparently had lots of experience RV'ing......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:12 AM   #6
travelin texans

If you're tired of working on rvs then your best option is to stay in hotels & skip rvs altogether.
I've had new & used rvs for 40+ years & have NEVER had one of either that there wasn't something to repair.
The warranty on any new rv is only as good as dealers service department, some are excellent, some couldn't change a light bulb if instructions were printed on it. With the sales department once they've sold it are done with you so shop the service as well as the best price.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:21 AM   #7
papachaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If you're tired of working on rvs then your best option is to stay in hotels & skip rvs altogether.
I've had new & used rvs for 40+ years & have NEVER had one of either that there wasn't something to repair.
The warranty on any new rv is only as good as dealers service department, some are excellent, some couldn't change a light bulb if instructions were printed on it. With the sales department once they've sold it are done with you so shop the service as well as the best price.
papachaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:36 AM   #8
KeystoneKal

Check out the YouTube video “Building a Jayco travel trailer in 7 hours...pure junk.” The video is six years old, but with record rv sales the workforce could still be pushing to meet production quotas.
KeystoneKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:23 AM   #9
Mike50

Thanks for the replys. My trade is building custom homes so one look and I can see how cheap these campers are made. I'm just looking for someone that has first hand experience with the hls hideout model. I'm having a hard time justifying spending the $20,000 on something that may not last 10 years. We mainly chose this camper for the layout with the two exterior doors and the bunk beds inside. The "fireplace" in the new 2019s is pretty cool too, though being in Kansas I doubt itd ever get used.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:28 AM   #10
Mike50

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
Confucius says;
Yea I usually take more tools with me than I do camping supply's. Just never know what you'll wind up needing.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:00 PM   #11
KeystoneKal

In answer to your looking for someone who has Keystone Hideout. I have a 2015 30 rlds purchased new at an RV show. MSRP $29,999...Purchased for $19,999.
My wife and I chose this floor plan because of a spacious living room, roomy bathroom and bedroom with doors separating it from bathroom and living area. This layout has a big window which we have facing the lake view. Our site is at the shoreline of a small lake.
We do not tow it. In four years the only defect has been a leaking kitchen faucet and the leds in the awning roller work occasionally. All the generic RV appliances work as expected. The only thing I would change if I bought a replacement is get the trifold sleeper sofa and get the fiberglass siding to avoid the annual black streak cleaning ritual. I expect the trifold sofa to be more comfortable than the standard sleeper sofa.
The current 30rlds floor plan is different from the 2015.
KeystoneKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:43 AM   #12
RickReichert

Confucius also say, Journey of a thousand miles begins with a single repair to TT. Then he say, Oops, I forgot that socket wrench. Then he say, *^**^##@$$.
RickReichert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:17 AM   #13
johnfooks

Whichcamperto get

Great discussion. We just bought a new 2900RL and only spent one night bringing it home to Colorado from Kansas. We are leaving for an extended trip next week and I'm spending this week "fixing up" our unit. Added an of switch to the radio since it stays powered up continuously and kills to dual 6volt batteries in a week when in storage. I have to re-nail all of the faux wood ceiling strips over the slid out because they were nailed with too much pressure and blew right through the (now hanging down) strips. Spent a day trying to figure why the "solar preped" connection wires were wired backwards (hot is black, ground is red). That's if for the first 3 days - I bet I find more on the road. Don't get me wrong - this is the coolest trailer we've ever owned and I really love working on it.
johnfooks is offline   Reply With Quote