Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2023, 04:56 PM   #1
groutby

Hitch question...

Hi, when I unhitched my 26RL last week after installing a new lube plate (Reese 83002) I saw damage to it caused by an edge (on the right side) of the skid plate entrance which has lifted (Reese 16k hitch)...this was not there with the previous plate (which I replaced as general maintenance...it was a thinner plate)...
I have a replacement 10" 83002 to fit after correcting the skid plate 'edge', but before I do that, am wondering if you can help please with a reason for this to happen so I can avoid it happening again?...I hope the two pics are helpful.
I did notice the new one did not rotate as freely as the previous (should it?) and is a little thicker specs say 3/16".....there doesn't seem to be any clear marking as to which way is up....so as a newbie I am a little lost for a reason....
Many thanks......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch 1-1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	45830   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lube plate 1-2.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	45831  
groutby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 05:36 AM   #2
NH_Bulldog

My 2 cents is that at some point the king pin was mis-aligned while connecting or disconnecting and impacted/rolled the edge of the “throat” opening on the hitch head causing the damage. I don’t see any correlation between the plastic lube plate and the damage to the steel.

As to fit of the lube disc, some are snug, others can rotate. It doesn’t affect performance and there is no top or bottom. The intent of the lube disc is to eliminate the need for grease and provide friction relief between the hitch head and the pin box plate.
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 07:42 AM   #3
groutby

Hi NH Bulldog and thank you for your knowledge, I was hoping that was the case but didn't want to 'tidy up' the damage to find it happening again with the new plate.
I will keep close watch when hitching and I do recall it not going as smoothly as hoped last time....
Many thanks
groutby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch