Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2023, 03:48 PM   #1
LadyCPA

Awning over a slide out

So the question is should we add a slide out awning to our Keystone Raptor. Hubby is worried about debris falling on our slide outs and was wondering about putting some awnings over them. Can anyone share the pros and cons of doing this?
LadyCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 08:05 PM   #2
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCPA View Post
So the question is should we add a slide out awning to our Keystone Raptor. Hubby is worried about debris falling on our slide outs and was wondering about putting some awnings over them. Can anyone share the pros and cons of doing this?
There have been many debates on the topic of should you or should you not put a slide cover on.

So, this is just one guy's opinion. We've put them on some of our RVs, and not others. The pros for us are that it does keep the debris off the slide out off. And in sunny hot weather it creates shade over the slide out roof/ceiling. And on rainy days I like that it deflected the rain away from perhaps getting inside. The biggest con we found was when we camped out towards the mid-west. It was a lot windier. The cover would flap like crazy and at times I thought it would tear off. But it didn't. Since there's no right answer, consider the weather you might be camping in and let that guide your decision.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 04:26 AM   #3
Alpine Custom Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCPA View Post
We put slide out toppers on ours for all of the reasons already mention. I think it is well worth the money for the shade and protection from debris landing on the roof of the slide out.
2012 Freightliner M2 112 2L Conversions
450HP Detroit DD13 1,650 torque,
Allison 4000 automatic, 4.30 gear
Alpine Custom Upgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 04:46 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

I've had campers with slide toppers and without. Only negative IMO is wind noise. It effected my sleep one time during a gale when we were at the ocean. Honestly, the trailer rocking was likely the prevalent cause of the sleepless night.

As has been pointed out, access your style of camping. We primarily camp in the Mid-Atlantic/North East so that means parking under trees, often with nuts, pine cones & needles, ect. that end up on the roofs. So for OUR situation the pros far outweigh the cons. YMMV
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 05:30 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

As has been mentioned, let your camping style/choices be your guide. I never had them until this trailer and never wanted them. I live in the SW and that's where I normally camped. 30-40 mph winds are common - so are shredded/torn slide toppers. Seemed the cost/trouble was much more than the benefit since I rarely camped under trees and if I did a ladder, blower/broom cleared the top of the slide right off (bumper pulls). Then....

We started getting larger campers and going to FL a lot. In doing so we also started traveling far and wide to other places. The higher the slides got the more difficult it was to clean them and the ladders got bigger. After spending 6 mos. under some kind of tree in FL my slides stayed covered in needles, nuts and debris. I cleaned them every few weeks to no avail. When I got home they were the devil to get cleaned up properly (trailer before this one). When I got this trailer I knew the slides were much higher and they would be heck to keep clean and maneuver around so opted for the slide toppers. Had them now for 3 years and my observations are still pretty much the same;

They are great for keeping debris off the slides - a GREAT benefit if camping under trees regularly. They will, and do, flap and pop in moderate winds making me worry that they will tear or pull off as I've seen so many...but not yet. Those same noises will make me pop straight up in bed in the night. They also collect water when it rains and will dump off at the most inopportune time/place/end of the awning. Some folks put different things under them to mitigate that but I haven't; if I have to get on top of the slide every trip to position things under the awning every time I get somewhere, then get up there to remove them before leaving I might as well be cleaning the slide tops.

Bottom line for me is with the height of the slides on my trailer (yours are tall as well) and the places we camp these days I would buy them again.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 07:32 AM   #6
LadyCPA

Thanks to all of your for offering thoughts and opinions. As we are just starting our journey as we downsize and get ready to retire full time, I think we will see how the short journeys work out and make our decision down the road.
We have been out in The Beast twice but only in open areas with minimal trees and such. Our first adventure to federal land in Georgia with lots of trees will probably help us in making decisions. Again thank you all. And happy camping.
LadyCPA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, slide, slide out