Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2020, 03:24 AM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

Addie

Danny I think the “saved” dogs sense it and are the most loyal. We've had/have purebreds and rescued both. We had a cocker spaniel that my DW rescued from a Doctor. She was going to a doc weekly for treatments. He was recently divorced and bought his twin 12 yr old boys the dog and kept it in his office. Her name was Muffin.

The dog was a puppie mill dog and was abused. Kept in a cage and ignored then one day a week overstimulated by the twins. The DW would play and tend to the dog when she was there. That breed needs lots of attention with cleaning the eyes and ears as well as hair trimming.

Anyway the doc asked her to take it. The dog was deathly afraid of men. At the time I had an office away from home and when I’d come home she would just pee in fear. It took 2 yrs to gain her trust after which she would greet me at the door and set in my lap anytime I was home.

That dog cost us over $10k for surgeries. Several operations for kidney stones and eye surgeries over the years. She was one of the most affectionate and loyal dogs we've owned, and yes, I think she was “grateful” as well.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 03:33 AM   #22
chuckster57
Site Team

We have veered far enough that I should be ok.

We have all rescue cats. Be it a dog or cat, those furry creatures know when a caretaker adopts them. I have spent the last 3 years trying to get one cat to trust me. I can now pet her and she rubs her face on my Palm.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 03:50 AM   #23
NH_Bulldog

Another distinct advantage over a pop-up that became VERY obvious to us on our recent 3 week trip from NH to the Midwest and back, was our ability to easily isolate ourselves along the way. We would stop for gas, and while there (not sitting at the pump) we would use our own bathroom, make lunch, have a snack, etc. We NEVER had to use any public facilities and although we are home and still isolating for a few more days, there is no sign of any exposure to Covid from our extended trip.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:04 AM   #24
InkedMarie

NH Bulldog, where did you purchase your Keystone?

2021 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 32 rli
InkedMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:26 AM   #25
NH_Bulldog

I drove out to Colerain RV in Delaware, OH because no one had what I wanted locally. Country Camper (where we bought two from previously) had an older holdover model but wouldn’t budge on price. With a newer model at a MUCH lower price it was worth it to drive. I was in OH on business, so I inspected and did a walkthrough, then made the deal all in person. Flew home later that week and then drove out to pick it up the following week with all my add-ons installed and PDI issues resolved. Overall it was a good experience.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:44 AM   #26
InkedMarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
I drove out to Colerain RV in Delaware, OH because no one had what I wanted locally. Country Camper (where we bought two from previously) had an older holdover model but wouldn’t budge on price. With a newer model at a MUCH lower price it was worth it to drive. I was in OH on business, so I inspected and did a walkthrough, then made the deal all in person. Flew home later that week and then drove out to pick it up the following week with all my add-ons installed and PDI issues resolved. Overall it was a good experience.
Wow, long way to go! Ours is from CW in Conway. Great to work with on purchasing; no issues yet so I can’t comment on service. I shop at CW in Chichester but won’t buy an RV from them.

2021 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 32 rli
InkedMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:46 PM   #27
JesPasnThru

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
As former pop up owner (haven’t made it to fiver) I’ll tell you it is nice not to have to worry about the canvas blowing off. With tt’s the wind just blows them over and you crawl out of the rubble.
That would be a trip to remember.

What I did with my summer vacation...pried myself out of a mangled pop can.
05 Cougar 285 2013 F150 5L (soon to be upgraded)
“I want to know God’s thoughts. The rest are details.”
-Einstein
JesPasnThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:01 PM   #28
JesPasnThru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
We have veered far enough that I should be ok.

We have all rescue cats. Be it a dog or cat, those furry creatures know when a caretaker adopts them. I have spent the last 3 years trying to get one cat to trust me. I can now pet her and she rubs her face on my Palm.
It’s SO interesting to me what animals DO understand. There’s only one person outside of our family who my livestock guardian dog, Bailey, likes. The neighbor south of us raises horses and has a knack with animals, and Bailey knows it. I used to think she was slipping thru the fence to visit their dog, but when I retrieved her the other day, I realized she goes to visit the lady!
-Einstein
Old 08-14-2020, 08:54 AM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
As former pop up owner (haven’t made it to fiver) I’ll tell you it is nice not to have to worry about the canvas blowing off. With tt’s the wind just blows them over and you crawl out of the rubble.

I got my pop up from my parents many years ago. They sold it because they took it to Valley of Fires outside of Carrizozo NM. The little campsites sit right at the top of a ridge in a huge valley of black lava. The first night they had a windstorm as it typical for the country with the wind blowing so hard it was pulling the canvas off and rocking the trailer until they actually did think they were going to blow over and down into the lava flows. They packed it up that night and went back home. Sold it to me right afterwards.

I'm the person responsible for sidetracking the thread about the dog and I apologize. That name just struck me and the story just kind of popped out. I'll try to keep on track hopefully....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:43 AM   #30
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I got my pop up from my parents many years ago. They sold it because they took it to Valley of Fires outside of Carrizozo NM. The little campsites sit right at the top of a ridge in a huge valley of black lava. The first night they had a windstorm as it typical for the country with the wind blowing so hard it was pulling the canvas off and rocking the trailer until they actually did think they were going to blow over and down into the lava flows. They packed it up that night and went back home. Sold it to me right afterwards.

I'm the person responsible for sidetracking the thread about the dog and I apologize. That name just struck me and the story just kind of popped out. I'll try to keep on track hopefully....
Your parents weren't concerned about you blowing away? Reminds me when my mother would say "why don't you eat this, I'm just going to throw it away"!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:06 PM   #31
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Your parents weren't concerned about you blowing away? Reminds me when my mother would say "why don't you eat this, I'm just going to throw it away"!
I figure they thought I could take care of myself and I did a WHOLE lot more camping than they did. After I bought it and used it a few times I'm thinking that last line in your post was what they should have done in the first place.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 02:42 PM   #32
JesPasnThru

Quote:
-Einstein