Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2020, 06:41 PM   #1
Merc0085

Is this a fair price?

Hello everyone, after researching for quite a while I think we have finally decided to get a Bullet 290BHS. Now it comes down to trying to figure out pricing. I’m new to purchasing any type of RV so this part is a bit challenging for me. After hours of YouTube videos and months of searching forums it seems like 30% off MSRP is fairly standard. Now from there is where things start to get murky. I’m going to be purchasing in Florida so I expect some sort of transport fees (i can’t go far due to being military and therefore restricted due to Covid). Keystone website puts the MSRP at 34,442. The first dealer I went to said the list price was 41,500 but they could give me a heck of a deal for $37,300 out the door. Obviously I told them to pack sand. The next dealer I spoke to offered $29,367 out the door which seems much more reasonable. I figure about $1800 for shipping and another $1800ish for taxes plus and approximately $500 dealer fee puts a sale price around 25,285. I was thinking if they would throw in a good WDH at the $29,367 it may be a fair deal. Am I way off base? What am I missing? Any input is greatly appreciated.
Merc0085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:34 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Fair price is subjective and involves tons of personal "weighing of the facts".

Keystone lists the msrp at 34442, start there. That should be too high for just a plain jane unit. Dealers make up their own msrp's, tell you they are giving you a huge discount, then sell it to you at msrp. Know that number as a benchmark. Anyone giving you something different needs to have some documentation of the "adds" that account for the difference. Exterior and interior protection plans, already added to the msrp should be avoided like the plague or tell them to take them off the price.

To me, look at 30% off the Keystone msrp to start - that is the base trailer with whatever "mandated" options are required on the unit from Keystone. You need to know the dealer; I will pay more for a trailer from a GOOD dealer than I would from "anyone". Anything else you add; delivery, hitch etc. will depend on how deep you cut on the first pass.

If you are paying 1800 for shipping I would ask what you know about the seller and what your intentions are for service/warranty work? That can, will, and has made folks totally miserable.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:09 PM   #3
Merc0085

Thank you for your comments. The dealer is a camping world which is not ideal but happens to be the only dealer in my area carrying the bullet line. The shipping I mention is what I assume the dealer pays. I will be buying it local to me. From my understanding if I buy a camper from somewhere in the Midwest near where they are made one can expect to buy it at msrp less discount plus TT&L. But the farther away you live/purchase it from the price goes up a bit as the dealer has to pay for shipping. Is this true? The first dealer I mentioned with the ridiculous price did show me the receipt from a shipping company for $1800 to ship it from Indiana. As far as options this particular unit has no additional options so it should be MSRP. As far as buying from a good dealer that would be great but since I’m active duty I have less incentive since I will be moving across the country again soon.
Merc0085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:26 PM   #4
Brantlyj

When I bought mine I figured there would be a delivery charge similar to when buying a car.
I asked what the fee was so I could figure out my total price as we negotiated. To my surprise they said it’s already factored into the price. Other than TTL there were no other fees or other crap that’s tacked on the backside.
It would probably be best to just ask what the fees are as I suppose every dealer is different.
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:38 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

I've never bought a trailer with delivery charges like a car. That number they post should include that. Remember, check all other dealers, close or not. Those prices are going to be if you want to buy that trailer somewhere close. If you have to have it delivered that should be a separate line item. Buy it on site, deliver 50 miles, should be the same.

Look at the msrp on Keystone and use that as a yardstick...they have built in LOTS of fluff so that's where I would start and hold the dealer's feet to the fire on it. As far as CW I've had great luck with them; just know the game, know other numbers other than theirs (your selling dealer). It's like working a car deal but the CW msrp is the normal window sticker msrp on a car...not what the dealer dreams up. They will take you to the bank if you don't work on them.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:07 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Just a thought: if you buy a trailer from a dealer that isn’t near you, who’s to say they will do a proper PDI knowing it’s probably never coming back for warranty repairs. Then when you receive it and it has issues who is going to fix it?

Just asking because there is a dealer in our area that pushes them “over the curb” and when something doesn’t work after you take delivery they won’t fix it, or put you off for months. Save $$ up front to spend it PLUS when you have a problem? I have always maintained, DONT buy anything until you have laid your eyes and hands on it, and have verified that EVERYTHING works.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 06:51 PM   #7
K_NEL

Merc, I follow what you mean by delivery fee. I bought my TT from a local General RV in Ohio. On top of the asking price they add in the shipping which is what they pay to ship it from the factory to their lot. So, even though I bought a TT “locally” there was still a shipping fee added. I negotiated for them to take off the shipping fee and half of their prep fee. It saved me about $1,200.
K_NEL is offline   Reply With Quote