Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2020, 11:48 AM   #1
Jenny76

New axles and tires

My husband is wanting to get new axels for our 2017 premiere 29RK. It makes a terrible cracking noise when turning. We are needing new tires anyway so he wants new axels. Anyone put new axils on there RV???
Jenny76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:07 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Is he certain it's the axles ? Many weight distributing hitches will make load crackling and popping noises when making tight turns.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 01:04 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

Might also want to inspect the wheel bearings while you are at it. The axles won't cause noises in any way I know of and if the tires are wearing (perhaps prematurely?) then wheel bearings may be your issue. Don't know much about the hitches Marshall brought up but since he is a lot smarter than me, I am sure that might also be your symphony of sound. And welcome; always a good idea to go to your profile and edit your signature to includes your camper year/make/model as well as your tow vehicle! Makes answering questions a lot easier with a frame of reference.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 03:12 PM   #4
bobbecky

With electric drum brakes on these rigs, there are a lot of parts that rattle around inside the drums. Sit in any RV Park and listen to the rigs moving about, and you will hear all the same noises. The change we made on our rig was to change out the electric drum brakes for electric over hydraulic disc brakes and the noise is completely gone, just the electric pump running and that is hard to hear. Along with quiet brakes, we can stop much quicker and safely with the discs.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 05:01 PM   #5
LewisB

I changed the axles on a previous 5th wheel, but I only did so because I was significantly over-loading the OE axles (which were undersized based on the GVWR). It can be done, but it is a lot of work. And these things have a significant number of key measurements; they need to be manufactured to fit your trailer, spring hangers, width, drop, etc. You can work with Dexter to get all the measurements they need, but it can be a fairly large project.

I would be reluctant to replace the axles because they are "making terrible noises" - the likelyhood of this being the axles is quite small in my mind. As George and others have suggested, I'd start with weighing the trailer and making sure you are not over loaded. Then inspect the wheel bearings and races to see where the noise is coming from. That also allows you to inspect the brakes, drums, and spindles. My guess is that if you have a problem, it won't be the axles. Also, as previously stated, trailer axles are under a lot of stress when making a sharp turn - they do make "strange" noises until you get used to them. JMHO
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 05:21 PM   #6
Customer1

Axles don't make noise.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:06 PM   #7
tech740

When you do the tires check brakes and wheel bearings. Also look at the shackles and bushings a lot or rattling and creaking come from those components. I would not replace axles unless they are bent or have an actual issue. Trailer just creak and groan when you drag them around corners.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 12:52 AM   #8
Roscommon48

get to a trailer service center or axle place to evaluate.

as for tires go up a rating if you can.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:47 PM   #9
Summergirl

Check your shackles and bushings. As well the equalizer. Our brother in law changed out to wet bushings and new equalizers and has eliminated the noise. We are doing ours when it comes back.

Tags
tires