Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2020, 04:49 AM   #41
gkainz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob R View Post
^^^^

When I was onboard the USS Forrestal the shop I worked in (AIMD Power/Generating) shared a space with the E2 radar bench and AT's. We had a west coast squadron onboard for one of our deployments and IIRC some of them cross decked when we were relieved in the Med. We did the cross deck in the Atlantic. They are the reason I ended up in San Diego, they made it sound like paradise compared to Norfolk (it was!).

In preparation for my last tour where I went to VRC 30 (C2s) in San Diego I did the E2/C2 RAG at Miramar (VAW110).

bob
Hey Bob - when were you at VRC 30 and VAW-110? I was at 110 from 77-79 and again in '83. A good friend of mine (best man at my wedding) was at VRC-30 in the mid-90s.
Greg
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 05:14 AM   #42
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

This is a cool thread. I was in the Navy from 72 to 75. I was stationed on the USS Ticonderogs CVS 14. Our job was to hunt submarines. We flew A 4's F8"s Sonar aircraft I forgot the names of them. I was a quartermaster on the bridge. I spent many hours on the bridge. i was allowed to watch take offs and landings from the flight captains office at the rear of the bridge. We couldn't fly the F14's because we had a wooden flight deck and the afterburners were just to hot.
After Perl Harbor while in port all aircraft and helicopters would fly into port. You cant launch aircraft from a stationary ship. Being on a aircraft carrier was the most exciting thing in the fleet. I was also on a gun mount during GQ. We had 5"-38's. The projectile came in 2 pieces. the business end and powder charge. We got to spend a day shooting some rounds. I was the fuse setter. I was the last person to walk off the ship after we decommissioned her in 74 I believe. I received a nice folder from the Navy with a page from the log book with my last entry. I had the best time on that ship. You have brought back some wonderful memories. I just cant seem to find any pictures of my ship but I have them somewhere.
+Ruff Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 06:29 AM   #43
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by +Ruff Rider View Post
This is a cool thread. I was in the Navy from 72 to 75. I was stationed on the USS Ticonderogs CVS 14. Our job was to hunt submarines. We flew A 4's F8"s Sonar aircraft I forgot the names of them. I was a quartermaster on the bridge. I spent many hours on the bridge. i was allowed to watch take offs and landings from the flight captains office at the rear of the bridge. We couldn't fly the F14's because we had a wooden flight deck and the afterburners were just to hot.
After Perl Harbor while in port all aircraft and helicopters would fly into port. You cant launch aircraft from a stationary ship. Being on a aircraft carrier was the most exciting thing in the fleet. I was also on a gun mount during GQ. We had 5"-38's. The projectile came in 2 pieces. the business end and powder charge. We got to spend a day shooting some rounds. I was the fuse setter. I was the last person to walk off the ship after we decommissioned her in 74 I believe. I received a nice folder from the Navy with a page from the log book with my last entry. I had the best time on that ship. You have brought back some wonderful memories. I just cant seem to find any pictures of my ship but I have them somewhere.
I spent nearly 31 years in the navy. All in aviation. During that time I was ship's company once. That was on the USS Boxer (LPH-4) in 1963. The Boxer also had a wooden deck. It had been a CVA and served in Korea. It was then converted to a LPH and hauled Marines and their Helicopters to Vietnam. Because it did not have an angle deck it could transit the Panama Canal.

Remember these?

Click image for larger version

Name:	10080498.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	26857
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 06:57 AM   #44
Bob R

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
Hey Bob - when were you at VRC 30 and VAW-110? I was at 110 from 77-79 and again in '83. A good friend of mine (best man at my wedding) was at VRC-30 in the mid-90s.
Greg

I was at VRC 30 from 89 to 92. I retired out of there, I made it my last tour so I could retire in San Diego, that didn't work out too well (the retirement in SD) but I did find my present wife there, so I guess it did work out OK.

bob
Old 04-24-2020, 07:07 AM   #45
Ken / Claudia

Great stories guys, I never served, but like to read about and learn about our military history.
Side story, my Dad was OR National Guard/ Air Force at PDX full time for 34 years as I recall. He worked the flight line most or all the time. Crew Chief to many jets. An F-4 tail number 37699 was his most talked about. After he retired I found a model with his name on the side as CC and the name he put on it "Red Barron". The fighter had 2 kills in Vietnam. He said it went to the bone yard and maybe was destroyed when replaced by the F-15s.
It happened to end up being his last birthday when I researched that plane and found it in England on display at a air museum. It was repainted with their markings. I had a blown up photo of it for him. His mind and health were failing quickly, he could see that it was a F-4 and when I read him the tail number he remembered it. I told him the story as I knew it. He was glad to see it on display and then made the comment "Why did they have to change the markings".
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:53 AM   #46
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
"Why did they have to change the markings"?

Position of the aircraft's log book is passed on with the aircraft. The USA could not keep it once sold to another country.

We're not going to let another country us our "markings". Once that log book was passed on to them they were obligated to remove all USA markings/insignia.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:37 AM   #47
JRTJH
Site Team

Ken,

The USAF historical office manages all aircraft "loans" for display purposes. Few are "given to someone to display" rather they are "demilitarized" and offered for loan. Many reasons for this, such as "future one of a kind parts" requirements to keep other aircraft flying, political considerations, loss of funding to maintain the airplane at the location or other things (like some significant historical event associated with that airplane)… Consider, as an example, there were 4 airplanes that flew dignitaries to sign a peace treaty ending a war. The treaty was signed on a specific Navy vessel. If that Navy vessel was put on display as a memorial, they may "ask the Air Force" for one of the planes that was a "significant part of that event"... So, the Air Force might "pull that display from one location to provide it to another "more significant location".... They may, offer to provide a similar airplane that can be 'repainted to resemble' the airplane that was moved....

There's loads and LOADS of airframes on display around the country, overseas on US military bases and in other countries, many of which flew the same type airframe under their own flag.

As an example, the Commander's aircraft (traditionally the oldest airframe in the unit inventory) at the 87th FIS, KI Sawyer AFB, MI, was 570231. That airplane was shot down in the drone program at Tyndall AFB, FL. When KI Sawyer was closed, the county historical society wanted an F-106 to put on static display as a part of their "Heritage Park". Since that airplane, 231, was a significant part of the unit history but was no longer in existence, the Air Force historical office provided another F-106 for display with the authority to repaint it to "represent the unit history".

It's the same with the F-86 that's on display at England AFB, LA. That airplane represents the last aircraft associated with Clare Chennault as a member of the "Flying Tigers". It's not actually the airframe he flew "one time in the early 50's, but it's a similar airframe that represents the unit heritage and the hero who flew it. England AFB was the "last location of the "Flying Tigers" and was located "very near Clare Chennault's home.

ADDED: I think, in the past 10 years or so, that F-86 has been moved to another location as a part of the Flying Tiger history and has been replaced with an F-84 that was flown by the 23 TFW "Flying Tigers" at another time in the wing's history, while it was operating at England AFB...

Anyway, most of the display aircraft are not "given to some entity for display" but are loaned to them and often are "moved or relocated" to places where their presence might better preserve the Air Force history. I'd guess that the Navy aircraft displays are probably managed pretty much the same.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:33 AM   #48
CWtheMan

Davis-Monthan Air Force Base at Tucson, AZ

Aboard this huge AFB you will find the largest military aircraft “bone yard” in the country. It is managed by the Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Center.

I actually “cannibalized” A7 aircraft there on two occasions. The first time was for a block of Corsair IIs for Taiwan and then another time for a block to South Korea.

The basic service life of an aircraft is its airframe. It can only be overhauled a few times depending on the assessment of repairs needed to extend its life. Normally items like ailerons, flaps, speed brakes, and unit horizontal tail items may be cannibalized for spare parts. So can most of the hydraulically controlled units such as landing gear and flight control units.

After retirement and doing our full time thing we stopped in Tucson a few times and Linda got to tour the graveyard with me. There are many aircraft on static display around the base. Some are quite unique like the U2.

The aerial view is credited to Wikipedia. The F4 with Robin Olds written at the pilot cockpit entrance was taken by me.

General Olds is an iconic USAF pilot. This particular F4 was never flown by him but is a dedication to his combat missions while flying the F4 Phantom II in Vietnam.

Name:	1280px-thumbnail[1].jpg
Views:	182
Size:	413.5 KB
ID:	26864 Click image for larger version

Name:	AZ - DMAFB - 18[1].JPG
Views:	171
Size:	247.7 KB
ID:	26865
Old 04-24-2020, 11:48 AM   #49
gkainz

Quote:
I was at VRC 30 from 89 to 92. I retired out of there, I made it my last tour so I could retire in San Diego, that didn't work out too well (the retirement in SD) but I did find my present wife there, so I guess it did work out OK.

bob
Did you know a LCDR Buck Bentley at VRC-30? I can't recall the exact dates he was there, but might be that timeframe.
Yeah, I managed to find a San Diego beach babe who agreed to ride shotgun with me, too. Celebrating 35 years in December.
Old 04-24-2020, 11:52 AM   #50
gkainz

Quote:
Originally Posted by +Ruff Rider View Post
You cant launch aircraft from a stationary ship.
We launched the last of the Navy's RF-8 Crusaders from anchor in Naples, Italy off the Nimitz ... so, you can do it ... just not regular practice.
I never saw it, but the training films for the E-2 showed a deck run launch ... on 1 engine! Not saying I would want to do it, but apparently it was possible!
Old 04-24-2020, 12:20 PM   #51
Bob R

Quote:
You cant launch aircraft from a stationary ship.
Let me add that during the Greek/Turk dust up over Cyprus in the early 70's we would launch an RA5C every morning while we were anchored in Souda Bay so we could get up to date intel. We also launched F4s at other times whie anchored.

bob
Old 04-24-2020, 12:52 PM   #52
CWtheMan

Camp Blanding

This Joint Training center owns a lot of Florida land. It’s main gate is located on FL highway 16 about 7 miles east of Starke, FL. FL-16 is a link between US-301 and Blanding Blvd in Orange Park, FL.

There is a very large percentage of military bases around the country that must feel compelled to display military aircraft; this base is no exception.

There is a large RV park located on a circular lake that has clear water, a rarity in Florida. When this picture was taken we were scouting the RV Park. In the future we stayed there twice. During this visit we were completing our winter months at a KOA in Starke, FL. That KOA gets nothing but accolades from its northern snowbird residents

Name:	Camp Blanding, FL.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	26867
Old 04-24-2020, 05:25 PM   #53
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
I worked in Naval Aviation for 40+ years. I’ve seen a lot of military aircraft come and go. Would you like to see where I’ve found a lot of them? My pictures will include aircraft from all USA services.

These are just introduction pictures. The first is me (18) just after reporting to my first duty station right out of boot camp . The place; Naval Air Station, Oahu, TH; the Squadron AIRBARSRON2, (1957); the aircraft Super Connie, Navy designation, WV-2, referred to as, Willy Victor.

Attachment 26723 Attachment 26724
Yes indeed!
Attached Images

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:16 PM   #54
Ken / Claudia

Thanks for the information John and CW.
I did not check if it was on loan or given to England. I thought the tail number would remain the same plane no matter where the plane went or for what reason. It seems that is not true. In the end my Dad was happy to think that it was once his plane. I could see that in his eyes and words.
Guys, more old plane stories, please.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 05:02 AM   #55
CWtheMan

Trip to Diego Garcia

In early 1980 I was working as a Carrier Air Wing 8 flight deck maintenance chief on the USS Nimitz off the coast of Oman. Although due for a shore duty assignment I had been told I would stay with the Nimitz until it returned to Norfolk.

It’s nearly impossible to try and figure out the why and when of Naval duty assignment orders. Especially when you have absolutely no experience in an assignment you’re selected for.

Out of the clear blue I got transfer orders to the staff of the Commander in Chief, US Atlantic Fleet. The priority was level 2 with a report no later than date. No one on the Nimitz or its battle force commander was going to question orders from CINCLANTFLT, a four star command.

There were no flights to anywhere from the Nimitz to a land base, we were too far from Diego Garcia (A small British owned Atoll out in the middle of the Indian Ocean). So the plan was for me to fly over to the USS Roanoke and go to Diego Garcia for further transportation.

The pictures depict my transportation for the first leg of my long journey to the CINCLANTFLT compound at Norfolk, VA.

First was a H-46 ride over to the Roanoke, a replenishment oiler & cargo ship. The ride to Diego Garcia took 7 days and I was well rested when I got there. The rest of the trip is an even longer story.

Name:	h46_153413[1].jpg
Views:	156
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	26888 Click image for larger version

Name:	USS_ROANOKE_(AOR-7)_underway_off_the_coast_of_Guantanamo_Bay,_Cuba.JPEG[1].jpeg
Views:	179
Size:	310.3 KB
ID:	26889
Old 04-25-2020, 09:40 AM   #56
Badbart56

Quote:
I was a CVW8 flight deck maintenance chief when the H-53s came aboard Nimitz from Diego Garcia, 1979.
Small world. I was deployed to WESTPAC in 79 with VP-19. And went to Dodge twice.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 10:10 AM   #57
cavediver

After a double engine change, we lined up with the back of the island and took off at anchor in Athens. That's with a C1A. Ya gotta love propellers and pratt-whitney R1820's. We're off the ground in 458 feet.
cavediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 12:11 PM   #58
CWtheMan

MCAS Yuma, AZ

This display of aircraft is at the main gate at Marine Air Station, Yuma, AZ.

I have a lot of pictures like this from military bases all around the country. Like this one, many of them will be pictures taken by me, or Linda riding shotgun..

Name:	MCAS Yuma, AZ - (01).JPG
Views:	382
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	26894
Old 04-25-2020, 03:21 PM   #59
Badbart56

Quote:
This display of aircraft is at the main gate at Marine Air Station, Yuma, AZ.

I have a lot of pictures like this from military bases all around the country. Like this one, many of them will be pictures taken by me, or Linda riding shotgun..

Attachment 26894
I worked in AIMD with a Marine from a Harrier Squadron from Cherry Point NC when we were in Kadena rebuilding tires. Those AV8B's were pretty cool to watch landing and taking off!

2010 FZ 405

Old 04-25-2020, 03:42 PM   #60
Badbart56

Quote:
My favorite. Of course I may be a little prejudiced, it brought me home every time we went out, for more than 5000 hours worth of boring holes in the sky.

bob
Are you on the P-3 Orion Veterans Facebook site? Jim Hunnewell has that pic on there.

2010 FZ 405