Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2020, 08:13 AM   #1
Gary Rivers

Springdale 262RK Roof balloon

My 2019 262RK suffered TPO roof Balloon when I was returning from a long trip from Mississippi to NY while traveling home. While adjusting the mirrors while on the highway at 65mph, noticed the roof at the front edge of the travel trailer was ballooning. I slowed to 55MPH which reduced the size of the ballooned roof and pulled into the nearest exit. I was able to get up on the roof and was lucky to find no rips in the roof, just wrinkles. Was able to flatten the roof as much as possible noticing it was still tacky underneath the membrane. see attached picture. I drove slow and stopped a few times to flatten the roof an inspect for tears. was able to return home and make an appointment with my dealer to have it looked at and repaired.

This should be covered under the 3 year keystone warranty. How many others had this happen in the past couple of years?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200727_084846.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	29059  
Gary Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:25 AM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Rivers View Post
My 2019 262RK suffered TPO roof Balloon when I was returning from a long trip from Mississippi to NY while traveling home. While adjusting the mirrors while on the highway at 65mph, noticed the roof at the front edge of the travel trailer was ballooning. I slowed to 55MPH which reduced the size of the ballooned roof and pulled into the nearest exit. I was able to get up on the roof and was lucky to find no rips in the roof, just wrinkles. Was able to flatten the roof as much as possible noticing it was still tacky underneath the membrane. see attached picture. I drove slow and stopped a few times to flatten the roof an inspect for tears. was able to return home and make an appointment with my dealer to have it looked at and repaired.

This should be covered under the 3 year keystone warranty. How many others had this happen in the past couple of years?
I've seen countless RVs on the highway with the roof ballooned up about a foot so it's not uncommon.
Not sure where/how you came up with a 3 year warranty, unless you have some sort of extended coverage, won't be through Keystone, so good luck with that.
The roof membrane is warrantied for 12 years against defects, was the case in the past, but does not cover poor installation which is the issue you have.
If a replacement is recommended go with RV Armor or similar rather than OEM material, it's a spray/rolled on coating that's warrantied forever to anyone owning the RV, now or in the future, NO more roof issues EVER.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:41 AM   #3
Gary Rivers

Thanks for the reply. I had noted the roof had two soft areas at the outer leading edges with the dealer before and they must of just pushed them down but never addresses the poor glue job. I do not know if I get a choice on the repair unless its on my dime.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:03 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The "Keystone 1 year all inclusive/3 year structural warranty" does include the roof... The way the warranty reads is:

"“Structural” means the RV’s (i) main steel frame and steel support members (outriggers and cross members) (ii) exterior sidewalls, laminated or non-laminated, including fiberglass, aluminum siding and wall studs (iii) floors, laminated or non-laminated, including decking and floor joists (iv) roofs, laminated or non-laminated, including decking, roof rafters and roof material installation (v) fiberglass cap(s) including paint application, and windshield installation, if applicable (this structural warranty item does not cover damages to the cap(s) such as impact, rock chips, dents, scratches or failure to maintain all as addressed in the disclaimers below and elsewhere in this Owner’s Manual), and (vi) slide out box exterior sidewalls/end walls/roofs/floors, skeletal framing, decking and roof material installation."

The part in red clearly states the roof installation is covered for 3 years... The part in blue "may become an issue with Keystone "IF THE DEALER" doesn't present the claim in such a way that indicates YOU have completed all maintenance inspections/re-sealing as required by the manual......

It may become a "he said/she said" bouncing ball, depending on how the dealership reports the claim.... Let's hope they do a good job of documenting the problem to the factory !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 12:24 PM   #5
Gary Rivers

Thank you JRTJH for the Warranty info. I did do my diligence and my camper was serviced and sealed for awning leak prior. I just hope not to have issues and the dealer does not keep it too long for what ever repair they decide.
Old 10-16-2020, 03:00 AM   #6
Gary Rivers

Smile My Dealer did warranty the roof repair

I am impressed with my dealer Meyer's RV of Syracuse NY who was able to schedule me an inspection and then a Repair appointment within a few weeks.
They received the Warranty repair Authorization from Keystone (3yr Structural) and completed the authorized repair. To fix my roof glue separation they had to pull back the roof replace the plywood at the forward section and then glue the roof back down and reseal the edges. This repair was completed in 4 days as the glue needs proper time to cure and set.
We are satisfied with the repair and keep a close eye on our roof while on the Highways.
Old 10-16-2020, 03:31 PM   #7
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Rivers View Post
I am impressed with my dealer Meyer's RV of Syracuse NY who was able to schedule me an inspection and then a Repair appointment within a few weeks.
They received the Warranty repair Authorization from Keystone (3yr Structural) and completed the authorized repair. To fix my roof glue separation they had to pull back the roof replace the plywood at the forward section and then glue the roof back down and reseal the edges. This repair was completed in 4 days as the glue needs proper time to cure and set.
We are satisfied with the repair and keep a close eye on our roof while on the Highways.
Hopefully the fix is better than factory. I would bet that it is!

Tags
roof, springdale