Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2021, 02:33 AM   #1
RickV

Warming up Ceiling LEDs

When I turn on the living room or bedroom lights it is so bright I could perform surgery. In the living room there are 7 and 2 in both of the slides and there are another 4 in the bedroom. I don't really want to replace all the Ceiling LEDs with new "Warmer" ones. I have been looking at CTO Photography Lighting Gels and wondered if anyone has tried using these to warm up their LEDs.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 04:58 AM   #2
ChuckS

Have you considered trying a PWM dimmer installed at the output connections of the In Command BCM for those overhead LEDs? I "think" this would work and if so would allow you to maintain the OEM LED light fixtures in that area of your Alpine

Two images of BCM Pinout for Version "Global Connect" which should be whats in your 2021 ALpine

First image is for NCSP3 BCM

Second image is for NCSP35 BCM

You can see the light groups listed... find the one for the overhead LEDs in that area of the Alpine and install a PWM dimmer on the output and ground of that circuit to have dimmer control of those LEDs...

I cant attest for certain that this would work for a series of LEDs ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (165).png
Views:	147
Size:	231.8 KB
ID:	36477   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (164).png
Views:	114
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	36478  

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 05:26 AM   #3
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Have you considered trying a PWM dimmer installed at the output connections of the In Command BCM for those overhead LEDs? I "think" this would work and if so would allow you to maintain the OEM LED light fixtures in that area of your Alpine

Two images of BCM Pinout for Version "Global Connect" which should be whats in your 2021 ALpine

First image is for NCSP3 BCM

Second image is for NCSP35 BCM

You can see the light groups listed... find the one for the overhead LEDs in that area of the Alpine and install a PWM dimmer on the output and ground of that circuit to have dimmer control of those LEDs...

I cant attest for certain that this would work for a series of LEDs ...
Thanks, I think I can figure this out looks pretty straight forward. Any particular PWM you recommend? Will this have any effect on the Warranty?

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 10-15-2021, 11:05 AM   #4
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
Thanks, I think I can figure this out looks pretty straight forward. Any particular PWM you recommend? Will this have any effect on the Warranty?
Will this have any effect on the Warranty?[/QUOTE]

I’m sorry to inform you but just uttering that phrase actually just voided your warranty
Old 10-15-2021, 04:43 PM   #5
jasin1

On a serious note let us know how it works out…I can’t stand the bright led lights
Old 10-15-2021, 05:33 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
On a serious note let us know how it works out…I can’t stand the bright led lights

Now come on Jasin....can't stand "bright" LED lights? What IS bright? After spending decades in the "glow" of a flashlight, campfire or Coleman lantern I LIKE bright (how do you pluck those irritating eyebrow hairs?)? The soft, yellow glow of a campfire is one thing around the campfire, it's whole nother animal when I've got a razor sharp knife slicing and dicing food. I've about decided on 4000K minimum and use 5000K over the kitchen - since I like to SEE, not grope.

Of course now I've had these eye surgeries; I can count the feathers on an eagle at 100yds but can't see squat (used to have perfect close vision) within a couple of feet. I'm thinking about going to 10,000K and cheater glasses a 3.0magnification.....oh wait, would that be Mr. Magoo?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 06:07 PM   #7
jasin1

I don’t mind the bright lights in the kitchen and living room area of the fifth wheel..I have dimmable lights over the table and lounge chairs..we also have a little table lamp we use on one of the end tables. I leave the light on the coffee bar area and the microwave surface light on when watching tv or if I want less light

It’s the lights in the bedroom that are too bright most of the time..those I want to have on a dimmer switch
Old 10-15-2021, 07:18 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I don’t mind the bright lights in the kitchen and living room area of the fifth wheel..I have dimmable lights over the table and lounge chairs..we also have a little table lamp we use on one of the end tables. I leave the light on the coffee bar area and the microwave surface light on when watching tv or if I want less light

It’s the lights in the bedroom that are too bright most of the time..those I want to have on a dimmer switch
Maybe you've just gotten usedto the "soft glow" of you tube on your phone. sorry, it was just too easy.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 02:22 AM   #9
RickV

Quote:
I am gonna wait until we get home on November 1st to mess with them. Looking at BCM there four sections it controls Kitchen, Bar, Living Room and Awning. The only one of those groups I want to tone down are the 7 Living Room ones. The two Living Room Slideouts, the Bedroom and the Bathroom all have rocker switches so I'll pick up dimmer switches for those.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 10-16-2021, 09:29 AM   #10
ChuckS

Quote:
I am gonna wait until we get home on November 1st to mess with them. Looking at BCM there four sections it controls Kitchen, Bar, Living Room and Awning. The only one of those groups I want to tone down are the 7 Living Room ones. The two Living Room Slideouts, the Bedroom and the Bathroom all have rocker switches so I'll pick up dimmer switches for those.
Even though the Slide outs have "rocker switches" get the PWM dimmer... then you know it will work with those slide out LEDs... A normal dimmer switch may or may not work with the LED.. it all depends on how the LED is made...

Old 10-16-2021, 09:48 AM   #11
ChuckS

If you use this link it will help you figure out which light group goes to what…

Your looking for green/white with a label of 1,2,3 or 4… I’d drop one LED fixtures and look at the wires and get the code off it…

Then you will know what BCM pin is sending 12 volts to that group of LEDs you want to dim..

Link for wire color code..
https://keystone-rv-dealer-app.cdn.p...box_Oct20b.pdf

Also.. you “May” have to change the trigger value for that light group when you add in the Dimmer PWM…

Also for those slide outs if you change the OEM switch out and install a PWM dimmer switch you might have to change the original trigger value currently set for the BCM

See image…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DACD39D4-77B3-4F45-BE2A-8FFA9EE4E7CE.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	36496  

Old 10-28-2021, 07:11 AM   #12
bdoppel

One thing I've done is cut out a piece of waxed paper and put it in the cover. That diffuses and softens the lights quite a bit. If you decide you prefer them bright again, just take out the waxed paper.

----------------------
2020 Springdale SG280BH
2016 GMC Sierra 2500 HD
bdoppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 07:30 AM   #13
Bigt47

What is the color Kelvin temperature of your LED bulbs. Have you tried deferent color temperature bulbs. LED color temperature range from 3000Kevlin to 7000Kevlin, that interrupts from a yellowish warm glow (similar to incandescent) to a really bright cold and white light. The lower the Kelvin temperature the warner the color. Hope this helps.
Bigt47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 11:29 AM   #14
LadyFaire

LED bulbs come in a number of 'colors'. I changed all of ours out to 'warm' white. Not a problem at all. And they aren't even very expensive. I don't think I paid more than $20 for ALL of the bulbs.

2006 Winnebago Sightseer 30B
2019 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 SR V6
TINSTAAFL - "there is no such thing as a free lunch" Any farmer can tell you:
"you don't work, you don't eat." It is that simple.
LadyFaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 01:29 PM   #15
Flysnrides2

Quote:
Hi
I have been trying to figure out how to wire a dimmer in my living and bedroom area - 2022 26RBS Cougar - noticed you may have figured it out ? Any info greatly aporeciated
Patrick
Flysnrides2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 02:44 PM   #16
LadyCPA

I believe there is a thread somewhere showing how this is done.
Columbia SC
LadyCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 05:06 PM   #17
bobbecky

Many of these RV light fixtures that are LED's, do not have 'bulbs', but have hard wired led circuit boards installed. If they fail, they are trash and you replace the entire unit.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led