Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2021, 08:39 AM   #1
RogerThat99

Convert 90* Open Entrance Door to 180* Open

I have a 2014 Passport 2300BH trailer. The entrance door only opens to a 90 degree angle. My other RV's have always had a door that opens all the way, and have a latch to keep the door from blowing closed in the wind.

Can I remove the little shock absorber thingy, add a latch, and convert my door to open all the way?

I haven't measured it yet, but I am making the assumption that the door will not hit the awning rail when fully open.

Thanks Click image for larger version

Name:	20210827_093626.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	35466
RogerThat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 09:28 AM   #2
CampNBrew2

We hated our gas strut 90* door. I assumed they did that on ours because the door would hit the window glass if opened around 160*. I removed the strut and put a magnetic ball catch, positioned far enough away for the door to clear the open window.

I purchased this ball catch/door stop from Amazon and am not real impressed with the magnet strength, though I have not had an issue with it releasing even in windy conditions.

I also installed a clear screen door slider panel at the same time so now we have wide open views.
2015 Honda CRF250L (Wifes)
Camping, home brewing, and dirt bikes!
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 10:46 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Our door also has the gas strut that prevents it from opening fully. Our awning rail sits "behind the door" and if the awning is open, the door would be damaged if the wind happened to "push it open". So, I've left the gas strut in place.

On other floorplans, where the door does clear the awning, if there's no access door or window in the way that would be damaged if the door "slams into that part" then I see no reason why removing the gas strut would not be an option.

If it were me, I'd just use a screwdriver, loosen the gas strut clips and pull it off the balls. Try the door without it for a few days and see if you're satisfied without the gas strut. If you are, then put it in a ziplock bag and stash it away in the passthrough. If you find that you prefer the door like it was, then just snap the gas strut back on the door.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 11:00 AM   #4
RogerThat99

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Our door also has the gas strut that prevents it from opening fully. Our awning rail sits "behind the door" and if the awning is open, the door would be damaged if the wind happened to "push it open". So, I've left the gas strut in place.

On other floorplans, where the door does clear the awning, if there's no access door or window in the way that would be damaged if the door "slams into that part" then I see no reason why removing the gas strut would not be an option.

If it were me, I'd just use a screwdriver, loosen the gas strut clips and pull it off the balls. Try the door without it for a few days and see if you're satisfied without the gas strut. If you are, then put it in a ziplock bag and stash it away in the passthrough. If you find that you prefer the door like it was, then just snap the gas strut back on the door.
That is a solid idea. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2021, 08:02 PM   #5
RogerThat99

Anyone else??
Old 08-28-2021, 04:06 AM   #6
NH_Bulldog

We installed Morryde steps this spring and the gas strut had to go. I posed a question to the group about holding the door open and settled on a set of magnets. In the picture, they are the black circular tabs at the bottom and middle of the door. They are awesome! If your door can’t lay flat against the side wall, you can use a hold-open latch instead. I like the magnets in part because the door sits close to the wall so it doesn’t catch the wind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	03146AEB-83B6-425F-BD4A-1BBF071DF3B8.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	35471  
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:22 AM   #7
RogerThat99

I pulled the gas strut off, and the door opens all the way flat against the trailer. I think I will use those magnets also.
Old 10-02-2021, 07:40 PM   #8
RogerThat99

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
We installed Morryde steps this spring and the gas strut had to go. I posed a question to the group about holding the door open and settled on a set of magnets. In the picture, they are the black circular tabs at the bottom and middle of the door. They are awesome! If your door can’t lay flat against the side wall, you can use a hold-open latch instead. I like the magnets in part because the door sits close to the wall so it doesn’t catch the wind.
Do you remember what brand magnets you bought. I looked on Amazon, and saw a few different brands.
Old 10-03-2021, 04:29 AM   #9
NH_Bulldog

These are the ones I bought. It is a set of two. I put one at the bottom of the door and the other just under the handle. I can’t imagine I paid $34 for them, so the price must have jumped. Either way, they are great.

AP Products 013-09802 Magnetic... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N63U2UZ...p_mob_ap_share
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 06:08 AM   #10
Brentw

Aside from solid items that may be behind the door, I've got the furnace exhaust in the door swing. Removed the shock for a step install, and now I've got a nice little burn mark in my door when I left it wide open and the furnace kicked on.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 07:03 AM   #11
dutchmensport

In addition to the magnets, if it were mine, I'd add some kind of a bumper on the outside of the trailer so if the wind were to catch the door and slam into the side of the trailer, the bumpers would prevent damage to the side of the traler.

All my previous trailers had doors that opened all the way, and several times the wind did catch them and slam them. I shivered every time that happened. But nothing ever got damaged.

My current camper has the slam-proof doors. They are good at NOT slamming, but they are not good at staying open if the wind is blowing the opposite way.
Old 10-03-2021, 07:19 AM   #12
RogerThat99

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
These are the ones I bought. It is a set of two. I put one at the bottom of the door and the other just under the handle. I can’t imagine I paid $34 for them, so the price must have jumped. Either way, they are great.

AP Products 013-09802 Magnetic... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N63U2UZ...p_mob_ap_share
Great. Thanks. I ordered the same ones this morning. I can't believe they are $34 either. Very excessive, but I can't find them anywhere else. I will report back how they work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentw View Post
Aside from solid items that may be behind the door, I've got the furnace exhaust in the door swing. Removed the shock for a step install, and now I've got a nice little burn mark in my door when I left it wide open and the furnace kicked on.
That is a bummer. Luckily my trailer doesn't have anything behind the door when the door is open.
Old 10-03-2021, 07:19 AM   #13
RogerThat99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
In addition to the magnets, if it were mine, I'd add some kind of a bumper on the outside of the trailer so if the wind were to catch the door and slam into the side of the trailer, the bumpers would prevent damage to the side of the traler.

All my previous trailers had doors that opened all the way, and several times the wind did catch them and slam them. I shivered every time that happened. But nothing ever got damaged.

My current camper has the slam-proof doors. They are good at NOT slamming, but they are not good at staying open if the wind is blowing the opposite way.
I was concerned about a door stop/ bumper also. I will definitely look into that.
Old 10-06-2021, 07:13 PM   #14
RogerThat99

I recieved the magnets today. Hopefully I will get time to install them tomorrow.
Old 10-06-2021, 07:52 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerThat99 View Post
I recieved the magnets today. Hopefully I will get time to install them tomorrow.
I'd install them with Sikaflex or Proflex clear sealant. Clean the trailer sidewall and door with alcohol, apply the sealant to the magnet base, put it where you want it and tape it in place with masking tape until the sealant sets up (about 24 hours). That way, there's no holes in your trailer and should you need to remove the magnet catches, all it takes is a plastic razor blade with no damage to the trailer.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-07-2021, 06:00 AM   #16
RogerThat99

Quote:
I'd install them with Sikaflex or Proflex clear sealant. Clean the trailer sidewall and door with alcohol, apply the sealant to the magnet base, put it where you want it and tape it in place with masking tape until the sealant sets up (about 24 hours). That way, there's no holes in your trailer and should you need to remove the magnet catches, all it takes is a plastic razor blade with no damage to the trailer.....
The magnets have a double faced tape on them. The reviews say they stick well.

To clarify, are you saying to use the sealant in addition to the adhesive tape, or do you think the 3M tape will be sufficient?
Old 10-07-2021, 06:17 AM   #17
KimNTerry

I'm late to this party but converted my 90 degree door.
Removed the gas strut and used a plastic t-clip to hold the door open.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

used butyl tape between the clip and exterior and sealed the external with geocell clear.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 07:52 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerThat99 View Post
The magnets have a double faced tape on them. The reviews say they stick well.

To clarify, are you saying to use the sealant in addition to the adhesive tape, or do you think the 3M tape will be sufficient?
All the "magnet door stops" that I've seen are designated for indoor use and the "quality 3M tape" is also designated for indoor use. It may hold the magnet door stop on the trailer sidewall for a week or a summer or ???? Then again, it may get wet, the sun shine on it and destroy the "foam core" allowing it to fall off in a couple of days.... That "3M double sided tape" is not intended for exterior use on an interior doorstop.

Use it if you "trust 3M".... I don't.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-07-2021, 08:18 AM   #19
RogerThat99

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimNTerry View Post
I'm late to this party but converted my 90 degree door.
Removed the gas strut and used a plastic t-clip to hold the door open.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

used butyl tape between the clip and exterior and sealed the external with geocell clear.
Thanks. That is my other option.

Quote:
All the "magnet door stops" that I've seen are designated for indoor use and the "quality 3M tape" is also designated for indoor use. It may hold the magnet door stop on the trailer sidewall for a week or a summer or ???? Then again, it may get wet, the sun shine on it and destroy the "foam core" allowing it to fall off in a couple of days.... That "3M double sided tape" is not intended for exterior use on an interior doorstop.

Use it if you "trust 3M".... I don't.....
Thanks for the information. You answered my question. That is why I was asking you. [emoji106][emoji106]
Old 10-07-2021, 12:31 PM   #20
RogerThat99

Does it matter if the magnet is mounted (stuck on) on top of a graphic? I would prefer to keep them on a section with no graphics.

I am going to put 2 magnets on the door, which is 72" tall. So one magnet at 24" and one at 48" (1/3 and 1/3). The lower one will fall on a graphic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211007_131706.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	36270