Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2021, 08:23 AM   #1
Jim27

Hydraulic Jack problem

I am currently traveling from TX to PA. Yesterday in Cincinnati while sitting in traffic someone told me that my left rear jack was down. I pulled over and my rear left and middle jacks were inches from the ground. I opened the control box and retracted them. After a few miles I pulled over to check and they were down again. I retracted again and pulled off at the next exit. My temporary fix was to retract them and ratchet strap them in the up position. I am camped in Ohio for tonight and luckily the leveling system works except that when I retract, the system keeps making noise when fully retracted where as when working properly the motor stops whirring. I need to travel tomorrow and I guess that if I can’t find a simple fix I will ratchet strap them again until my next stop in PA and then my final stop in PA on Tuesday. I have the Lippert 3.0 leveling system. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Jim27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 09:45 AM   #2
bobbecky

If you have the Lippert 3.0 system, that is not a hydraulic system, but is strictly electric. It would help if you would add your rig model and year to your signature line.
This is the owners manual for the fifth wheel. https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd-0001518.pdf

This is the service manual which might also help. https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...ice_manual.pdf

And last, this is the troubleshooting guide. https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001746.pdf
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 09:55 AM   #3
Jim27

bobbecky, thanks for the info, I’ll read the troubleshooting section and see if I can learn anything from that. I have my trailer listed on my signature but it doesn’t seem to work. I have a 2019 Raptor 425ts. Thanks again.
Old 05-30-2021, 10:06 AM   #4
Jim27

I apologize for misinformation, I have the Lippert level up system.
Old 05-30-2021, 10:13 AM   #5
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim27 View Post
I am currently traveling from TX to PA. Yesterday in Cincinnati while sitting in traffic someone told me that my left rear jack was down. I pulled over and my rear left and middle jacks were inches from the ground. I opened the control box and retracted them. After a few miles I pulled over to check and they were down again. I retracted again and pulled off at the next exit. My temporary fix was to retract them and ratchet strap them in the up position. I am camped in Ohio for tonight and luckily the leveling system works except that when I retract, the system keeps making noise when fully retracted where as when working properly the motor stops whirring. I need to travel tomorrow and I guess that if I can’t find a simple fix I will ratchet strap them again until my next stop in PA and then my final stop in PA on Tuesday. I have the Lippert 3.0 leveling system. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
I did a quick search and it could be debris in the solenoid valve allowing fluid to seep by.. lippert tech said to cycle the jacks up and down a few times and might solve the issue for now.. I guess fluid would need to be drained and replaced in the near future ?
Old 05-30-2021, 10:21 AM   #6
Jim27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I did a quick search and it could be debris in the solenoid valve allowing fluid to seep by.. lippert tech said to cycle the jacks up and down a few times and might solve the issue for now.. I guess fluid would need to be drained and replaced in the near future ?
Ok I’ll try that, thanks.
Old 05-30-2021, 11:38 AM   #7
Jim27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Problem solved! For now at least. Thank you so much for your help. I cycled the jacks several times and they seem to be functioning properly now. They were dropping almost immediately earlier and this time I waited 15 minutes and no dropping. I’m going to ratchet strap them just to be cautious for my next two days of traveling and I will have my engineer friend look at the system when I arrive in PA. Thanks again!
Old 05-30-2021, 02:08 PM   #8
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim27 View Post
Problem solved! For now at least. Thank you so much for your help. I cycled the jacks several times and they seem to be functioning properly now. They were dropping almost immediately earlier and this time I waited 15 minutes and no dropping. I’m going to ratchet strap them just to be cautious for my next two days of traveling and I will have my engineer friend look at the system when I arrive in PA. Thanks again!
Your welcome ..hope it stays fixed for ya
Old 06-01-2021, 08:51 AM   #9
Big 417

Mine have done that, or they won't come up at all sometimes. Just cycle up and down a few times and things usual smarten up. There's been a few valves where the set screw hasn't been snuggled down tight enough, might be something to check. That could cause creeping.

My system rarely, if ever shuts it's self off after full retract.

And lastly, do yourself a favour and replace a pint of hydraulic fluid with a pint of "FORK OIL". Google that fix for creeping/popping jacks.
Big 417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 08:26 PM   #10
bobbecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 417 View Post
Mine have done that, or they won't come up at all sometimes. Just cycle up and down a few times and things usual smarten up. There's been a few valves where the set screw hasn't been snuggled down tight enough, might be something to check. That could cause creeping.

My system rarely, if ever shuts it's self off after full retract.

And lastly, do yourself a favour and replace a pint of hydraulic fluid with a pint of "FORK OIL". Google that fix for creeping/popping jacks.
The Lippert fix for stiction popping is actually one to two quarts of fork oil or the CAT stiction fluid additive. https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0002091.pdf
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 08:29 PM   #11
Big 417

Ah yes, a quart. One was enough to remedy mine.
Old 06-02-2021, 04:47 AM   #12
ChuckS

Air in system or leaking internal leveler leg .. easy test t9 determine if one of the leveler legs is leaking internally..the mid/rear legs on each side are connected in tandem and isolated from left and right side

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001910.pdf

Changing out the fluid is a complete waste of time … the fluid will easily last for a decade if not longer

Each mid/rear side legs have a Hydac valve..check the manual over ride screw in center of Hydac valve and make sure it is fully CCW otherwise fluid will seep past allowing legs to drop

They are held 8n retract position by 2000 psi fluid press7re

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 06:35 PM   #13
Big 417

Little off topic, but related. Where is a good source in western Canada to order seals for the Lippert level up jacks?

Cheers
Old 06-05-2021, 11:28 AM   #14
ChuckS

I’d simply find a local hydraulic shop there and take one in and let them find the seals … should be easy and less expensive then a new Jack that might be no better than the old one

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 12:25 PM   #15
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Air in system or leaking internal leveler leg .. easy test t9 determine if one of the leveler legs is leaking internally..the mid/rear legs on each side are connected in tandem and isolated from left and right side

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001910.pdf

Changing out the fluid is a complete waste of time … the fluid will easily last for a decade if not longer

Each mid/rear side legs have a Hydac valve..check the manual over ride screw in center of Hydac valve and make sure it is fully CCW otherwise fluid will seep past allowing legs to drop

They are held 8n retract position by 2000 psi fluid press7re
I only suggested changing the fluid because I suspected some foreign object or debris is causing an issue. I understand the lifespan of hydraulic fluids.. could even just strain the oil through a screen and reuse.
My home made log splitter has a internal screen in the reservoir tank that get clogged with debris from the tank lid seal.
Old 06-10-2021, 10:52 AM   #16
Third Degree

I thought these things were fully electric with no fluid. Am I wrong? Where would the fluid go?
Third Degree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 11:34 AM   #17
Big 417

The level up systems are hydraulic. Seen more in the bigger, and higher price point units.
Old 06-10-2021, 02:04 PM   #18
gearhead

I couldn't find the CAT additive so I used TORCO motorcycle racing fork oil. Took 2 quarts to quieten mine down.
Amazon
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 12:28 PM   #19
Tonydg

My jack system is snapping and popping and driving the wife crazy, so I will try to add some fork oil to the system and see what happens. I am also going to call the dealer and ask what hydraulic oil they put in, because it would be better to try to match up viscosities or even try to lighten up the viscosity as I usually camp at 8,000 ft or higher. Fork oil comes in many different weights. Any ideas on the best one? Amsoil is good but costs more and has to be ordered where I live.
Tonydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 01:03 PM   #20
Big 417

May as well get 2 pints. I need to add 1 more to mine. I used the amsoil, all the auto parts store had. $30 total isn't worth complaining about, way less then the wife complaining lol