Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2021, 07:27 AM   #41
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzelessknowledge View Post
Honestly didn’t realize it’s only 18”. My cre can 1500 is 19’ long. If I’m looking at the measurements right a 3500 double or crew with long box was 21 or just a little more.

I only back in now. Always have.
For length calculations I consider my dually at 22 feet of length and the hips are 102" , mirrors 105" wide
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:37 AM   #42
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Haha. You’re safe with me. I’m a transplant and not a sport watcher. I’ll watch it if it’s on but have no allegiance to anyone. I would prefer watching baseball too.

As to maintenance. Everyone seems to have a difference of opinion. This is one article I came across.
https://outdoorfact.com/gas-vs-diese...a-fifth-wheel/

It does seem there is agreement that a diesel tows better for various reasons such as torque and fuel economy.

It also seems the consensus is to go 1 ton and not 3/4. Price does seem to be just a little more for the towing and payload abilities.

Not sure how much better fuel economy is with a diesel and when you factor in diesel vs gas prices, perhaps that one would be a wash. The folks with the newer trucks and better transmissions are reporting better fuel mileage with their diesels than I get. I think the power issue is a main concern but a diesel engine is heavier and that lessens payload. Also trucks with fancy packages have less payload.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:53 AM   #43
JRTJH
Site Team

There is a "new thread" in the fifth wheel section addressing this specific concern. The OP of that thread has a Chevy 2500 gas truck with a GVWR of 10850 and a payload of 3453. He is towing a Cougar 25RES, 29' fifth wheel with a GVWR of 10000 a "shipping weight" of 7630 and a pin weight of 1505 (in the advertising).

Take a look at his "real world scale weights" to get a better idea of "3/4 ton gas truck pin weight capacity". The thread is located here: https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...176#post448176

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:55 AM   #44
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well 10' is the depth, the spot is out of code. we had a PT Cruiser Rag to and could store in a 10' X 15' storage space.
As to DRW backing in yes, 10' road into a 10' wide space, might take two passes but very doable.
There are parking garages that have weight limits and at 10,000# we may have an issue with weight.

Here is the OP's post:

"I also can’t do a long box. When I go into the office I have to park in a parking garage."

Then here was your reply:

"The 18” of a long box will not make a difference in a parking garage. I have taken our 3500 crew cab LB DRW into parking garages, learn to back into the space."

The OP HAS to have the truck to go to work and he HAS to park in a parking garage. He said "I also can't do a long box". The truck fitting, and fitting comfortably, is mandatory; not something he is "hoping" for. Like Marshall I've been in a TON of parking garages and I've seen very few, if any, duallys in them - they are a very large truck trying to navigate in what can be a VERY confined space. Our office building in Irving prohibited them as well as others I've been in - a parking garage is private property and the rules will be what they are.

IMO in that scenario any advice should have that in mind and err on the side of being conservative vs what I consider a dismissive attitude telling him to "learn to back into the space" - and he already backs in so should know what he can/can't do. JMO/YMMV I'm sure.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 09:10 AM   #45
linux3

We are looking at a 1/2 ton towable 5th wheel (haha/ half ton) and a 2500HD.
New trucks just are not available and the 5'er isn't either so plans are on hold but...

One of the advantages of a diesel is you can use truck lanes at Flying J and Loves and such.
Often had to wait for a lane I could get into and out of at the gas pumps.
On the other hand my truck is my daily driver.
On the other / other hand it runs on 93 octane.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 09:46 AM   #46
flybouy
Site Team

I'm a Pro vs Con type. After researching I'll list the two on a ledger an assign a "value" to each. Then I'll tabulate the two columns and make a decision but I don't always go with the the side that has the highest number but it does make it easier for me to see what I'm giving up or fetting into.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:14 AM   #47
Ken / Claudia

The OP is so far out from buying a TV, between now and than. Hook up with someone who has a large RV and Pickup, drive them for a short trip. Make up your own mind about the gasser vs diesel. Test driving a vehicle without the heavy trailer behind it is not a way to determine which you would want.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:28 AM   #48
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
The OP is so far out from buying a TV, between now and than. Hook up with someone who has a large RV and Pickup, drive them for a short trip. Make up your own mind about the gasser vs diesel. Test driving a vehicle without the heavy trailer behind it is not a way to determine which you would want.
The OP posted a similar post on 5/7/2020. Some folks just don't make snap decisions I suppose.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:42 AM   #49
Uzelessknowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Here is the OP's post:

"I also can’t do a long box. When I go into the office I have to park in a parking garage."

"The 18” of a long box will not make a difference in a parking garage. I have taken our 3500 crew cab LB DRW into parking garages, learn to back into the space."

The OP HAS to have the truck to go to work and he HAS to park in a parking garage. He said "I also can't do a long box". The truck fitting, and fitting comfortably, is mandatory; not something he is "hoping" for. Like Marshall I've been in a TON of parking garages and I've seen very few, if any, duallys in them - they are a very large truck trying to navigate in what can be a VERY confined space. Our office building in Irving prohibited them as well as others I've been in - a parking garage is private property and the rules will be what they are.

IMO in that scenario any advice should have that in mind and err on the side of being conservative vs what I consider a dismissive attitude telling him to "learn to back into the space" - and he already backs in so should know what he can/can't do. JMO/YMMV I'm sure.
Thank you.
Uzelessknowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:46 AM   #50
Uzelessknowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
The OP posted a similar post on 5/7/2020. Some folks just don't make snap decisions I suppose.
Yes, this has been a long decision for my wife and I. We are the full time caretakers of my parents. They live with us. We are trying to plan smart so that we can make a decision once they are not under our roof any more. At some point they’ll have to go into a facility but we’re keeping them at home as long as we can.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:48 AM   #51
Uzelessknowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Some folks just don't make snap decisions I suppose.
You have given some good advice in the past.
Thoughts on 2wd vs 4wd for a fifth wheel?

I think we’re landing on a 1ton. Which I’ll purchase spring to fall of next year.
Old 05-08-2021, 11:07 AM   #52
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
You have given some good advice in the past.
Thoughts on 2wd vs 4wd for a fifth wheel?

I think we’re landing on a 1ton. Which I’ll purchase spring to fall of next year.
In these times of truck shortages good luck finding a 2wd. A 2wd would give you more payload but there are time's when I have been very happy that I had 4 wd.
Old 05-08-2021, 11:45 AM   #53
jfk69

My personal opinion is in my neck of the country I would never spend good money on a 2wd pickup. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. I see them as worthless. In other areas of the country they might be fine. Doubt it, but maybe lol.
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 11:57 AM   #54
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfk69 View Post
My personal opinion is in my neck of the country I would never spend good money on a 2wd pickup. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. I see them as worthless. In other areas of the country they might be fine. Doubt it, but maybe lol.
In Texas the only thing a 4X4 is good for is Saturday night at the Dairy Queen and getting further into places you shouldn't have gone in the first place. 😜
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 12:22 PM   #55
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
In Texas the only thing a 4X4 is good for is Saturday night at the Dairy Queen and getting further into places you shouldn't have gone in the first place. 😜

I had my 4x4 drive engaged (low range) during the blizzard of 2021. I was the only one at my end of the road that could get up the hill. Never used it previous or since. FOUR DAYS OF SNOW! I am beginning to doubt global warming anyway.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 02:21 PM   #56
sourdough
Site Team

2wd vs 4wd is similar to the gas vs diesel discussion just not as "testy". Like the gas vs diesel it really boils down to you really need it or would that be possible?

If you live and stay in one locality where the likelihood of needing it is remote you may not want to get it. I wouldn't be without it. We travel all over and when we get where we are going DW and I both like to see "what's over the hill". That can, and has, gotten me into some interesting situations; all memorable to this day. We don't do things that could get us into trouble any longer BUT...

Depending on where you go 4x4 could easily come in handy. Go to a beach? River? Or even....trying to get your trailer out of a situation. I've used mine quite a few times to help others. Just this summer a fellow buried his truck up trying to get his trailer out with his 2 wheel drive; pulled them both out. I've seen 2 wheel drives sit and spin in wet grass with a trailer on them. It all depends on what your plans are and how YOU intend to camp/travel

Sounds like you will definitely be ready to get out and about when you get to purchase the new rig. Take your time; ask questions and get it right so you'll be able to get out and have fun right off the bat.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 02:47 PM   #57
Badbart56

I got my drivers license in 1972 and being from a rural farming community in north Florida the value of a four wheel drive became apparent rather quickly. I have been stuck on wet grass with a two wheel drive. I had a friend that bought an old WWII Willys Jeep and I and three of my buddies piled onto it and rode it up a wet hill that we couldn't walk up, the little 4 cylinder just idled up it in granny low. I've rode across the Ochlockonee River in one when I was a teenager. I have owned one since 1977 and I can tell you that it's much better to have one than to need one. I had one when I was in the Navy and stationed in northern California. A few of my buddies had 4x4's and when we had a little extra money we would go to the state off-road parks. We read about a place called Rattlesnake Canyon in a four wheel drive magazine while we were out there and decided to go one weekend. Got there about 7:30 in the morning and I started down the hill. It was a two mile "road" if you want to call it that. One mile down and one mile up. The other trucks were lined up behind me and after they watched me slide a quarter mile down the hill they chickened out and became observers! Long story short, it took me until 2:00 the next morning to make it out of there! I know there's the weight factor that comes off the payload but I choose the diesel option too so it's just a given. While the gas trucks can carry more, they lack the torque to get it done efficiently in my opinion and since I only have duallys there's no fear of being overloaded. I see a lot of folks new to RV's buying what they think will do the job only to get on a forum like this and learn the hard way that they wasted money through ignorance. It's a shame you can't hold the truck salesmen accountable, they will tell you what you want to hear just to make a sale and so will the RV dealers. Anyway, good luck with your decision. Remember, you're the one who has to drive it so make sure #1 that it's within the limits of what you need it to do, #2 capable of hauling the bigger RV that you're gonna get next year! And #3, one that YOU are happy with! Get out there and test drive ALL of them. Don't take somebody else's word that you won't like a Ford, or a one ton, or a dually, or whatever. Everybody's different. Take your time, make yourself happy. Again, good luck!

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:10 AM   #58
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Here is the OP's post:

Just suggesting thinking a bit out of the box. We have all seen on this and other forums posters that don't want a 3500 over a 2500 because of it's size. They are the same size, just one has more capacity.
I believe that Long Beds give a better ride both loaded and unloaded, just a thought for a daily driver, also JMO/YMMV.

I had a choice when I was still working, either an open lot or a parking garage, I used the open lot for no particular reason. Then one day it was snowing when I drove to work, so I tried the garage to save scrapping snow at the end of the day, never went back to the lot!! I will confess that this garage had angled parking, but still tight turns.

I know the OP is looking at going from a 1500 to a 2500/3500 so there is a slight size increase, but a tape measure will tell him the real difference. I also know that the OP needs to get what work for him, not what I or anyone else suggest, but the options need to be suggested.
When we went from a 2001 Ram Quad Cab to a 2016 Ram Crew Cab this was the difference in length.

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:14 AM   #59
rhagfo

Quote:
In Texas the only thing a 4X4 is good for is Saturday night at the Dairy Queen and getting further into places you shouldn't have gone in the first place. ��
Yea, I was fine with a 4X2 until my DD mentioned having a horse trailer attached pointed even slightly down hill on a gravel driveway, and needing to back up.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:35 AM   #60
LewisB

Quote:
...Thoughts on 2wd vs 4wd for a fifth wheel?...I think we’re landing on a 1ton. Which I’ll purchase spring to fall of next year.
Quote:
In Texas the only thing a 4X4 is good for is Saturday night at the Dairy Queen and getting further into places you shouldn't have gone in the first place. ��
We don't use 4x4 often with our F350 DRW, but when we do, it can often be because we NEED it for reasons beyond our control.
  • On more than one occasion, I've been towing and caught on a high pass in Colorado and it started to snow. You can't just park on the road and abandon your rig. So utilizing 4x4 to get through those storms and down to a safe place to pull over and wait out the storm was a blessing.
  • It is not uncommon for me to use low range while parking - it is so much easier on the engine and transmission when you want to go slow and have a tight turn, a big hump, etc.
  • You get your money back on resale - a 2x4 may significantly limit the "saleability" of your rig in the future.
  • Sometimes, you might want to use your truck for some off-road travel while NOT pulling your big trailer. The 4x4 gives you a lot more opportunity to "explore" away from campgrounds.
So for us, we find the 4x4 to be well worth the initial investment. Yes, it does reduce the payload a bit, but with the 1 ton you can "afford" the loss. JMHO
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, silverado