Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2021, 10:21 AM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
My compressor has an "auto climate control" turn it on when it's cold, it pumps winter air. Turn it on when it's hot, it automatically switches to pumping summer air... If you bought a HF compressor, I don't think they have that option yet.... That's the "fallacy" of the HF "compared to charts"... For their compressors, they compare them to Husky but Husky has the "auto climate switch"...

It's like Ford advertising "best in class" and then defining the class as "4 door trucks with 3 wheels with a GVWR between 7600 and 7625 pounds"....
Darn! Not HF but when I bought mine at Costco many years ago they didn't have that option. Who knew! Now I feel so outdated.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 12:34 PM   #22
pablopwnage

Thanks for all the input, everyone. I picked up a good torque wrench online and will give the lugs a check before our next trip. Even if it’s just for peace of mind 😁
pablopwnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 04:28 PM   #23
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablopwnage View Post
Thanks for all the input, everyone. I picked up a good torque wrench online and will give the lugs a check before our next trip. Even if it’s just for peace of mind 😁
Be sure to follow the procedure in John's post #11!
Don't just give each lug a click or 2.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 05:57 PM   #24
gearhead

Y'all take a close look at your lug nuts themselves. I was shown my lug nuts by my tire shop. They were duplex, or 2 piece nuts. Basically a lug nut with some shiny sheet metal pressed over it. The sheet metal will slip and separate from the nut.
Ask me how I know...1974 Oldsmobile Cutlass.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 06:42 PM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Y'all take a close look at your lug nuts themselves. I was shown my lug nuts by my tire shop. They were duplex, or 2 piece nuts. Basically a lug nut with some shiny sheet metal pressed over it. The sheet metal will slip and separate from the nut.
Ask me how I know...1974 Oldsmobile Cutlass.
I've had some "truly expensive cars" like a 71 Vega and a 72 Pinto that both had the "two piece lug nuts. I thought they were "outdated years ago" and then in 2005 I bought a Ranger supercab with aluminum wheels... First time I banged into a lug nut with a wheel brush, the cap came off the lug nut...

My 2011 Springdale fifth wheel had "steel open face lug nuts" and black plastic caps that slipped over them to "dress up the wheel"... You had to use a special tool (or very strong "booger pickers") to pull the plastic caps off the lug nuts or you'd tear them up trying to fit a lug wrench over the lug.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LUG NUT REMOVAL TOOL.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	33451  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:24 PM   #26
gearhead

^ Who dreams up this cheap junk? Yeah I know, an accountant.
71 Vega....I had one somewhere along in there. Y'all have mercy on my soul...I sold a 1969 Roadrunner and bought a Vega GT. I think it was a gas price shock or something. It was a pretty car, sorta beer bottle brown with light beige interior and of course a white racing stripe down the center. So slow it couldn't get out of its own way. So I put headers, and recurved the distributor, and traction bars. Sold it to the boy across the street.
But yeah I have nightmares of being stuck on the side of the road with a flat tire and an impact socket full of sheet metal.
I'm replacing my duplex lug nuts with solids when we do the disc brakes. Performance Trailer Braking. Amazon has them as well. My 9/16" studs have 7/8" duplex nuts. Solid nuts are 3/4".
Old 05-09-2021, 05:21 AM   #27
flybouy
Site Team

Cool

I remember the "first gas crisis". I was still driving my '65 Ford Falcon with the tremendous 170 cid IL six. Sold that and boufgt a '72 VWKarman Ghia Formula VEEE. Loved that car and wish I would have kept it. Had that and a '72 Ford Grand Torino at the same time. The Torino was for towing the 22' Sleek Craft Executive jet boat. That was a sweet looking rig going down the road as I replaced the 4 wheels on the trailer to match the Torino. All of those cars would smoke a Vega or Pinto, the Torino with the boat it tow.

Back to sorta the subject ..the boat trailer had those "chrome nightmare" lug nuts. When I changed the rims they went in the trash can. I didn't think they were even worthy of keeping them as spares. About 20 yrs. ago bought a used utility trailer and it had the black plastic caps on the lugnuts. Removed most of them with my large channel locks and I think I had to cut one off. Amazing what they sell, people will buy.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:03 AM   #28
gearhead

On a couple of my lug nuts I could see where the sheet metal was separating from the actual nut on the conical end.
I would advise anyone who suspects they have duplex lug nuts to give them a very close look.
That Torino have a 351? I imagine that boat was quite a load.
Old 05-09-2021, 07:48 AM   #29
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
On a couple of my lug nuts I could see where the sheet metal was separating from the actual nut on the conical end.
I would advise anyone who suspects they have duplex lug nuts to give them a very close look.
That Torino have a 351? I imagine that boat was quite a load.
Yup 351. I put a B&M shift kit in the tranny for towing. A few "upgrades" to the engine and it was pretty strong. The boat was a load but with a low CG and most of the weight directly over the axles the tongue weight wasn't too bad. When those hydraulic surge brakes kicked in I new there was substantial weight behind it. The trailer was a low, non roller boat trailer (flat pads to hold the hull) and NO WINCH! On the front it had a long peice of 2" flat bar hinged with a slot to fit over the bow eye. That worked fine if the ramp had enough water to float the boat to the front.

A few times I got caught with a low tide and had to "power onto" the trailer. That was fun, big block screaming as it looked like I was going to shoot over the trailer and thru the rear window. Then I'd hear whomever was trying to latch the boat say "1/2 too far" or 1/2" further". Then back off and run at ir again. It would draw a crowd. Between the issues with getting the boat back on the trailer and the obvious stress on the car it didn't take me long to trade off the "nice looking going down the road" for the convenience of having the boat set in the water with a fork lift at a high and dry marina.

Oh but to be young and dumb again instead old and dumb.
Old 05-17-2021, 12:30 PM   #30
Dan Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
My compressor has an "auto climate control" turn it on when it's cold, it pumps winter air. Turn it on when it's hot, it automatically switches to pumping summer air... If you bought a HF compressor, I don't think they have that option yet.... That's the "fallacy" of the HF "compared to charts"... For their compressors, they compare them to Husky but Husky has the "auto climate switch"...

It's like Ford advertising "best in class" and then defining the class as "4 door trucks with 3 wheels with a GVWR between 7600 and 7625 pounds"....
Enlighten me about "Auto Climate Control" on an air compressor please. Never heard of this before and had to look to see if this was posted on April 1st, but it wasn't...

Thanks!
'09 Harley CVO Road Glide
'76 Harley FLH Shovelhead
Dan Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 05:46 PM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lockwood View Post
Enlighten me about "Auto Climate Control" on an air compressor please. Never heard of this before and had to look to see if this was posted on April 1st, but it wasn't...

Thanks!
My compressor, a Husky "deluxe" version (bought at Home Depot and possibly a "limited edition model). It has an automatic winter/summer air selector and it switches completely without user input. There is no way (that I've found anyway) to manually switch the selector). When changing out winter air in our tires, the compressor automatically switches to summer air and then in the fall, automatically switches back to winter air when we change the summer air while winterizing our vehicles and the trailer..... No, it wasn't posted on April 1. Might could have been, but you've got to take a look at posts 17, 18, 20 and 21 to get a better grasp on just how the "Auto Climate Control" functions...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-25-2021, 06:04 AM   #32
Moto Rich

This is the greatest thing ever! hahahahaha!

my compressor is at least 20 years old, and also has the auto summer/winter air selector. Has given me no issues this whole time.
7.3L gas, 10 speed auto.
Moto Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 11:48 AM   #33
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto Rich View Post
This is the greatest thing ever! hahahahaha!

my compressor is at least 20 years old, and also has the auto summer/winter air selector. Has given me no issues this whole time.
Yep, All the air compressors I've seen will automatically switch from summer to winter air and back (in the spring)... I'd guess it's a "darn stubborn one" that won't switch automatically.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-25-2021, 02:14 PM   #34
notanlines

Here I thought (may be a first this month) that y'all were pulling our leg! I started up my electric from Lowe's this AM and sure enough, it had switched to summer air here in Florida! Go figure....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 04:15 PM   #35
flybouy
Site Team

The compressor in the bed of my truck for the air horns and air bags has that feature.
Old 05-25-2021, 05:43 PM   #36
gearhead

I upgraded my Harbor Freight compressor to another HF compressor. It has a switch for summer and winter. The tech rep at HF said it's because of summer air being more humid and the mol ratio requires the internal valve loaders to relax the valve plates about 0.062" to compensate for the heavier air.
Who wooda thunk...
Old 05-26-2021, 03:31 PM   #37
kneeslider

after every trip.
kneeslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 04:56 PM   #38
gearhead

"Snuffy" to "Buffalo Butt".....Merle I checked the torque specs on that coupling spacer you're working on.....275 ft lbs.
I ain't got one that goes that high so I'll just click it twice.
Old 06-20-2021, 12:59 PM   #39
VitoJCongineJr

The smart RV'er will check every time prior to drive.
VitoJCongineJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 05:45 PM   #40
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitoJCongineJr View Post
The smart RV'er will check every time prior to drive.
Guess I'm not very smart?
I torqued them when wheels had been removed & retorqued in a couple hundred miles, actually the next overnight stop, then not again til the wheels were removed the next time. Been doing this for 40+ years on every trailer & rv I've owned without an issue.
Couple of questions;
Why the need to do the rv every time it moves?
Do you also retorque the truck wheels every time it moves? If not WHY NOT? You do the rv every time it moves & it goes when/where the truck goes!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote