Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2021, 09:46 AM   #1
Maineiacs

Giggy box

Keystone has some interesting videos posted about their new "giggy box". A master electrical disconnect. Anyone have one?
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

2021 F-350 4x4 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab
Maineiacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:53 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

https://www.keystonerv.com/innovations/giggy-box

Says AFTER 2021, and NOT on 5ers...looks nice and organized though.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 10:36 AM   #3
travelin texans

If it doesn't completely disconnect all the 12 volt battery drain when turned off it's no better than any of their other disconnects just neater wiring & a silly name.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 02:07 PM   #4
Maineiacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If it doesn't completely disconnect all the 12 volt battery drain when turned off it's no better than any of their other disconnects just neater wiring & a silly name.

The marketing literature (which may or may not be 100% accurate) claims it will be a true disconnect including all parasitic loads. The concept is a good one because it will incorporate in one dry place all of the various and sundry connections and inline fuses. Might actually come to pass - might not.
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

2021 F-350 4x4 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab
Maineiacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 02:11 PM   #5
notanlines

I'm guessing a group of 12 year-olds were chosen to name this item?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 02:18 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

It will come to pass..

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 03-14-2021, 07:04 AM   #7
Javi

Quote:
Says it will disconnect all parasitic drain except the breakaway switch which would be illegal for them to do. And it shouldn't be a draw unless activated.
Old 03-14-2021, 07:21 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Isn't the LP detector also federally mandated to be always on?

Old 03-14-2021, 07:26 AM   #9
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Isn't the LP detector also federally mandated to be always on?
As far as I know the only applicable requirement for a battery on a trailer is the breakaway switch while towing. And legally it could be specifically dedicated to the breakaway switch.
Old 03-14-2021, 08:29 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree with Javi. The only "DOT/NHTSA" requirement is for a breakaway switch to be active on trailers over a specific weight when they are being towed on public roads.

The "off the road, parked in a campground RV" is not a "federal highway mandated requirement", so DOT/NHTSA would not have any regulatory control over anything that's "not on the highway"

Where the "mandate" (probably more an agreement between RV manufacturers than a "mandate") would come from RVIA. All of the manufacturers "get together and decide what they want to require on every trailer that has an RVIA compliance sticker on it. Most financial institutions won't finance an RV that does not meet RVIA (or CAC) requirements, so there is some "meat to requiring the sticker"...

RVIA has a requirement that "all inhabited RV's must have an operational LPG. smoke and CO detector installed. There are also some requirements on placement of the devices to meet "self imposed RVIA requirements"....

I believe the "BCO switch wiring" to always power the safety detectors is an RVIA requirement, not a "federal regulatory requirement"...

As for the other parasitic drains (radio presets/memory, remote control/in-command standby circuitry, etc) that's up to the manufacturer. But if you think about it, if you turn the remote receiver or the in-command system "completely off" then you can't "access it via a smart device" from the house... So, it makes sense that the manufacturer (Keystone, Forest River, etc) would wire that type equipment to be "always on".....

This new Giggy Box looks like Keystone's attempt to recognize that consumers want a way to completely remove power from their trailer during storage. This looks like their way of solving two or three issues with "one fix".... I'd guess we'll see a "master cutoff switch" from another manufacturer and probably a "dual switch" like on some motorhomes from other manufacturers.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 05:49 AM   #11
Stacyismetoo

I have a Giggy Box

I have a Giggy box on my new Keystone Carbon toy hauler. It is nice and organized, however, the battery disconnect does not actually work. I opened the cover and verified that I do in fact have the optional disconnect but when I turn the power switch to the off position, all the 12V system is still active. I am NOT plugged into shore power. I’ve reached out to keystone for guidance
Stacyismetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 06:40 AM   #12
machz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacyismetoo View Post
I have a Giggy box on my new Keystone Carbon toy hauler. It is nice and organized, however, the battery disconnect does not actually work. I opened the cover and verified that I do in fact have the optional disconnect but when I turn the power switch to the off position, all the 12V system is still active. I am NOT plugged into shore power. I’ve reached out to keystone for guidance

I also have it on my 22MLS and it kills everything in my RV when I switch it to off. I haven't hooked it to a meter yet but I know none of my systems work with it off and no shore power.
machz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 07:02 AM   #13
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by machz View Post
I also have it on my 22MLS and it kills everything in my RV when I switch it to off. I haven't hooked it to a meter yet but I know none of my systems work with it off and no shore power.
I wouldn't store the rv too long with the factory switch in "disconnect", you'll likely come back to dead batteries. The original DOES NOT totally disconnect all parasitic drains, the LP/CO detector, in some cases electric slide motors & clock memories are all connected directly to the batteries, disconnecting battery cables is a sure way to completely disconnect or wire a disconnect on the negative cable going directly to ground.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 07:11 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I wouldn't store the rv too long with the factory switch in "disconnect", you'll likely come back to dead batteries. The original DOES NOT totally disconnect all parasitic drains, the LP/CO detector, in some cases electric slide motors & clock memories are all connected directly to the batteries, disconnecting battery cables is a sure way to completely disconnect or wire a disconnect on the negative cable going directly to ground.
That is correct, or at least it has been in past model Keystone trailers....

If you think about it for a moment, IF the trailer is "completely disconnected, with no power" then you couldn't "wake up the In-Command system with your smart phone from the house". The "In-Command system," like the older "remote control system" must be "in the standby mode (electrically connected) if it has the capability to "wake up and make things happen"....

So, AFAIK, any trailer with a "sleep function" or a "remote control" or a "In-Command system" is, at least partially energized unless the battery is completely disconnected from the trailer.

I have not yet seen a Keystone trailer with a "true battery cutoff switch" that was wired that way by the factory.

Disclaimer: There may be some trailers that have a "true disconnect" but I have not seen any wired that way from the factory.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 11:18 AM   #15
LHaven

I would never expect my inCommand system to work despite the battery disconnect switch, and I would be surprised at people who did. I understand the propane/CO detector has to stay active for "saaaaaafety" (legal) reasons, but I don't like it. If I'm camping in it, I won't have the disconnect switch disconnected, and if I'm not, the propane/CO detector is irrelevant.
Old 07-09-2021, 12:42 PM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I would never expect my inCommand system to work despite the battery disconnect switch, and I would be surprised at people who did. I understand the propane/CO detector has to stay active for "saaaaaafety" (legal) reasons, but I don't like it. If I'm camping in it, I won't have the disconnect switch disconnected, and if I'm not, the propane/CO detector is irrelevant.
I'm guessing the legal team would want to cover all bases. If you are connected to shore power with bat switch off then the converter would power the 12 vdc devices. Let's say there's an electrical fire or lightning strike and the converter fails , you could be asleep without that "saaaaafty" device.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 01:20 PM   #17
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
If you are connected to shore power with bat switch off
Well, sure, but why would I ever camp like that? There's about as much chance of that as there is of the propane detector itself just breaking.
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 01:38 PM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Well, sure, but why would I ever camp like that? There's about as much chance of that as there is of the propane detector itself just breaking.
I'm guessing they (Keystone legal team) didn’t consult you because it's not all about you and you're camping habits. I'm guessing you wouldn't use a blow dryer while taking a shower yet your blow dryer will have that warning label on it.

Truth is no one here knows why the BCO is wired that way but I doubt that it was done "just to annoy someone". Maybe a homeless addict broke into a camper and started a fire and Keystone was sued? We don’t know but I do know litigation sows the seeds for much of these things.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 02:34 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Here's a little video explaining the Keystone giggy box. At about the 1:30 mark he says it disconnects everything in the trailer except the breakaway switch... So Stacyismetoo probably has a problem that the dealer needs to look at. Does sound better than the old hodge podge of wires.

sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 06:52 AM   #20
machz

I'm new at this so I'm not saying you are wrong but how would shutting the box off drain the batteries ? I know when it's off nothing in the RV works, it appears to kill everything so nothing has power.
machz is offline   Reply With Quote