Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2021, 02:55 PM   #1
dronning

5th wheel & truck hitch puck system

I haven't tried this yet but I am very interested if anyone else has.

A buddy of mine sold his camper and bought a new rig with an RV and TV, a 2020 GMC with a hitch with the puck system. His old 5er had a GooseBox on it so he could remove the ball and load his toys in it to head off to the desert, unfortunately it went as part of the deal.

So here is what he said he is going to do. He plans on leaving the 5th wheel hitch hooked to the 5er and release the pucks and use the RV to raise the hitch off the bed then just drive his truck away. It sounds great - if it works.

Does anyone see any issues with this (if it clears of course).
- Dave
dronning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 03:10 PM   #2
Javi

I'd never do it, but mechanically see no reason it wouldn't work. Be kind of awkward with that big of a chunk of steel hanging off the pin box.
Old 02-14-2021, 03:41 PM   #3
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronning View Post
I haven't tried this yet but I am very interested if anyone else has.

A buddy of mine sold his camper and bought a new rig with an RV and TV, a 2020 GMC with a hitch with the puck system. His old 5er had a GooseBox on it so he could remove the ball and load his toys in it to head off to the desert, unfortunately it went as part of the deal.

So here is what he said he is going to do. He plans on leaving the 5th wheel hitch hooked to the 5er and release the pucks and use the RV to raise the hitch off the bed then just drive his truck away. It sounds great - if it works.

Does anyone see any issues with this (if it clears of course). Dave
I wouldn’t attempt it... it could easily get twisted in the pucks halfway in or out and then you have a mess.. can’t lower fifth wheel and can’t remove hitch. Just drag it to edge of bed and get some help moving it when storing
Old 02-14-2021, 03:43 PM   #4
jasin1

The fifth wheel doesn’t raise completely straight.. it raises at an angle slightly to the back... maybe with the above rails hitch it would work better
Old 02-14-2021, 04:26 PM   #5
dronning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
The fifth wheel doesn’t raise completely straight.. it raises at an angle slightly to the back... maybe with the above rails hitch it would work better
I also thought you would have to be perfectly centered for it to work. He said he'd let me know if it works when he gets his rig out of storage.
- Dave
Old 02-14-2021, 04:36 PM   #6
jasin1

Quote:
I also thought you would have to be perfectly centered for it to work. He said he'd let me know if it works when he gets his rig out of storage.
- Dave
I mean theoretically it could work but the one time in 10 that it doesn’t could be a nightmare
Old 02-14-2021, 06:19 PM   #7
travelin texans

I've seen several with the hitch hanging from the pin & my thought has always been "what if kids come playing around & one pulls the release?", or they come running around the corner & catch it face 1st. Someone is going to get hurt & not worth the chance to me, there's usually someone around willing to aid with a bit of muscle.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 06:19 AM   #8
dronning

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I've seen several with the hitch hanging from the pin & my thought has always been "what if kids come playing around & one pulls the release?", or they come running around the corner & catch it face 1st. Someone is going to get hurt & not worth the chance to me, there's usually someone around willing to aid with a bit of muscle.
All avoidable.
I'd certainly lock the hitch release, more because I wouldn't want the hitch to "walk away" and I've seen people run into a TT hitch or bang their head on the pin before too, that's why years ago we put our outside collapsible garbage can by the TT hitch or 5er pin.
- Dave
Old 02-15-2021, 07:08 AM   #9
ewbldavis

Someone did this at our campground. The hitch was hanging from the king pin for weeks. My wife and I both thought it wasn't very safe, and didnt' look like it was good for the hitch.

I think he should just not be lazy about it and take hitch out properly.

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 07:16 AM   #10
xrated

Many of the hitches are actually a 2 piece design, I know mine is. I have the B&W Companion 25K hitch and the base is approx. 80 lbs and the head is approx. 80 lbs. When I need to remove it from the truck bed, which isn't very often for me, I simply separate the two pieces and lift them out one at a time.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 08:04 AM   #11
dronning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbldavis View Post
I think he should just not be lazy about it and take hitch out properly.
OK I have to respond here. being someone that has gone through several lower back surgeries and would struggle to remove a hitch* - don't assume someone is lazy, no need to insult someone because you don't approve.

As far as it must be bad for the hitch, I seriously doubt it. If the hitch couldn't hang from the pin without damage I sure wouldn't trust it to haul my rig.
- Dave

* this is the reason I bought a B&W - because it's 2 pieces and I can handle it.
Old 02-15-2021, 08:11 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Like Danny posted, I've also seen a lot of fifth wheel hitches hanging from the pin on trailers in campgrounds, storage lots and in driveways. Thinking back at all of those, I can't remember even one that was a "puck system". All that I've seen were "rail/pin attachment" hitches that sit on in-bed rails.

Pulling a hitch mounted on rails is fairly easy. No matter the angle, the hitch base comes "right out of the rail slots".... That's not the case, at least with my Ford "puck system". It will bind, even when "hand positioned" and I need to jiggle it to get the hitch to slide into the puck holes. I won't say, "It can't work" but based on putting my "Ford puck hitch base" in my truck and in the previous 2013 Ford "puck truck", for the past 8 years, I can't remember even one time that the hitch came "straight out of the pucks without binding" and I also can't remember, even one time, that it "slipped into the holes without having to lift a corner or a side to get it aligned correctly so all 4 pins slipped into the puck holes.

I don't think his "work-around" is going to be as easy as he imagines it' going to be. It's worth trying, but I'd strongly suggest an alternative plan for when he pushes the landing gear UP button and the hitch binds in the holes and the truck bed starts lifting with the hitch "stuck in the middle".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 08:52 AM   #13
ewbldavis

Quote:
OK I have to respond here. being someone that has gone through several lower back surgeries and would struggle to remove a hitch* - don't assume someone is lazy, no need to insult someone because you don't approve.

As far as it must be bad for the hitch, I seriously doubt it. If the hitch couldn't hang from the pin without damage I sure wouldn't trust it to haul my rig.
- Dave

* this is the reason I bought a B&W - because it's 2 pieces and I can handle it.
I don't mean to insult him and understand back issues - I'm sorry you have to deal with that...back pain is most severe pain I can think of besides stones. You sort of validate my point - most of the heavy hitches break down, so you should do it right and take each piece out as designed, versus just letting it hang there. It seems unsafe and can't be good for the jaws.

If you have back issues, I recommend the Andersen. Mine comes out in one piece and weighs like 40# - less than just your hitch head section. It is a big reason I chose Andersen over a slider.

Eddy

2020 Cougar 32BHS
Old 02-15-2021, 09:20 AM   #14
dronning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbldavis View Post
I don't mean to insult him and understand back issues - I'm sorry you have to deal with that...back pain is most severe pain I can think of besides stones. You sort of validate my point - most of the heavy hitches break down, so you should do it right and take each piece out as designed, versus just letting it hang there. It seems unsafe and can't be good for the jaws.

If you have back issues, I recommend the Andersen. Mine comes out in one piece and weighs like 40# - less than just your hitch head section. It is a big reason I chose Andersen over a slider.
Sorry, just a little sensitive when we don't know someone's story.

I'm not planning on removing my hitch while camping. I usually remove it when we get home and store it on a rack I made.

My buddy's plan is if this method doesn't work he will be getting a new Goose Box to replace the one he let go with the RV he sold.

I personally don't see an issue with letting the hitch hang - if it can easily be removed. I'm tempted to try it on my own rig just to see if it works. I'd do it today but it was -26 when I got up and I have no plans to leave the house!! LOL
- Dave
Old 02-15-2021, 02:45 PM   #15
ewbldavis

Goosebox is a sound plan. I've considered getting one so I don't have to deal with hitch at all.

I love how simple Andersen is in terms of hooking up (lowering on ball vs. having to be just right with typical hitch). The Goosebox takes it to next level with nothing but a ball in the bed of truck.

Stay warm man! Starting to snow here. I don't know how you Minnesota folks do it brrrrrr!

Eddy

2020 Cougar 32BHS
Old 02-15-2021, 03:13 PM   #16
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Like Danny posted, I've also seen a lot of fifth wheel hitches hanging from the pin on trailers in campgrounds, storage lots and in driveways. Thinking back at all of those, I can't remember even one that was a "puck system". All that I've seen were "rail/pin attachment" hitches that sit on in-bed rails.

Pulling a hitch mounted on rails is fairly easy. No matter the angle, the hitch base comes "right out of the rail slots".... That's not the case, at least with my Ford "puck system". It will bind, even when "hand positioned" and I need to jiggle it to get the hitch to slide into the puck holes. I won't say, "It can't work" but based on putting my "Ford puck hitch base" in my truck and in the previous 2013 Ford "puck truck", for the past 8 years, I can't remember even one time that the hitch came "straight out of the pucks without binding" and I also can't remember, even one time, that it "slipped into the holes without having to lift a corner or a side to get it aligned correctly so all 4 pins slipped into the puck holes.

I don't think his "work-around" is going to be as easy as he imagines it' going to be. It's worth trying, but I'd strongly suggest an alternative plan for when he pushes the landing gear UP button and the hitch binds in the holes and the truck bed starts lifting with the hitch "stuck in the middle".....
Just as a note: I had the same problem for 6 years and did everything I could to avoid removing the hitch from the pucks. I knew that I was in for at least a fight and putting it back in was going to require wrenches and an hour or more to get it realigned.

No more... the B&W base dropped right it and I've pulled it out 4 times since I installed it with no effort at all...

The Reese/Ford hitch has too many different moving parts and slips out of alignment easily... doesn't hurt how it tows, just how it fits the pucks...

I got tired of the clunking and occasional fight to hitch and unhitch on unlevel ground and bought the B&W... best money I've spent this year.
Old 02-15-2021, 05:30 PM   #17
Stircrazy

I have seen it done quite a bit, comes out easy , but going back in you just have to set it on the bed and realease it and fiddle around to get it off the 5th. then manualy lift it around to remount it. I just doing like the idea of leaving a 1000 buck hitch out where anyone can steel it or if something broke it could fall and possibly hurt some one.

Steve
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:49 AM   #18
Camster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Just as a note: I had the same problem for 6 years and did everything I could to avoid removing the hitch from the pucks. I knew that I was in for at least a fight and putting it back in was going to require wrenches and an hour or more to get it realigned.

No more... the B&W base dropped right it and I've pulled it out 4 times since I installed it with no effort at all...

The Reese/Ford hitch has too many different moving parts and slips out of alignment easily... doesn't hurt how it tows, just how it fits the pucks...

I got tired of the clunking and occasional fight to hitch and unhitch on unlevel ground and bought the B&W... best money I've spent this year.

I've got a B&W hitch as well. Works great and can be separated into two pieces for removal. From time to time I have a little trouble with one of the pucks wanting catch in the bed and the only way I can get it out is to disassemble the puck pin and push it through the bed. I don't think I'd ever try to leave it attached to the 5er. One time with a puck not releasing from the bed and it would be a nightmare.
Camster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:08 AM   #19
Camp CA

Quote:
..............He plans on leaving the 5th wheel hitch hooked to the 5er and release the pucks and use the RV to raise the hitch off the bed then just drive his truck away. It sounds great - if it works. Does anyone see any issues with this (if it clears of course).......
That is a lot of weight to hang off the king pin box. I would not do that. Instead adapting the kin pin box with a gooseneck coupler and install a gooseneck hitch in the truck bed.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:23 AM   #20
dronning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
That is a lot of weight to hang off the king pin box. I would not do that. Instead adapting the kin pin box with a gooseneck coupler and install a gooseneck hitch in the truck bed.
If that is too much weight to hang from the pin then I'm not hitching up to that trailer!!!! He's just trying to save some money since the truck came with a B&W 5th wheel hitch, that's why he let the GooseBox setup go with the rig he sold.

I'd bet if this doesn't go smoothly he'll buy another GooseBox since his new truck has the factory puck system in it and I think it came with a goose ball too.
- Dave

Tags
5th wheel, hitch