Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
CaptRon

Fridge seems to have quit!!!

I towed my RV about 100 miles today. It was working before I left home but when I parked and plugged it in the fridge wouldn't come on. No lights on the front, no lights inside and can't hear it running. I opened the outside panel and check the outlet that it's plugged into. It's got power there. There was an inline fuse in that cabinet and it was good as well.
anyone ever have this problem? It has an on/off switch above the door and is switched on but there are no lights on the panel for auto, propane etc......
CaptRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:01 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Check the 12v dc fuse in the electrical panel. That is what feeds the light and control board. Let us know how you make out, Hank ......and welcome to the forum.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
Terrydactile

If you have a newer Dometic there should be two fuses under the little blcka cover in the outside compartment, 1 is AC and the other is DC. I only mention this because you stated checking one fuse and there is two.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:28 PM   #4
CaptRon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Check the 12v dc fuse in the electrical panel. That is what feeds the light and control board. Let us know how you make out, Hank ......and welcome to the forum.
The electrical panel inside the RV (at the inverter) where the all of the breakers and other fuses are? Is it one of those little 2 bladed automotive fuses?
Thanks for the welcome. I'm driving back up in the morning and will return home Sunday afternoon.
I'll keep ya posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrydactile View Post
If you have a newer Dometic there should be two fuses under the little blcka cover in the outside compartment, 1 is AC and the other is DC. I only mention this because you stated checking one fuse and there is two.
This is the original fridge in a 2000 model 36' Montana 5th wheel. The fuse I saw was inline on a black wire but not under any kind of cover. I do remember a black cover on the lower left inside the outside compartment.
Are these fuses you speak of the twin blade automotive fuses?
I'll check it out tomorrow.
Thx!!!!

Ps-The fridge is a freezer up top w/fridge down below. There is an on/off switch tucked in under the freezer door. the door must be opened to get to the switch.
There are 2 buttons on the face of the fridge above the freezer door. One is for auto/on I believe and the other is for propane on/off......I think?????
Old 10-21-2011, 04:35 PM   #5
SteveC7010

The on/off switch tucked up under the top of the freezer door on the older Dometics controls a heat strip in the frame of the fridge under the freezer door. The heat strip is supposed to prevent condensate buildup in humid weather.

It works fine, but if you're boondocking, it'll wipe out the battery's charge in a real hurry.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:16 PM   #6
Terrydactile

If its a Dometic there are round glass fuses on the circuit board that is under the black plastic cover. There is also a blade type in the fuse/converter panel.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:17 PM   #7
hankaye

CaptRon, Howdy;

Inside the small black control box are 2 auto type (glass cylinder type), fuses.

1. Is for the 12 volt as has been mentioned.

2. Is a 3 amp. it controls the DC side which in turn controls the whole shebang. Nasty little thing the tech's keep to themselve unless ya ask.

Here's the link to the go-'round...;

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3950

Learned that Lesson in Sept.? Anyway, I drug mine to a CW (seller), and it cost me a lot more than a 3 amp. fuse from walmart will cost you. Plus the tow was 105 miles each way (TV is getting about 12 to the gal.).

Hope this helps...

Please let us know what ya find out.. Helps the knowledge base grow...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:01 PM   #8
CaptRon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrydactile View Post
If its a Dometic there are round glass fuses on the circuit board that is under the black plastic cover. There is also a blade type in the fuse/converter panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
CaptRon, Howdy;

Inside the small black control box are 2 auto type (glass cylinder type), fuses.

2. Is a 3 amp. it controls the DC side which in turn controls the whole shebang. Nasty little thing the tech's keep to themselve unless ya ask.

Here's the link to the go-'round...;

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3950

Learned that Lesson in Sept.? Anyway, I drug mine to a CW (seller), and it cost me a lot more than a 3 amp. fuse from walmart will cost you. Plus the tow was 105 miles each way (TV is getting about 12 to the gal.).

Hope this helps...

Please let us know what ya find out.. Helps the knowledge base grow...

hankaye
Sweet!!!!
Thanks guys!
Gonna pickup an assortment of fuses on the way back out tomorrow!!
Old 10-22-2011, 10:17 AM   #9
hankaye

Howdy All;

Boy, do I feel like i have a breeze whistling thru my skull....
When I wrote;

"Inside the small black control box are 2 auto type (glass cylinder type), fuses.

2. Is a 3 amp. it controls the DC side which in turn controls the whole shebang. Nasty little thing the tech's keep to themselve unless ya ask."

For 1. I ment to say (write), 120 volt instead of 12 volt. With these beasts that we deal with that makes a diffrence...

Sorry ........

hankaye

T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:03 PM   #10
Nette64

Question Refridgerator problems

Hi, I have a 2006 springdale camper and the refridgerator seems to have just stopped working. We were getting things ready in the camper for our camping trip this coming weekend and found the freezer had water in it and the freezer along with the fridge was not cool inside and it also has a very strong smell of amonia. Could someone please give me some ideas as to what could possibly be going on? Thanks.

Terry & Jeannette
Nette64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:16 PM   #11
CaptRon

It was that 3 amp fuse.
Thanks a heap!!!
Old 10-23-2011, 01:33 PM   #12
Flyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nette64 View Post
Hi, I have a 2006 springdale camper and the refridgerator seems to have just stopped working. We were getting things ready in the camper for our camping trip this coming weekend and found the freezer had water in it and the freezer along with the fridge was not cool inside and it also has a very strong smell of amonia. Could someone please give me some ideas as to what could possibly be going on? Thanks.

Terry & Jeannette
The amonia that you smell is the refrigerant leaking, NOT GOOD! I would say that the cooling unit has to be replaced. There are websites that will sell you a new cooling unit with instructions on how to change it if you are so inclined. Here's one of them; http://www.rvcoolingunit.net/servlet/StoreFront and here's the other; http://www.rvmobile.com/ they are not difficult to change out but you have to remove the refrigerator from it's mounting and lay it down on the floor to get at the cooling unit and follow the instructions. They will want your old cooling unit in exchange. Checkout the websites and read through the procedures. Hope this helps.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:51 PM   #13
Nette64

Thank you so very much.....I will check into that.
Nette64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:12 PM   #14
Flyguy

Also, the model numbers of the Dometic units have changed! For example; RM2652 as opposed to DM2652, they are the same model, RM was before the recall and DM is after the recall. RM/DM 2652 indicates a 6 cu ft model and RM/DM 2852 is the 8 cu ft model. This does not apply to Norcold refrigerators.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #15
Terrydactile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nette64 View Post

Terry & Jeannette
You have a leaking cooling unit and you have two options;

1. Replace the fridge or,

2. Replace the cooling unit.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:19 PM   #16
Terrydactile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRon View Post
It was that 3 amp fuse.
Thanks a heap!!!
Glad you got it.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:52 PM   #17
hankaye

CaptRon, Howdy;

Thanks for following-up.

and letting us know ya got off cheap

hankaye

Old 07-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #18
tampacamper

I know this thread is old. But my fridge wont run on gas. checked fuses all ok. heard it ticking but wont start after I unplug the shore power.YES the gas was on and full. Luckily the trip today wasn't far from home. But next month 1100 miles. Not so good!!!
tampacamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #19
Festus2
Site Team

tampacamper -
If you have recently switched or filled your propane tanks, there may be air trapped in the line. To purge the air from the lines, try pushing the ON/OFF button 3 or 4 times to see if it will ignite.
Is your battery fully charged? The fridge needs to have 12v for it to operate - even in the gas mode.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:24 AM   #20
azlee56

Hi, I know the ammonia smell has been discussed on here. Go to the search type it in the search thing or do refrigerator. I learned I had to watch my spelling in search though (red face). I remember this isn't a good thing and made me run to my rv to check.

The other thing I need to ask you all, do most keystones have the Dometic fridge, because mine is a norcold and I finally found out it doesn't have the thing attached to the fins. When we went to Vegas, the first night we stayed in a camping TT and I checked its fridge and finally understood what you all were telling me, and then sighed because the fix you all had told me wouldn't work on my fridge.

What kind of refrigerators do you all have?