Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2020, 12:48 PM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

Or use a 1 gallon jug if you want to stretch out the fun!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 04:59 PM   #22
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Well it looks like he has a 2013 model that qualified for 2014 labeling because that particular series number disappears in 2014 and the sprinter Copper Canyon probably became a Wide Body edition.
Old 04-21-2020, 10:30 PM   #23
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
That depiction is very uncouth. You should be ashamed of yourself for using it.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 01:22 PM   #24
X-Jaywalker

Ok gang....we just completed the testing. Good lord the took some time

Thank God I had the DW there to tell me what to do and how to do it, otherwise it probably would be done yesterday!!

This may have not been that accurate but it gave a ball park to realize which source of information was accurate. First we switched the winterize valve on the hot water tank (ours is a 12 Gallon-Sub - SW12DE) to get a more accurate number on the fresh water tank itself.

We filled the fresh water tank until water spilled out the overflow. Then opened the cold water drain into the 5 Gallon buckets until empty. This method took ~10 buckets or ~ 50 gallons.

We then filled the gray water tank, until the water started coming up through the shower drain. Then back outside to drain the grey water tank. We used the 5 Gallon method again. This yielded 7 Gallon bucks until empty, or ~ 35 Gallons.

At this point we questimated that the black tank has the same capacity as the grey tank 35 Gallons.

The 2013 Brochure was close: 51 Gallon Fresh Water, 40 Gallon Gray, and 40 Gallon Waste (Black)

Ta Da!!!!!!!!
Anderson Ultimate 3200
2016 RAM 6.7CTD,4x4,CC, 38 Aux Fuel Tank, Airbags
X-Jaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 01:28 PM   #25
X-Jaywalker

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 Sprinter Specs.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	26794

Here is the brochure I finally found. It has a date of 11/13 printed on it.

Next is adding an Pure Sine Inverter, Battery Management System, New Batteries - currently reviewing AGM vs LiFeP04. This 5er only has a single 12V Wamart Marine battery and a 12V - 120V Converter. More fun.
Anderson Ultimate 3200
2016 RAM 6.7CTD,4x4,CC, 38 Aux Fuel Tank, Airbags
X-Jaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 02:43 PM   #26
notanlines

Larry, we all noticed that you used good sense and stopped your testing when it came to the black tank....good move! And thanks for taking the time. We all appreciate it.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 03:07 PM   #27
dutchmensport

I'll not argue the size of your tanks, but just from a long history of RVing experience, it doesn't take much to fill your tanks. You use a lot more water than you realize, especially if kids are involved.

I did a somewhat unscientific evaluation of our own water usage. It seemed we always ran through a lot of water. Disclaimer: I never leave the water hose under pressure connected to the trailer. I always pump my water from the fresh water tank. Knowing how much water is in the tank, and then dumping water into my blue tote from 3 different tanks, let me figure out how much water was being used. My blue tote is 32 gallons.

My observation has been.... for ever 1 gallon used in the toilet, 2 gallons are used in the shower, and 3 gallons are used from the kitchen sink. This became apparent with our last camper that did not have an outside sink and we simply rinsed dishes outside. Once dishwashing moved inside on our current camper, it was amazing how fast the kitchen galley tank filled up first! It didn't matter how big the holding tanks are, I strive to have less than 32 gallons in each tank so there is never an overflow spill when using my blue tote.

When we don't have the son and/or grandson with us, we know instinctively when its time to dump. When others are with us, it's impossible to keep track of water usage, and it does go much faster than expected.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:24 PM   #28
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
I'll not argue the size of your tanks, but just from a long history of RVing experience, it doesn't take much to fill your tanks. You use a lot more water than you realize, especially if kids are involved.

I did a somewhat unscientific evaluation of our own water usage. It seemed we always ran through a lot of water. Disclaimer: I never leave the water hose under pressure connected to the trailer. I always pump my water from the fresh water tank. Knowing how much water is in the tank, and then dumping water into my blue tote from 3 different tanks, let me figure out how much water was being used. My blue tote is 32 gallons.

My observation has been.... for ever 1 gallon used in the toilet, 2 gallons are used in the shower, and 3 gallons are used from the kitchen sink. This became apparent with our last camper that did not have an outside sink and we simply rinsed dishes outside. Once dishwashing moved inside on our current camper, it was amazing how fast the kitchen galley tank filled up first! It didn't matter how big the holding tanks are, I strive to have less than 32 gallons in each tank so there is never an overflow spill when using my blue tote.

When we don't have the son and/or grandson with us, we know instinctively when its time to dump. When others are with us, it's impossible to keep track of water usage, and it does go much faster than expected.
From our full-time experiences we found the shower/bath grey tank would be more like 3-5 to 1 of the black even turning the shower head off between lather & rinse, but did have a washing machine & the kitchen about equal to the black.
We could go 5-7 days on the black & kitchen & possibly 2 on the bath.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 03:26 PM   #29
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Larry, we all noticed that you used good sense and stopped your testing when it came to the black tank....good move! And thanks for taking the time. We all appreciate it.
^^ I second that good sense! BUT, if you do become so inquiring that you just have to know then have someone record it on the phone and post it here!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:24 AM   #30
vulcanwayne

Holding tank capacity

If you have two grey water tanks are there two separate drain valves or are they plumbed together?
vulcanwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:50 AM   #31
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcanwayne View Post
If you have two grey water tanks are there two separate drain valves or are they plumbed together?
Usually they have separate valves, one may be very well hidden.
BUT it is a RV so having them plumbed together wouldn't be to far fetched, depends on what the knucklehead at the factory had to drink or smoked the night before.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:05 AM   #32
German Shepherd Guy

Mine (28RBPR) has two drain valves for grey water and one for black. (Of course they were mislabeled )

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:23 AM   #33
Larrystegall

Clean em out

Used trailers often have sat for some time, and may not have flushed tanks well in the past. Do the old soap and water and slosh down the road and dump, then check capacity. Black tanks are the worst in a number of ways. Mostly two....
Larrystegall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:57 AM   #34
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrystegall View Post
Used trailers often have sat for some time, and may not have flushed tanks well in the past. Do the old soap and water and slosh down the road and dump, then check capacity. Black tanks are the worst in a number of ways. Mostly two....

That's "number two" LOL

As for black tanks, if you're wanting to measure the size... Measure what you pour into the tank, Don't subject yourself to counting the buckets that come out.... This is one time when "preplanning" not "post planning" is esthetically more pleasant.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank