Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2019, 06:58 PM   #1
Knights300ml

Rear cargo rack bicycle rack

Hello all once again asking if anyone has utilized the factory cargo racks upright bar attachment to attach a bicycle rack and what type of rack bee searching high and low and they all show 2" reciever mounts.
2008 ST1300
2015 VFR800
Knights300ml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:06 AM   #2
66joej

Can't help with the bike rack but if you use the rack replace the hitch pins with 1/2" bolts/nuts. We carry lawn chairs on it and the bolts stop the up/down oscillating.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:49 PM   #3
Customer1

Beats me what they had in mind, I guess you're expected to simply lash the bike frame to the vertical arm

Calling it a bicycle rack is just a marketing gimmick.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:57 PM   #4
PaulRod

We have the fold up cargo rack on the back of our Cougar 29BHS. We use it to carry 2 Honda generators. In the past we had a cargo carrier for our SUV. It had the same folding tube as the Keystone unit. The bikes were tied off Ancra straps. the pole had a loop at the top that we ran a cable lock through and around the bikes for good measure. Whether you get a cargo rack installed on the trailer or they have installed a receiver just get a bike rack or a cargo carrier with the pole to lean the bikes on.
PaulRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:07 PM   #5
HandymanK

We will carry 2 to 6 bikes with us on the rack. The support pole we will wrap with a pool noodle slice the full length, this helps to protect the finish on the bike. Then use straps hooked to the rack to support the bikes. Traveled 5000 miles plus so far without loosing any of them, grandkids and DW happy about that.

I have thought of asking DW to ride back there to monitor how they ride but her attorney advised me not to ask.
HandymanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:43 PM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandymanK View Post
We will carry 2 to 6 bikes with us on the rack. The support pole we will wrap with a pool noodle slice the full length, this helps to protect the finish on the bike. Then use straps hooked to the rack to support the bikes. Traveled 5000 miles plus so far without loosing any of them, grandkids and DW happy about that.

I have thought of asking DW to ride back there to monitor how they ride but her attorney advised me not to ask.
She has a very good attorney so you better behave!!!

The key thing here is straps not bungees or ropes. Ratchet straps will keep things tight and reduce bounce considerably.

I slid the upright part of a hitch mount bike rack over the Cougar's upright post. I could turn it either way so it could be used with the slide-out in or out.

hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rack