Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2019, 02:04 PM   #21
BamaRam

The saga continues. Wind from the curb side blows burned LP into the enclosure. I left the access panel off for a few days and the LP detector didn’t alarm. But the wife complained of fumes so I reinstalled the panel and it alarmed.

So today sealed everything I possibly could on the outside, checked the burner tube for obstructions, and rechecked the combustion chamber.

As I was sitting there between the slides working on the heater with the wind at my back, I can understand why the exhaust could tend to backdraft. Now I have to stop it from coming into the coach.
BamaRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:52 AM   #22
rfloyd

I have a 2018 Outback 29UBH. I have a Suburban water heater. Not every time but often enough to be a problem the water heater sets off the propane detector when using propane vs electric. The water heater is located under the kitchen sink about 3 feet from the propane detector. We do not have a pet and non of the other "user" suggestions were present each time it is triggered. What we do have is a noticeable smell of what I would describe and "paint burning off a new appliance" when this happens. Unfortunately it does not do this every time so the dealer is unable to replicate the issue. They have "cleaned the flue" "adjusted the flame" "checked the exhaust" all of which are normal. Has anyone experienced this issue? Thanks
rfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:01 AM   #23
BamaRam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfloyd View Post
I have a 2018 Outback 29UBH. I have a Suburban water heater. Not every time but often enough to be a problem the water heater sets off the propane detector when using propane vs electric. The water heater is located under the kitchen sink about 3 feet from the propane detector. We do not have a pet and non of the other "user" suggestions were present each time it is triggered. What we do have is a noticeable smell of what I would describe and "paint burning off a new appliance" when this happens. Unfortunately it does not do this every time so the dealer is unable to replicate the issue. They have "cleaned the flue" "adjusted the flame" "checked the exhaust" all of which are normal. Has anyone experienced this issue? Thanks

I haven't figure out how it's happening, but strong wind blowing into the heater exhaust causes the water heater compartment to fill with burnt LP. Since the detector is mounted on the compartment, the fumes go through the 1 1/2" wiring hole for the detector and cause it to alarm.

I've sealed the best i can without removing the heater.

Maybe if the dealer were to turn a strong fan into the exhaust vent, the problem would arise.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:39 PM   #24
BamaRam

I taped the hole in the enclosure for the LP detector and problem went away.

I know the hole serves a purpose other than providing a path for the wire. There’s an LP line to the WH.

I probably should replace the detector with another that knows the difference between CO2 and LP gas.
BamaRam is offline   Reply With Quote