Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2018, 02:12 PM   #1
BamaRam

LP Detector

The LP detector has been alarming in conjunction with using LP for water heater. It is mounted on the cabinet that houses the water heater and has a 1” hole in the cabinet for the wiring.

In reading the forum I have found information stating that about anything can cause it to alarm including the after effects of tacos. So that got me to thinking.

I think what is happening is the wind is blowing into the face of the cover and preventing the fumes from combustion from escaping, thus causing the fumes to accumulate in the cabinet. Can this be possible?

I should probably add; the heater cover is between the extended slide outs and the wind was blowing hard towards the curb side, I did check for loose gas line at the heater, and the mfg date on the detector is 12/2016.
BamaRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 03:36 PM   #2
shiggs68

The water heater housing is sealed around the edges of your RV’s siding. Normally there is no way combustion fumes can be forced back into your RV around the heater area.

A LP detector alarms for 3 reasons:
1. Age (only good for 60 months from the born date printed on the back)
2. Low 12vdc voltage (they are hardwired to the house battery)
3. Of course Propane, Butane (propellant used in many aerosols), and Methane gas (yes, animal and human gas)
shiggs68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 03:56 PM   #3
bobbecky

Even though they are supposed to be good for five years, that is an average life, and possibly, like you, ours failed at about 2 1/2 years. I just got a new one and replaced it. It just wasn't worth the hassle to try to get a warranty replacement from the manufacturer. Our rig also has a carbon monoxide detector, 9 volt battery operated, and it failed about 6 months after the propane detector failed. The only detector that lasted at least five years was the smoke detector, and when that failed, I got a new one from HD or Lowes, and it has a permanent battery, and when the battery finally dies, you just replace the unit when it gives the signal. I'm pretty sure the signal will come at a late hour at night when I'm tight asleep.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 05:22 PM   #4
BamaRam

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggs68 View Post
The water heater housing is sealed around the edges of your RV’s siding. Normally there is no way combustion fumes can be forced back into your RV around the heater area.

A LP detector alarms for 3 reasons:
1. Age (only good for 60 months from the born date printed on the back)
2. Low 12vdc voltage (they are hardwired to the house battery)
3. Of course Propane, Butane (propellant used in many aerosols), and Methane gas (yes, animal and human gas)
I can eliminate 1 and 2. Could possibly be hair spray since bath door is across from detector.

I’m a bit skeptical that anything in this trailer is “normal”, but maybe in this instance it’s the user.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:26 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Years ago when we had a Cabana hybrid our dog then had one, and only one place that he would sleep. That pace was on the floor with his butt almost against the detector. Like clock work around 3 a.m. his digestive system would set off the alarm. It's funny now reminiscing, it wasn't so humorous at the time.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:29 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Some cleaning products will set off the alarm.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:13 PM   #7
Old Mustanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Some cleaning products will set off the alarm.
Insect spray will also set them off.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:19 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

The propane detector has a platinum coated monitor circuit in it. That monitor circuit changes resistance based on the presence of propane or several other forms of "gas or chemicals" in order to "trigger an alarm". Each time the detector chemically changes resistance, a portion of the platinum coating is consumed. Once the coating reaches a "failure point" the propane detector will stop working properly. It can stop by triggering false alarms or by not triggering in the presence of LPG. Essentially, it just becomes unpredictable.

Some things that you might consider are:

1. LP gas will trigger the alarm. Continued triggering will destroy (consume) the monitor circuit and destroy the detector.
2. Any hair spray, aerosol deodorant or air freshener will affect the platinum coating. In a camping environment, bug spray/sun screen are "potential killers" for the LP detector.
3. Using some cleaning liquids (think Swiffer mops, etc) can affect the platinum coating.
4. Testing the LP detector by using a butane match or BBQ lighter will cause the platinum coating to be "consumed partially".
5. Any exposure to "gas" LP, Butane, human/animal will affect the longevity of the detector.
6. Dust, pet hair, "camping dirt" can affect the coating and should be cleaned with a soft cloth, compressed air or a vacuum.

While under "ideal conditions" the LP detector should last 5-6 years, it's very easy to destroy one in a single camping season if it is subjected to some environmental/household conditions.

Just because it's only 2 years old doesn't mean the platinum coating on the monitor circuit is not "completely destroyed".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:29 AM   #9
DocP

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Years ago when we had a Cabana hybrid our dog then had one, and only one place that he would sleep. That pace was on the floor with his butt almost against the detector. Like clock work around 3 a.m. his digestive system would set off the alarm. It's funny now reminiscing, it wasn't so humorous at the time.
Same here with my dog many years ago. The poor thing had such a guilty look on her face when the alarm went off!
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 03:02 AM   #10
Pull Toy

Is that why it's also called a GAS DETECTOR? LOL

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:30 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The propane detector has a platinum coated monitor circuit in it. That monitor circuit changes resistance based on the presence of propane or several other forms of "gas or chemicals" in order to "trigger an alarm". Each time the detector chemically changes resistance, a portion of the platinum coating is consumed. Once the coating reaches a "failure point" the propane detector will stop working properly. It can stop by triggering false alarms or by not triggering in the presence of LPG. Essentially, it just becomes unpredictable.

Some things that you might consider are:

1. LP gas will trigger the alarm. Continued triggering will destroy (consume) the monitor circuit and destroy the detector.
2. Any hair spray, aerosol deodorant or air freshener will affect the platinum coating. In a camping environment, bug spray/sun screen are "potential killers" for the LP detector.
3. Using some cleaning liquids (think Swiffer mops, etc) can affect the platinum coating.
4. Testing the LP detector by using a butane match or BBQ lighter will cause the platinum coating to be "consumed partially".
5. Any exposure to "gas" LP, Butane, human/animal will affect the longevity of the detector.
6. Dust, pet hair, "camping dirt" can affect the coating and should be cleaned with a soft cloth, compressed air or a vacuum.

While under "ideal conditions" the LP detector should last 5-6 years, it's very easy to destroy one in a single camping season if it is subjected to some environmental/household conditions.

Just because it's only 2 years old doesn't mean the platinum coating on the monitor circuit is not "completely destroyed".
As a note to John's #6 don't use the canned "compressed air" sold as computer cleaner like the "Dust Off" brand as it is just a can of propane. Read the label on the vast majority of aerosol cans and the propellent is a flammable gas.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:47 AM   #12
dancewithmarg

During this last vacation we just returned from, we were woken up at 3 am (and probably our neighbours were, also) by the propane alarm going off. After stumbling around without contacts in for a few minutes, we found the mute button on it. Upon opening the cupboard under the sink, where the water heater is situated, there was a slight but definite smell of gas. DH turned off the gas tanks outside and after leaving the door open for a little while, we returned to bed, with no more alarms. The following day we were happy to find out about the switch that switches the water heater over to electric. We also found the following day that the propane tank we had been switched on to was empty. (We had not received any indication of this.) After switching to a full tank there was no more smell of gas or alarms, so we are guessing that was the reason for the smell. One reassuring thing about this whole thing is that the alarm went off with only the smallest whiff of gas, before we ever felt any effects from it, so I slept OK knowing this once we got back into bed.
Marg
dancewithmarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 05:52 PM   #13
BamaRam

Well this thing continues to plague me. The circumstances are always the same. High wind and using LP water heater. No other situation sets it off.

Today I removed the combustion chamber cover and found nothing wrong, but I did find that the three long screws that attach the unit to the side of the camper were very loose. I turned them all about 4 turns and it pulled the heater towards the siding a good bit. It appears combustion air could enter the cabin if those mating surfaces are loose. Maybe it's fixed, only time will tell.
Old 04-07-2019, 04:36 AM   #14
Lee

Good find,... please report back on the success (or not).

Thanks,
Lee

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:30 AM   #15
Salt Life

So it's the CO detector going off not the LP detector? LP detects a leaky gas line. LP smells like rotten eggs....

Hope you fixed it. Serious stuff.....
Salt Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:17 PM   #16
BamaRam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt Life View Post
So it's the CO detector going off not the LP detector? LP detects a leaky gas line. LP smells like rotten eggs....

Hope you fixed it. Serious stuff.....
It’s the LP detector. There is no LP smell or any other smell. The detector is mounted on one of the panels that encloses the water heater. There is a hole behind the detector for the wiring that acts as an escape route for any fumes that may accumulate in the enclosure.

And it just alarmed again while DW was in the shower during a stiff wind.

Gotta figure this out.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:26 PM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

Check the rubber grommets that the gas line and any wiring goes through.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:15 PM   #18
BamaRam

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Check the rubber grommets that the gas line and any wiring goes through.
I checked the grommets and seals and they all looked good. I also removed the access panel and looked for daylight. I found it. Since my unit has aluminum siding, some light filters in from the clear sealant. On closer examination with a bright light I can see that the seal may not be doing it’s job in the top corners.

So shoved some black RTV in those areas from the outside. If that doesn’t do it, it’s time for expansion foam from the inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	top of heater.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	21291   Click image for larger version

Name:	rtv installed.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	217.7 KB
ID:	21292   Click image for larger version

Name:	outside sealant.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	21293  
Old 04-08-2019, 06:24 PM   #19
chuckster57
Site Team

Sounds like your getting there.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:03 PM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

Bama, sounds like you are making progress. I know it is aggravating. I'm hoping this fixes it or you find the cure soon. Have fun.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote