Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2017, 09:21 AM   #1
Dcbc82

Tire pressure monitoring systems

What are some of the best tire pressure monitoring systems to use with a smart phone. I'm looking to put one on tires for my Pass Port TT.
Dcbc82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:51 AM   #2
xrated

This past spring, I bought the Tire Minder brand, it's called TireMinder Smart TPMS. I have 4 transmitters (one for each trailer wheel/tire) and it comes with a Rhino Booster that is 12VDC and gets it's power from the trailer house battery. The Booster then sends a signal to a RF to Bluetooth unit that is mounted on the back window of the truck and it in turn sends Bluetooth to my Smartphone. TireMinder has the app for it in the Google Play store, so that's a free download and once you do that, and get it setup, you are good to go. I've had mine out three times and it's worked well. It reports tire pressure, tire temperature, and also works if you have the app open, but the phone is in sleep mode. I simply didn't want another monitor on the dash or windshield and so far, it is working just as advertised and I'm very happy with it. It will monitor up to 22 sensors if someone needed that many. Transmitter batteries are replaceable by the end user and they screw onto the valve stem of the wheel. They do recommend that you use metal valve stems. Battery life is suppose to be approx. one year and they are the small watch/calculator type batteries, but I can't remember the number off the top of my head.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:09 PM   #3
Tbos

I also have a tire minder system on my Passport TT.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 03:05 PM   #4
bill-e

I bought the EezTire system. I personally like the separate monitor and no need for a booster.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 03:43 PM   #5
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill-e View Post
I bought the EezTire system. I personally like the separate monitor and no need for a booster.
I also use an EezTire TPMS system as I like the independent "constant on" monitoring. I was having signal isues (albeit rarely) on the back two tires of the trailer. After I installed the booster, I haven't had an interruption of signal from any tire. For an additional $50, it was worth it.

Any TPMS installed will lower your risk (not eliminate it) of a catastrophic failure...a good thing for all vehicles on the road. I worry less now when I'm tugging along 7,000 lbs.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:22 PM   #6
Canonman

We just installed the Truck Systems Technology (TST 507SG4) TPMS. It absolutely saved our vacation earlier this spring. We were alerted of one wheel that was going way over temp. Pressure was OK. I thought wheel bearing. Turned out the brake was engaged on that wheel. Adjusted the trailer brake in the truck and all was well.
Don't know why an app is wanted. A display in the truck cab seems to be adequate. The TST system needed no booster. In fact, I can read the pressure and temp while the truck is in the garage and the trailer is parked on the side of the house.
Cost was about $250 from Great RV Products.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4940.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	328.7 KB
ID:	13301  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:33 PM   #7
Bolo4u

I just installed a Tire Minder smart on four brand new Carlisle 235/80 R16 LRE tires. I had the tire shop inflate to 80 psi. When I installed the sensors, each tire was showing about 76 PSI. The manual does say there can be variances in pressure readings. I set the baseline at 80 psi for the monitor. I towed about 260 miles today from the Chico, CA area to almost Grants Pass,OR. I checked the readings a few times. No more than a couple pounds increase in each tire and no readings over about 103 temp. The ambient air temp was anywhere from about 95-104 on the trip. So far, very happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:43 PM   #8
bill-e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
We just installed the Truck Systems Technology (TST 507SG4) TPMS. It absolutely saved our vacation earlier this spring. We were alerted of one wheel that was going way over temp. Pressure was OK. I thought wheel bearing. Turned out the brake was engaged on that wheel. Adjusted the trailer brake in the truck and all was well.
Don't know why an app is wanted. A display in the truck cab seems to be adequate. The TST system needed no booster. In fact, I can read the pressure and temp while the truck is in the garage and the trailer is parked on the side of the house.
How is the display on the 507? My EezTire is a plain old LCD with a very weak backlight and it's difficult for me to see on sunny days.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
Old 07-09-2017, 08:19 PM   #9
MattHelm21

I have the 507RV and the display is LCD with a backlight. It can be difficult to see in some light conditions but is easily moved into a different location since it recharges and operates on the battery for days. I'm currently trying to find some additional dash mount attachments so we can move this between the driver and passenger side.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:46 PM   #10
Canonman

Quote:
How is the display on the 507? My EezTire is a plain old LCD with a very weak backlight and it's difficult for me to see on sunny days.
The display is backlit. I have ours installed with the windshield mount. It sits nicely above the rearview mirror. Most times I can see the read out with no problem. MY polarized sunglasses sometimes make it hard to read depending on the sun position.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_2786.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	301.0 KB
ID:	13302  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:18 PM   #11
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Same one I have from Vulcan Tire. No tax, free shipping. Works great and easy to read in any light condition. Get the flow through sensors.

http://www.vulcantire.com/tst_507rv5_4wl_ft_sys.htm
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:22 AM   #12
Ddubya

I have the EezTire and just returned from a 6000 mile trip. I had the monitor on the driver side of the windshield for the first part of the trip and had a few drop outs on reception. I then moved it to the center and it worked much better.
No matter what you buy IMHO knowing that your tires are OK makes the drive more enjoyable.

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:51 PM   #13
the sodfather

I recently pick up a used TST507 with flow-through valves from someone on this forum. I love it. It works great and is very easy to see. I use the windshield mount above my registration sticker. Set up was easier by watching the YouTube video. All in all, I'd buy it again. Heck, my brother is getting one for his new TT.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:45 PM   #14
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.
Quote:
I just installed the EezTire and have no issues with seeing the screen. How old is yours? So I know how long I could expect.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
Retired from Armstrong World Industries
Retired Period, But Not From Life
2007 Toyota Tundra
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:08 AM   #15
bill-e

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrySharon View Post
I just installed the EezTire and have no issues with seeing the screen. How old is yours? So I know how long I could expect.
Larry, mine is brand new. What I meant to say is that the screen is LCD style with a weak backlight as opposed to a newer style LCD screen, like a phone, that you can see it well.

I think I mostly resolved my problem by tilting the monitor up a bit to increase the contrast at my viewing position.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI