Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2016, 01:29 PM   #1
gearhead

Saving $24,000

It's Texas, it's hot. I been staring at the computer so long my eyes are flipping up and down all by themselves. I added 14 things to my Amazon wish list.

So I've had this love/hate thing going for many years with cabover campers. Our first RV was a 3rd hand old Tejas cabover. Went all over the place with it. Never a problem. So I'm thinking I'll find another one like it. Small and simple. Throw a couple changes of clothes in it and cover some ground fast. No worries about cheap Chinese tires, cheap Chinese bearings, and slideouts. I might be able to wedge it in a spot in my fenced off backyard "junkyard" along with the 5th, the utility trailer, the GoDevil, the storage barn, the garden, and the lightly used fish cleaning table. I've spent 3 days looking at used cabovers on the internet. I probably posted 10 times on another forum. I called a Camping World in Portland, Oregon about a Bigfoot. It seems the better quality cabovers are made in the Northwest and BC. If you see a cabover in Texas, take a picture because there ain't many of them here. So I finally kinda eased this issue on the DW. She knew I had my eyes glued to the laptop over something anyway. She asked if I want to sell the 5th. Oh no baby just something for fishing trips and maybe dirt track races. So I found a 8 year old Bigfoot camper that the owner said he never used. He bought it, brought it home, and parked it. Slept in it 2-3 times. He's asking $22,500. Kinda brings tears to your eyes don't it? Well, it did me.
An hour ago I had an epiphany...how to shake the cabover blues. I announced to the DW...I can save us $24,000! HOW? If I spend $1,000 to install an auxiliary diesel tank in the truck bed I will not be able to put a cabover back there. We need one anyway. Remember Rising Fawn Georgia where we almost ran out of fuel? Good!
So what do you think I should post on the other forum? Never mind?
Y'all have a great 4th of July, I'll be waiting on the truck accessory shop to open Tuesday.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 02:59 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Ha!! I like the way you think! I've had success with that in the recent past but when I brought in a new smoker yesterday telling DW to think about all the money we would save by not buying smoked meats (I gave my last smoker to my son about 3 years ago) it didn't sell so easy Guess I should've thought of a better line..err, reason/rationale/excuse??
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:36 PM   #3
gearhead

The DW needed to get out of the house this afternoon. We did our drive by of boat ramps at Oak Island and Hugo Point just looking. Driving along I told her I need to go buy something to put on the smoker tomorrow. I'm thinking it'll be a good day to smoke and sip. We usually freeze the leftovers for RV trips.
What kind of smoker did you get?
I got one of these about 5 years ago:
http://www.lyfetyme.com/
Happy with it so far.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 07-03-2016, 07:05 PM   #4
bsmith0404

My parents have a 5th wheel and truck camper as well. I think the aux tank is a much better option and will get a lot more use.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:51 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Come on guys. Do you really think that you are somehow convincing your wives that, by using what you think is rational and logical thinking, you are fooling them? I'm almost certain that if you have been living together for this many years, they know all about your devious little tricks and tactics that you use to buy something you want: cab-over campers, fuel tanks or whatever.

Trust me, they are just letting you think that they don't have a clue what you are up to. They are simply stroking your male ego into thinking that men can outsmart women and get their way. We all like to think that but let's be honest here ---- we are the ones that are being duped so don't pat yourself on the back.

They are on to us. They always have been so why not just come out and say what we want and forget the illogical logic, the "rationales" and "excuses". We're not fooling anyone but ourselves.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:17 AM   #6
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Come on guys. Do you really think that you are somehow convincing your wives that, by using what you think is rational and logical thinking, you are fooling them? I'm almost certain that if you have been living together for this many years, they know all about your devious little tricks and tactics that you use to buy something you want: cab-over campers, fuel tanks or whatever.

Trust me, they are just letting you think that they don't have a clue what you are up to. They are simply stroking your male ego into thinking that men can outsmart women and get their way. We all like to think that but let's be honest here ---- we are the ones that are being duped so don't pat yourself on the back.

They are on to us. They always have been so why not just come out and say what we want and forget the illogical logic, the "rationales" and "excuses". We're not fooling anyone but ourselves.
So correct ~~~ after 46 years I don't even try. Example the day before Father's Day I said I was going to buy a new truck. She said "that will be your FD present and I'm not even going to buy you a card with that purchase". She walked out of the kitchen night before last and said "you are taking the boat fishing in the morning" had not even mentioned it. After so long they can read your mind.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:18 AM   #7
jsmith948

Quote:

Yeah - but it's FUN!! Kinda what has made our world go 'round for 49 years

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:25 AM   #8
Desert185

"Saving $24,000" and wife experiences morphing into the same thread. I guess it could happen.

Further reinforcing the fact that I'm a lucky guy. Happy Independence Day.

-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:29 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
The DW needed to get out of the house this afternoon. We did our drive by of boat ramps at Oak Island and Hugo Point just looking. Driving along I told her I need to go buy something to put on the smoker tomorrow. I'm thinking it'll be a good day to smoke and sip. We usually freeze the leftovers for RV trips.
What kind of smoker did you get?
I got one of these about 5 years ago:
http://www.lyfetyme.com/
Happy with it so far.
Not to hijack the thread, but you started it

I committed sacrilege I suppose; I bought an electric smoker.

When we retired I had a shop built BBQ pit on a trailer because I had a lot of employees and we had gatherings with friends quite often. I also used to eat a lot more back then Got rid of it and have used a couple of barrel type pits similar to what you linked to. I just got tired of monitoring the fire - and the pits were so big I felt obligated to put a lot of stuff on it, so, when it was done I went around to the neighbors and gave it away. Plus, they were HEAVY and hard to maneuver.

I know there are pros and cons to both types, and the wood pit is the way to go in many, if not most, minds, but I'll be using wood smoke and it will hopefully turn out some good meat and I won't have to spend so much time at it.....and, I can run it with my smartphone!! Time will tell.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:52 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

After 49 years DW and I don't fool each other on anything. Our brains were pretty much in tune when we met at 14 and now we almost know what the other is thinking at any given moment.

I guess it's a game. If I just come out and say "I'm buying xyz" and then go do it, it's not the same as when I say I think I'm going to get xyz and rationalize it with some farcical reason. At that point she can make fun of me, voice any concern or just let it go. Anyway, the unfortunate part is that I'm not going to be able to "save" anything near $24,000 like gearhead .....ahh, but such is life.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:57 AM   #11
Desert185

Sourdough:

I bought an electric, Cookshack smoker a number of years ago at an SCI convention when they were giving out rib samples. The taste sold me. Wood smoke is wood smoke and the big benefit for me was the fact that it is insulated, allowing me to consistently maintain the proper inside temp during the cold winter months here in 5,400' Nevada. Best ribs, pork loin and Cornish hens, etc. I've ever had.

It will hold a 15# turkey, too. Anything bigger goes in the Weber kettle with a little pecan on the charcoal. I'm hungry...
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:49 AM   #12
gearhead

Me and the DW have known each other since day 1. Our parents were good friends. Went all through school together. Sat on the back row together at church playing footsie. I can't fool her about anything.
I'm having a relapse. After spending hours on the internet looking at the install of the RDS aux tank and how it is different for a SRW, the owner of the never used 8 year old cabover made a significant price drop.
I'm looking at flights to Baltimore.......
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 07-05-2016, 02:29 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Me and the DW have known each other since day 1. Our parents were good friends. Went all through school together. Sat on the back row together at church playing footsie. I can't fool her about anything.
I'm having a relapse. After spending hours on the internet looking at the install of the RDS aux tank and how it is different for a SRW, the owner of the never used 8 year old cabover made a significant price drop.
I'm looking at flights to Baltimore.......
"Flights" to Baltimore?? Reckon they'll let you bring that cab over on as a carry on?
Old 07-05-2016, 06:13 PM   #14
gearhead

We're back and forth about going to Maryland in the truck or me flying up to look, then going back with the truck. Owner has plans for next weekend. I'll probably drive up in the truck and make a decision after looking it over.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 07-05-2016, 07:34 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Good luck with whatever you decide. Man, I hate to see you pass up an opportunity to "save" $24k!
Old 07-06-2016, 01:49 AM   #16
gearhead

Ha ha, yeah I just have to get out of the cabover blues. It might be one of those 3 year things....bought and sold. My brother said he wants the usual family discount when I sell it to him.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 07-06-2016, 04:19 AM   #17
bsmith0404

It doesn't matter what the circumstances are with anything we purchase, it's always something "I" did. My DW is the one who wanted a new RV when we bought this one. She didn't like the last one and complained about it every time we used it. She's the one that fell in love with the Alpine and said this is the one......now according to her, I was the one who decided we need a new camper. I guess technically she is right....she complained about the last so when the St Louis RV show came up, I suggested we go look and that started the shopping process. Then I bought the dually to tow this beast, so that means I got a new truck........all justiification for her to buy other "stuff", as if I had any say in that anyway.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:25 AM   #18
gearhead

I am very familiar with that logic. lol
When she asked me if I wanted to sell the 5th wheel I almost told her I will give it a year.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 07-21-2016, 04:27 PM   #19
gearhead

Left Liberty Saturday morning. Spent the night in Comfort Inn, Cleveland TN. Got to Hagerstown, MD Sunday night. (22-23 MPG on the Ram!). Looked at the Bigfoot and bought it. Monday night in a KOA, Tuesday night in Smokey Mtn Nat Park Smokemont Campground. Drove 12 hours to Livingston, LA. Then home today. No issues. No problems getting in restaurants, gas stations, etc.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 07-22-2016, 09:08 AM   #20
Tbos

Post some pictures of your Bigfoot.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote