Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2016, 08:13 AM   #1
Mike484

X-Chock VS. OneStep

I realize that the SteadyFast stabilizer is probably the best stabilizer system, but I'm wanting to go with the X-Chock or OneStep. I'm curious what others opinions/experiences are with the X-Chocks and the OneStep chocks and which seems to provide the best stabilization.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:55 AM   #2
CWSWine

I'm also interested in the comments. I had X-Chocks and didn't think they help all that much with the movement. I traded 5er and the X-Chocks won't fit between the wheels so I sold them. Now we have traded 5er again and bought the OneStep that will be here today for trip to Tucson. If you use X-Chocks you still have to use chocks behind the wheel and with the one step act as chocks also.
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:00 AM   #3
Desert185

SteadyFast and the simplicity and ease of use of the OneStep chock for us. Step vs cranking. Seems like a no-brainer.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:06 AM   #4
Mike484

How well does the OneStep work on soft or unlevel ground? This is the advantage I think the X-Chock has.

And yes, I was just about to purchase the X-Chock but when I looked at the OneStep, I thought the same, much easier to use and probalby will fit in the storage compartment better.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500

Old 03-07-2016, 09:15 AM   #5
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike484 View Post
How well does the OneStep work on soft or unlevel ground? This is the advantage I think the X-Chock has.

And yes, I was just about to purchase the X-Chock but when I looked at the OneStep, I thought the same, much easier to use and probalby will fit in the storage compartment better.
It hinges sufficiently to adapt to uneven and soft terrain. I haven't had any issues with it. I keep mine in the back of the truck, because it has a tendency to gather mud or dirt.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:23 AM   #6
Mike484

Thanks Desert, very helpful info. At this point, I'm leaning towards the OneStep. Even if they do gather dirt and mud, I can always put them in the truck until I can clean them up.

Do they help much with stabilization?

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500

Old 03-07-2016, 09:24 AM   #7
4LowNGo

I have the one step and it's so quick n simple to use. Can't comment on the x-chock but people seem to like them as well
Old 03-07-2016, 09:28 AM   #8
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike484 View Post
Thanks Desert, very helpful info. At this point, I'm leaning towards the OneStep. Even if they do gather dirt and mud, I can always put them in the truck until I can clean them up.

Do they help much with stabilization?
The only thing that truly helped lateral stabilization on our rig was the SteadyFast. The chocks will keep the trailer from rolling only.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:56 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

I've not used the One Step but it appears to me that it would probably have the same issue I've had with chocks you place on the ground; over time, especially with wet weather, they will move in the earth. The movement inside the trailer, wind etc. usually ends up with one really tight and the other one not so tight. The X chocks (which I use now) eliminate that because they are attached to the tires and even if the tires settle into the earth the X chocks still have the tires bound up. Trying to ratchet them down is a bit of a pain but no more than trying to get the ground chocks tight under the tires- imo.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:51 PM   #10
Floton

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I've not used the One Step but it appears to me that it would probably have the same issue I've had with chocks you place on the ground; over time, especially with wet weather, they will move in the earth. The movement inside the trailer, wind etc. usually ends up with one really tight and the other one not so tight. The X chocks (which I use now) eliminate that because they are attached to the tires and even if the tires settle into the earth the X chocks still have the tires bound up. Trying to ratchet them down is a bit of a pain but no more than trying to get the ground chocks tight under the tires- imo.
X2

I have had both. Gave the one steps away for this reason.
Floton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:59 PM   #11
Mike484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
The only thing that truly helped lateral stabilization on our rig was the SteadyFast. The chocks will keep the trailer from rolling only.
Yes, SteadyFast is probably by far, the best way to go. Getting ready for a 10 day trip in two weeks and wanted to try something else first and see if they stop enough that we can live with it because i dont have the time right now to install the SteadyFast.

Reading the reviews on the X-Chocks, many of the users claim that a lot of the movement was eliminated. Then when I read reviews on the OneStep, they did not cliam movement was eliminated but seemed to have preferred them over X-Chocks.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500

Old 03-07-2016, 05:15 PM   #12
CWSWine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
The manual that came with my X-Chocks warned about using them as chocks and that they were not to be used to replace for chocks by in addition to. Have they change this? I have put X-Chalks in and couple hours later when the tires cooled down they were lose...
Old 03-07-2016, 05:32 PM   #13
Mike484

I would still use Chocks, if it were me.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500

Old 03-07-2016, 06:38 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
The manual that came with my X-Chocks warned about using them as chocks and that they were not to be used to replace for chocks by in addition to. Have they change this? I have put X-Chalks in and couple later when the tires cooled down they were lose...
No, BAL hasn't changed that limitation on using X-Chocks. When you install them tightly on "hot tires", as the tires cool, the X-Chocks will loosen. The factory recommends that the trailer be "chocked with conventional chocks to prevent rolling.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:03 PM   #15
CWSWine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
No, BAL hasn't changed that limitation on using X-Chocks. When you install them tightly on "hot tires", as the tires cool, the X-Chocks will loosen. The factory recommends that the trailer be "chocked with conventional chocks to prevent rolling.
That's what I thought, you have X-Chocks and regular chocks to deal with I wouldn't trust X-Chocks to chalk my 5er. I wasn't impressed with X-Chocks on our Cougar and didn't think they help much if any to stabilize the 5er. So I decided to try the OneStep and even if they didn't work to stabilize the 5er I will have set of chocks that I don't have to pull forward and back to get out from under the wheel.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:54 PM   #16
Desert185

I don't get that the X chocks stop trailer frame movement. There is still a spring interface between the tires and the trailer frame, so how will the X chocks prevent any movement? Chocks are for preventing rolling movement, and now I hear X chocks can't be used for chocks. Frankly, this is a WTH moment for me.

When the OneStep chocks are adjusted and applied properly, there is no rolling movement, period. They work great (as chocks), in my experience.

You want to stop trailer frame movement on the springs? Use SteadyFast Stabilizers.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:51 PM   #17
CWSWine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
I don't get that the X chocks stop trailer frame movement. There is still a spring interface between the tires and the trailer frame, so how will the X chocks prevent any movement? Chocks are for preventing rolling movement, and now I hear X chocks can't be used for chocks. Frankly, this is a WTH moment for me.

When the OneStep chocks are adjusted and applied properly, there is no rolling movement, period. They work great (as chocks), in my experience.

You want to stop trailer frame movement on the springs? Use SteadyFast Stabilizers.
X2 - I agree....
Old 03-08-2016, 06:16 AM   #18
Mike484

At less than half the price of the SteadyFast, possible alternative?

http://norcoind.com/bal/products/con.../lockarm.shtml

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500

Old 03-08-2016, 06:34 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

x3, I also agree. You'll never get a trailer that feels "as solid as a slab built house"...

If you've ever seen a "flatbed 18 wheeler trailer" when it's empty, there's a "curve" to the bed. When it's loaded, it's flat. That "arch" is engineered into the frame to help it support more load with lighter frame members. It's not "rigid" but "springs" when loaded. The load is supported by the suspension in the front and rear, so the frame "arches up in the middle".

Travel trailers use the same "frame technology" to achieve load bearing with lighter frame members, but the trailer is supported in the middle, so the frame "arches down in the middle" so that when loaded, it is more or less "flat". The suspension is in the middle, so that's where weight is applied to the suspension.

Any RV trailer, when "stabilized" at both ends, will eliminate most (but not all) "tipping" movement, lateral movement and roll movement at the ends of the frame, but will still have the "spring action" of the suspension (up and down movement) in play. X-Chocks work the same as "conventional chocks" to reduce the "fore/aft" or "tire rolling" type of movement, but neither type of chock can stop the "up/down" movement of the suspension. X-Chocks do help eliminate the "rolling" (fore/aft) movement and that will reduce the "movement felt inside the trailer" but it will not stop the "up/down" movement. So, some improvement is achieved, by eliminating a part of the movement felt inside.

Steadyfast systems (there are three companies that market similar systems) will help reduce all motion (except the spring action "up/down") effectively. Installing that type of stabilization system is usually all that's necessary for most of us to be "satisfied". But, even with a Steadyfast system, if you stand over the axles and jump up and down, you'll get "spring bounce" that is sensed as "movement inside the trailer"...

The only way I know to completely eliminate movement (a level of stability most of us don't need) is to chock the tires tightly, use a Steadyfast type of stabilization system and place "jack stands" or "vertical stabilizers" immediately in front of or immediately behind the axles. The jack stands will remove the "spring bounce" of the suspension.

Even with all these "extreme actions" you'll still experience some "minimal" spring action from the negative arch that's built into the frame rails.

X-Chocks won't stop suspension movement in the "up/down" axis, they can only minimize "roll" or "fore/aft" movement when used in conjunction with rear stabilizer jacks and front "landing gear" or "tongue jack" to help stabilize the ends of the trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:20 AM   #20
Mike484

I really dont understand your "up and down" movement being much of a problem. Isn't that what the stablizer jacks are for? How do you get enough up and down movement that is annoying when the stabilizer jacks are firmly installed? I do understand that putting jackstands in the middle will help, but is it enough to be worth worrying about?.

I'm assuming that when people claim the X-Chocks take out movement, that when the fore and aft movement is removed, they think movement has stopped. Which in most cases I would think is the most movement there is, followed by side X side, then up and down the least problematic.

I could be very wrong in my thinking, but, I see it as (%'s for example):
Fore and Aft movement -50%
Side By Side movement - 30%
Up and Down Movement - 20%

So, if you can remove fore and aft, you have vitually removed 50% of the movement, thus, making people believe that the X-Chocks eliminated movement.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500