Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2015, 05:11 PM   #1
rparte

Angry Backup Camera System

We just purchased a 2015 Montana 3790RD. We traded in our 2011 Montana 3615RE. Two of the features on the 2015, that I was most excited about, are the 6 point hydraulic leveling system, and the rear view camera.
When I took delivery of our new Montana, I learned that the rear view camera installed is a Furrion model FRC12TA-BL. It is said to have a range of up to 100 feet.
However, I found that with the length of the trailer being 41 1/2 feet, plus about another 10 feet to the cab of my pickup, the signal will not reach the monitor in my truck.
Has anyone else had this problem? I don't understand why Keystone would install a camera system that is basically useless. If I plug the monitor into the 12 volt outlet in the front storage compartment, then it receives a signal. However, the signal is erratic. It constantly goes from a strong signal, to no signal at all.
If anyone out there has similar issues, please let me know, and what you would suggest I do.
The RV is still under full warranty, as we just purchased it 2 weeks ago. I have informed the dealership (Camping World) of this problem, but have not back from them as to what they plan to do about it.

Hello to all you fellow campers and RV'ers!
Bob & Pat from Southwest Virginia
2015 Montana 3790RD
2011 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 w/Duramax Diesel
rparte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:48 PM   #2
Barbell

I installed a rear view camera in our '14 Montana. Had to run about 40 ft of cable from the camera on the rear bike rack to the front compartment where the receiver is mounted. It is within less than 20 feet of the monitor and the picture is good enough to see what is behind me but far from perfect. I suspect you will have to do the same unless you can convince the dealer to do it.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:47 PM   #3
GaryWT

To the best of my knowledge 41.5 + 10 is less than 100 feet. Now does it say un-obstructed or not for that 100 feet. I would think someone has some fixing to do, good luck.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:29 AM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

That has been my experience with wireless stuff, documented as 100-200 feet range and if it works at say 30-40 feet pulling your rig, TAKE IT AND RUN. I assume most of these are analog versus Digital , Digital I would expect better results.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:50 PM   #5
homer3

My son has a wireless as well. Basically I think it is a transceiver/receiver issue. We moved the receiver to the rear of the trailer just under the trailer close to the rear bumper. From there the receiver we basically hard wired the system with a RCA connector at the same junctions as the 7-pin connector and then into the cab. His works fine. As I said I believe it is a transceiver/receiver issue. I don't feel that distance should between the two works as advertised.

John
Now Retired (At Last) Long Time Coming
Soon to be retired after 41 years with DOD
2006 Duramax Silverado 2500HD
2013 327 RES Cougar
homer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:52 PM   #6
homer3

You can read other responses to this problem by using the search button and queering "cameras".

John
Now Retired (At Last) Long Time Coming
Soon to be retired after 41 years with DOD
2006 Duramax Silverado 2500HD
2013 327 RES Cougar
homer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:16 PM   #7
Spacetrucker

My garmin was put up in front of the nose. Just laying up their. Look for a cut in the front close it. A plate put in then feel around for the wires. I hand to get a 10 ex cable from garmin then ran the wiry to the fro of the fith wheel and pulled the where my hook up light was under by the front hich. Works great now. Fits great right the the light. Then seal up around the holeWill try to post Monday for you my set up.
Spacetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:46 AM   #8
SchafferFamily

Check and see that your Bluetooth is turned off in the vehicle (if equipped) or on your phone. Depending on the signal of the unit you may get interference that way. I have a different camera system with our popup that operates on BT wireless and had issues with that.

The manual does state for travel trailers and 5th wheels 30' in length, and a clear line of sight use of >100', so I'd look at other areas to see where your issue resides. Can you have the receiver unit in another vehicle and drive up behind and beside the trailer with the cameras on to test the clarity and range?

Maybe go with the one stated for trailers over 30 feet in length? FOS48TA-BL Can you exchange or upgrade?

2004 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
2016 Passport 217exp
SchafferFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:38 PM   #9
emilyrodrix

I came across Tadi Brothers website, thinking of buying this one:http://www.tadibrothers.com/Catalog/...-Backup-Camera

My only concern is Im located in Canada and we have hard weather conditions in winter . Do you guys think these cameras are ok for snowy weather conditions?

I wonder if the cameras come along with a snow/rain protection cover .
emilyrodrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:37 PM   #10
2Savages

Question Furrion Backup Camera

I've looked through many of the camera threads and need some basic 101 info on the Furrion FRC 12TA-BL Backup Camera installed on the 2016 Montana. I have not been able to get it to turn on or pair up since the initial trip home. I can not tell if it is receiving power such as a small red LED light being on. I believe the camera should receive power when the truck's driving lights are on and/or the gear in Reverse mode (engine running or not running). The small jack is difficult to test behind the camera. Does Keystone run the wiring in the ceiling towards the front or does it drop down to a back-up light for it's power source? Is there a point in the front of the 5er where I can check for voltage coming from the 7 pin connector? All my lights work fine to include the back-ups. Any tips on troubleshooting? The dealer wants it scheduled for a technician to look at it and we are off on own excursion in a few weeks. Thanks.
2Savages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:09 PM   #11
cw3jason

If it's like mine and many others. It was wired wrong and will be powered on all the time. Verify by led light. This burns the camera out and it will not work as it was not designed for continuous power. I had it replaced under warranty and the second one burned out after 6 months. Called Furrion and upgraded to the rear observation camera. Fits in same mount, but comes with a screen that has an antenna also. This is good for 100 ft. And can be on all the time. Hope that helps.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:59 PM   #12
Lkha

I have been working on mine for a year and a half good luck
4th; 1999 35' Windsong by Forest River
Current;2015 fuzion 403 Chrome
15 Tri Glide in the box

RET US ARMY
PRG RIDE CAPTAIN
Lkha is offline   Reply With Quote