Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2014, 03:44 PM   #1
EdB

Over Drive

Hello All,

I have a 2004 F 250 Crew Cab. I have heard different suggestions about towing with the over drive on/off. What are your suggestions and why.

Ed
EdB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:11 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Unless it's hunting (shifting up and down) leave it in O/D. That's the advise of a Ford Transmission Engineer. His name is Mark Kovalsky and he's a moderator on a ford truck forum called The Diesel Stop.

I towed 8511 miles in '09 and only canceled O/D when I had to for a grade.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:12 PM   #3
smokeater

I have an 09 Expy with a 5.4. I use the tow/haul mode whenever I tow. The tranny doesn't shift up and down as much and I don't notice much difference in gas mileage. (I used to use overdrive because I thought it would give me better gas mileage) Hope this helps
smokeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:22 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

O/D cancel and tow/haul mode are different. O/D cancel keeps it from shifting into overdrive. Tow/haul mode changes the shifting "strategy" of the transmission.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:28 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

The 2004 F250 Owner's Manual can be downloaded here: https://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conte...OwnerGuidePage

You didn't indicate if you have a gas engine or a diesel engine. The operation is essentially the same, except the "OD" for the 4 speed gas engine transmission illuminates an "OD" light on the dash while the 5 speed diesel transmission illuminates a "tow/haul" light on the dash.

Here are the quotes from the manual for each transmission:

GAS ENGINE: Drive is activated when the transmission control switch is pressed. • This position allows for all forward gears except overdrive. • O/D OFF lamp is illuminated. • Provides engine braking. • Use when driving conditions cause excessive shifting from O/D to other gears. Examples: city traffic, hilly terrain, heavy loads, trailer towing and when engine braking is required. • To return to O/D (overdrive mode), press the transmission control switch. The O/D OFF lamp will not be illuminated.

DIESEL ENGINE: Drive is activated when the transmission control switch is pressed. • This position allows for all forward gears except overdrive. • O/D OFF lamp is illuminated. • Provides engine braking. • Use when driving conditions cause excessive shifting from O/D to other gears. Examples: city traffic, hilly terrain, heavy loads, trailer towing and when engine braking is required. • To return to O/D (overdrive mode), press the transmission control switch. The O/D OFF lamp will not be illuminated.

It was explained to me just as Chuckster57 indicated. If the transmission is downshifting frequently, turn off the OD. Otherwise, leave the transmission in overdrive.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:46 PM   #6
notanlines

355k on a '01 F250 w/v10. Engine has had no work except the famous Ford spark plug blowing from the cylinder head. Transmission is a Jasper put in at 270K. We towed a 12000 lb Fountain Lightening power boat/trailer thousands of miles and NEVER used the overdrive lockout. Only used it like the Chuckster said if it seems to be shifting up and down too often.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 05:27 PM   #7
wahoonc

I keep an eye on the tach, when the torque converter unlocks when in OD it is time to turn it off. I tow with a 2003 F150 and a 1996 F350 PSD. Same rule for both trucks.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 05:46 PM   #8
GaryWT

I just hit the tow button and go. Have forgotten from time to time with no issues.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:15 PM   #9
Hercules1978

On my 2011 Silverado I use tow/haul and lock out 6th. I probably don't NEED to, but I'd rather have the extra torque just in case
Hercules1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:57 PM   #10
hankaye

EdB, Howdy;

I also have a 2004 F-250 with a 6.0L diesel, have towed both ways,
no real difference, maybe a mile or two on fuel mileage, but that can
go either way due to foot weight and terrain. Most times I'll start in
tow/haul then after I get to hiway speed I'll hit the button and change
it over to regular. All it does is change the shift points and cuts out the
overdrive and allows for engine braking as was mentioned earlier. Use it wisely, it's your friend.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:55 AM   #11
Desert185

I remember that button pushing. Now, its old-school tach and stick for me. Seems to agree with me.

All automatics should be Allisons, but unfortunately...
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:48 PM   #12
audio1der

^ I used to agree, but the new Aisin's are really nice. Still, a Cummins/Allison combo would be killer!

I ALWAYS use tow/haul mode which locks out O/D. It's there, we're towing, why not? I do also use cruise control on the flats if traffic and conditions permit.
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 05:50 AM   #13
Desert185

Yep. On the flats, cruise control and OD if the shifting isn't constant. The shifting causes heat and wear. FWIW. the Allison just always seems to be in the correct gear.

I have a buddy who used to tow a Case 580 backhoe with a GMC/Allison 2500. It was way overweight, especially in the mountains, but he luckily "pulled it off" successfully (pun intended). No OD for him.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:21 PM   #14
ljp

Is there much difference between "cruise control" and the "tow/haul" option?

While towing our '12 Keystone Passport with an '01 Tahoe using "cruise control" the engine would have a significant increase in RPM. As I recall it would usually increase 700-800 RPM+. I would shut off "cruise control" as I feared there was too much pressure being placed on the engine.

With "cruise control" off I can steadily increase the RPM as needed without any immediate/significant increase of pressure on the engine. Does the "tow/haul" option allow a gradual increase in RPM?
ljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:13 AM   #15
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljp View Post
Is there much difference between "cruise control" and the "tow/haul" option?

While towing our '12 Keystone Passport with an '01 Tahoe using "cruise control" the engine would have a significant increase in RPM. As I recall it would usually increase 700-800 RPM+. I would shut off "cruise control" as I feared there was too much pressure being placed on the engine.

With "cruise control" off I can steadily increase the RPM as needed without any immediate/significant increase of pressure on the engine. Does the "tow/haul" option allow a gradual increase in RPM?
Big difference between cruise and TH. Cruise is simply to keep you at one speed and does not change any of the tranny parameters. Just saves you from using your right foot. It sounds like your torque converter was unlocking with cruise on, which should not happen.

I have an Allison tranny so my T/H mode makes a big difference in how the tranny works. Locks up the torque converter much sooner, and in lower gears. Also changes the shift point up ~500 rpm or so. Probably increases line pressure as the shifts are a bit harsher, which is easier on the tranny.

And I don't know what you mean by "pressure on the engine".

But they are two very different things. Not really related at all.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:04 AM   #16
ljp

When stating "pressure on the engine" I'm referring to the rapid increase in RPM for what seems to be too long a time and I suspect could cause damage to the engine. By just working the accelerator I can keep a steady, and slower, increase in RPM as needed.
ljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:41 AM   #17
Desert185

If you leave the auto in Drive, it is essentially impossible to harm an engine if all components are working as advertised and all engine indications are "in the green". The only issue might be constant downshifting and upshifting, and that would harm the trans, not the engine. That's when manually selecting a gear or tow/haul mode might be more preferable.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:15 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljp View Post
When stating "pressure on the engine" I'm referring to the rapid increase in RPM for what seems to be too long a time and I suspect could cause damage to the engine. By just working the accelerator I can keep a steady, and slower, increase in RPM as needed.
The original "cruise controls" were a throttle lever that positioned the accelerator linkage at the carburetor. Later types were a vacuum operated chain system that pulled the accelerator linkage to keep it open at close to the set position. Current electronic systems monitor everything from spark advance to engine speed/vehicle speed and adjust the operating system appropriately. The "weak link" remains the ability to "finesse" the system. There 's a lot to be said about the "human foot's ability" to respond to slight, minimal changes much better than the computer model.

That's why most "good, alert" drivers can get better fuel mileage than the cruise control. There's something to be said about driving with the image of "an egg between your foot and the accelerator pedal"....

Even today's cruise control systems just "don't get it" when finesse is needed. They act more like a "one size fits all" system of pulling the throttle open or closing it down in response to input. That gives the impression of the engine overspeeding on acceleration that you describe in your post. But as for engine damage, the computer limits RPM and speed such that it would be very unlikely that you'd damage your engine by using the cruise control in most operating environments.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:01 PM   #19
denverpilot

I just depress the clutch and shift from sixth to fifth. If I'm feeling saucy I'll goose the throttle a bit to match revs to be nice to my synchros.

But then again, I have a manual tranny.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:12 AM   #20
Hansel

I tow in O.D. but if it starts hunting between gears then I will take it out of O.D. but that doesn't happen very often with my new tow tunes the extra power keeps it in O.D.
2003 F-350 CCDRW 2X4 7.3L Powerstroke
Hansel is offline   Reply With Quote