Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2014, 08:10 PM   #1
Donkey teeth

Screen door causing main door to stick

We have an Outback 210rs. The screen door has an up and down handle to open, and the main door has the standard paddle latch. The screen hooks to the main door and when it's shut tight. The screen door will latch to the strike plate to prevent the screen door from opening, and it makes the outside door "stick". If I pull hard enough the main door will open but the screen stays closed. I am afraid at some point something is going to give. The latch on the screen is plastic.
If I shut the door gently, it seems to be ok. If the 6 year old shuts(slams) the door, that is when it occurs. Not sure if it is supposed to do that or what.
Has anyone else had this happen?
Donkey teeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:25 PM   #2
homer3

sounds like your rig is not leveled right. the doors will stick if not properly leveled front to back and side to side, as well the younger one tend to hang (pull down) on the doors when trying to open. not their fault its just a height issue with them, used to have the same problem with my grandson. goodluck

John
Now Retired (At Last) Long Time Coming
Soon to be retired after 41 years with DOD
2006 Duramax Silverado 2500HD
2013 327 RES Cougar
homer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:57 AM   #3
Murphsmom

We had that problem last year, too. Thought it was not level and checked very carefully. It turned out that the latch for the screen was out of adjustment and had loosened up. The main door was hanging up because of that.
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:12 AM   #4
cdawrld

I agree with Murphsmom. Mine did it also. I adjusted the screen door catch on the frame inwards so it did not catch when screen door is attached to solid door. It does latch when closed separate.
cdawrld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:20 PM   #5
Wantoride

I had the same problem on my passport 23rb. I adjusted the latch for the screen door, just watch as you open how the mechanisms work and you'll figure it out
Old 04-17-2014, 05:15 PM   #6
tenn321

My 2014 did the same thing ,Just adjust the two screws that hold the screen door handle.up or down what ever way it needs to go.Go a head you can do it
tenn321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:16 PM   #7
Donkey teeth

Thanks everyone for the reply's. I will make the adjustment tomorrow!
Old 04-21-2014, 04:21 AM   #8
{tpc}

I think mine is doing something like this but not exactly the same.

Mine closes when you close it, and it appears to be shut as pushing on it doesn't open it back up. But when its like this, the main door handle has a lot of play...like its just flopping. When you pull it it will open however.

If you basically slam it, it will shut all the way and you can tell because the handle doesn't have the play anymore and it will be tight. So something isn't aligned just right.

I don't like the idea of slamming the door, because A. its brand new, B. you shouldn't have to (see A, lol), and C. its going to be annoying to my campground neighbors I am sure.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:46 AM   #9
Ron

If adjusting the latch on the screen door does not work, check to see if the screen door is rubbing the door frame at the bottom, we tend to pull down on the screen door when we open it up by itself when entering the trailer as we try and balance ourselves on the steps and step sideways and also reach for the grab handle on the opposite side of the door. If the screen door is rubbing at the bottom, just pull up and spring the hinges back .....
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:04 PM   #10
Donkey teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
I think mine is doing something like this but not exactly the same.

Mine closes when you close it, and it appears to be shut as pushing on it doesn't open it back up. But when its like this, the main door handle has a lot of play...like its just flopping. When you pull it it will open however.

If you basically slam it, it will shut all the way and you can tell because the handle doesn't have the play anymore and it will be tight. So something isn't aligned just right.

I don't like the idea of slamming the door, because A. its brand new, B. you shouldn't have to (see A, lol), and C. its going to be annoying to my campground neighbors I am sure.
When I adjusted the strike plate for the screen door, I noticed that I could also adjust the main door strike plate. You might look to see if you also can adjust your main door strike plate. Perhaps it is just out of alignment there.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:09 AM   #11
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey teeth View Post
When I adjusted the strike plate for the screen door, I noticed that I could also adjust the main door strike plate. You might look to see if you also can adjust your main door strike plate. Perhaps it is just out of alignment there.
I don't think it has anything to do with the screen door but I haven't had time to take a close look at it.

I did look at it a little this weekend. What it seems like to me is that the main door latch contacts the strike plate....its just really tight. So at times it will be closed and the latch is behind the strike plate but only a little, not fully extended into the opening. Its latched and can't be pushed or pulled open but its not 100% into the strike plate area.

I'm of the mind that I should just let it "break in" as im sure that opening and closing of the door will naturally shave that strike plate or the plate around door latch down to where it opens and closes easily. Still it is annoying.

Everything seems lined up however, and nothing looks loose. Trailer was level. But aside from removing the strike plate and sanding it down with something, I don't see any way to adjust that.