Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2014, 01:08 PM   #1
Pmedic4

Safety and Security with RV Locks?

We recently lost one of our sets of keys to our RV, and I contacted the dealer about getting a new set of keys. The person was very helpful , almost too helpful. He said yes, we can get those keys, and it would take about a week, but then he said, you can go to "RVLocksandmore.com", and order the keys yourself.
My first thought was, well isn't there any validation of the model and the keys I have? Thanked the guy, and went to the website, and as he described, there were the keys for our RV, for $2.75. Codes for all common keys are listed right there, so whatever key (Fastec or GLobal Link), for any code I want, is right there for the ordering. Better yet, for $70, I could order an entire set of all keys for probably about 80% of the RVs on the market. So then you start thinking....
How secure is our RV? Yes, it would be real easy to break into most RV's without great difficulty, probably lots of damage, but hey, it's not mine so who cares!
The question is, does this bother anyone else. I've always known there are only a few unique locksets for RVs, but the ease to obtain the keys is much worse than I could imagine.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:13 PM   #2
Bluewater

A new set of keys can be made in minute for your car or truck by just the vin in the windshield so this security thing has been bs for some time. Sad to say.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:32 PM   #3
dwyleecoyote

You could probably install a better deadbolt. We had one on our Jayco that looked exactly like a house deadbolt. Even had the normal looking house key.
dwyleecoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:43 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Yup, take the VIN to a car dealership and they can make you a replacement key (but it won't be chipped to start the vehicle). Most dealerships want the registration so you can prove you're really the owner, but all it takes is knowing the parts guy or the janitor or ??? to get a key to unlock the doors.

Thankfully it takes a computer program reset to unlock the chip/starting interlocks so a thief could "drive away"..... of course that can be bypassed with "lots of damage" and as stated, to the thief, "who cares about damage"......

Until the recent advent of "slam lock doors" on RV's. almost every outside access door used the same key industry wide. So if you have a CH751 key to unlock your access doors, you can get into nearly every RV in the campground. And if like many, the storage compartment also has inside access, you're into the interior as soon as you open the storage compartment door, crawl in and push up on the dinette seat or bed platform.

Security is, for the most part, a "frame of mind" more than a "real safety measure".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:48 PM   #5
DieselMatt

Perhaps this is just my false sense of security, but I feel comfortable at the campsites I have been to in regard to people breaking in to my trailer. Granted, I still lock everything, but I also have no fear of taking a bike ride down the road and leaving it unlocked. I'm sure that my feelings would vary based on the campsite though.

TV - 2006 F250
TH - 2008 Fuzion 362

DieselMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:57 PM   #6
Chipsahoy

There are only a few sets of keys for all RV's. On one occasion, we left home and drove for about 4 hours before stopping for the night. During set up I realized I had left the keys to the fifth wheel on the kitchen counter at home!! A few camp sites over people were sitting out in thier chairs so I walked over and asked if I could borrow thier keys. They looked at me like I was nuts. They were even more astonished when thier keys opened the door. Didn't lock up the remainder of the trip and never had an issue! Only way to truly secure is to add a deadbolt or hasp and lock. I don't worry about it too much. A real thief will get in no matter what you do.
Chipsahoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:05 PM   #7
f6bits

I've replaced all my locks. *Especially* the storage locks since they're all the same key. The door lock is uniquely keyed. I don't want to make it *too* easy for someone to break in.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:53 PM   #8
GaryWT

Goes back to the old saying, locks only keep the honest, honest. We generally do not lock the doors unless we are going to bed or going traveling for an entire day. There is not much in there that anyone would want.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:06 PM   #9
dandjh1958

+1 with GaryWT. I camp by myself a lot and I figure if they want whats in my trailer, they can have it. I only lock at night and if I go out and about for the day. DH says my safety first, the trailer can be replaced.

One key works for both doors and our storage latches have the same key as our popup trailer latches.
We are lazy.....

Happy Camping!!
Julie (and Don)
dandjh1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:49 PM   #10
TandE

I lock my trailer when I'm away and sleeping in it. It doesn't bother me that it is easy to get a key to open it as I don't have much of value in it. I do however wish my cooler had a lock on it to keep the pesky teenagers from stealing my adult beverages though.....

Travis
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:17 PM   #11
Bluewater

Last fall I was adjusting the striker plate on my door for a better fit and was shocked when I remover the screws. They just went thru the striker and maybe 3/16 of an inch into the wood. Why in the world would Keystone use such short screws to anchor all the locking? A hard pull on the door handle would have easily pulled the screws out. Not any more...I put in some 1 1/2" long hoping they hold. Maybe those screws cost a penny more.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:49 PM   #12
Ken / Claudia

Unless you are willing to pay hundreds more for better locks, doors, keys that is what we have. I am not concerned. Even with better locks and keys, a 20 dollar pry bar will get any crook inside, fast and cause hundreds or higher cost to repair.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:11 PM   #13
hankpage
Site Team

Many of us on this forum say that "Google is your friend". Well, search for "Bump Key" or the name of any lock you may have on your home and you may be surprised how many videos on you-tube you will find on how to open the locks on your home. (most of the videos are made by teenagers with too much time on their hands) As mentioned, locks only keep honest folks out. A heavy screw driver or small pry-bar can open a RV door faster than the key and with little noise. The truth is the best security lock is a Rottweiler and some of them become big pussy-cats when they smell a tasty treat.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:10 PM   #14
denverpilot

Most locks only keep the honest out on most things. The CH751 is used on a LOT more things than RVs. Some of the keys used on some of the gear I work on in telecom and radio infrastructure projects haven't changed in my lifetime. Same key everywhere. It's not even a secret.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:08 AM   #15
SAABDOCTOR

REMEMBER LOCKS ARE FOR HONEST PEOPLE! THE 1911 IS FOR THE STOPpING THE BAD GUY! John is right that dealers ask for a registration before cutting a key. and the newer systems on the cars require the car be present to "code" the new key. my Saab and Volvo scaners require a security access before i can program keys. Again it keeps the honest ones out. the thief will just tow the car away and chop it for parts.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:35 AM   #16
limey

On a LOT of RVs, the door locks are immaterial. Our Montana was broken into in the "secure" storage facility it was in. They got in through the storage access. Yes, it was locked, but even when locked, the latch is spring loaded. The storage doors on the Montana have two locks - the thieves simply pushed the latches up using something flexible (a credit card will work), then removed the laundry hamper and entered the RV through the floor hatch! They stole the TV and DVD player (breaking it in the process). They obviously knew what they were doing and broke into several RVs that night.

Upside - Progressive had a check in my hand for replacements within three days and there was no structural damage. Others were not so lucky with broken cabinetry and a missing catalytic converter on a newish class A!

Eric & Mary (& George)
Montana 3150RL
Dodge RAM 2500, Cummins
Pentwater, Michigan
limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:43 AM   #17
Ken / Claudia

As a auto theft Det. I had a case that would be written into a story. But, point is 17 year old car theft ran a chop shop. He stole all high dollar vehicles. He could disable a Lexus alarms and tow them away from the owners driveway. He got 6 in PDX. Those keys at that time were 275 and up, lazer cut and done be dealers only. As a informat, he taught my auto theft unit how it could be done.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:39 PM   #18
rschad

I have a vantage 29rls. It has two doors and a locking cover on the font window that raises up when open. They each lock and are all keyed differently. So with 3 different keys does that mean I can open most keystone trailers?
rschad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:44 PM   #19
SAABDOCTOR

are we plannig something?
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:45 PM   #20
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschad View Post
I have a vantage 29rls. It has two doors and a locking cover on the font window that raises up when open. They each lock and are all keyed differently. So with 3 different keys does that mean I can open most keystone trailers?
We are not talking only Keystone ....... just about ALL trailers use the same locks.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote