Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
PSITracy

2004 Montana 2980RL with 2013 GMC 2500HD

We have a 2013 GMC 2500HD with a 6.5 ft bed. We will be towing a 2004 Montana 2980RL. There are no cutouts on the trailer. I don't know what to expect on turning radius/deg with the slider in tow position, should I have it in the maneuver position in town and tow on the freeway ?
PSITracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Our Springdale had a "square" front. We had a 6.5' bed and a conventional hitch. I could get to about 75 degrees with no problem... I never was in a situation where I needed to use a slider hitch.

For your peace of mind, I'd suggest hitching up, finding an empty flat area (mall parking lot, etc, and get yourself into a turn with someone watching the trailer/cab closely. See how much of an angle you can get into before you are "uncomfortably close" to the cab. Remember that angle will change a little if you're not on a flat surface, but at least then you'll know about how far you can go before you have to worry.

A general rule of thumb: Basic maneuvering can be done with the hitch in the travel position. That includes almost all city driving, basic towing, turns into gas stations, etc. You should not need to slide the hitch rearward for general towing. Once you know how close you can turn, you'll feel much more confident.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
PSITracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Our Springdale had a "square" front. We had a 6.5' bed and a conventional hitch. I could get to about 75 degrees with no problem... I never was in a situation where I needed to use a slider hitch.

For your peace of mind, I'd suggest hitching up, finding an empty flat area (mall parking lot, etc, and get yourself into a turn with someone watching the trailer/cab closely. See how much of an angle you can get into before you are "uncomfortably close" to the cab. Remember that angle will change a little if you're not on a flat surface, but at least then you'll know about how far you can go before you have to worry.

A general rule of thumb: Basic maneuvering can be done with the hitch in the travel position. That includes almost all city driving, basic towing, turns into gas stations, etc. You should not need to slide the hitch rearward for general towing. Once you know how close you can turn, you'll feel much more confident.
Thanks a million for the info and advice. Everyone here seems to be really nice and have been a great help to a newbie like myself. Ive got a lot of learning to do.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

One other thing to consider .......

If you have the hitch in the maneuvering position and leave it there while towing on the highway, you should realize that the pin is now centered about 6 inches or so behind the axles - not an ideal position for towing.

If your hitch is positioned correctly, the pin should sit very slightly ahead of the rear axle when in the towing mode.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:56 AM   #5
PSITracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
One other thing to consider .......

If you have the hitch in the maneuvering position and leave it there while towing on the highway, you should realize that the pin is now centered about 6 inches or so behind the axles - not an ideal position for towing.

If your hitch is positioned correctly, the pin should sit very slightly ahead of the rear axle when in the towing mode.
Thank you festus. I was just reading so many different views on slider/no slider. Manual slider/auto slider, Extended hitch pin boxes, on and on.

We got a Husky silver 16K manual slider as part of our deal when we purchased our trailer. I wanted to make sure we didn't need something different especially for a newbie like myself.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:04 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Hitches are like trucks and floorplans: Everyone has their own idea about what is "best".... Almost all fifth wheel hitches are "functionally efficient" to tow a fifth wheel (within its weight category). There are different "features" associated with different models of hitches and that's where the "preferences" come into play.

You'll be just fine with the Husky hitch as long as it operates correctly and you follow the directions for hitching, unhitching and always make sure you do a "hitch check" before you raise the landing gear.

I think that like almost all of us, you'll seldom (if ever) use the slide feature of your hitch. For some (especially a novice who isn't sure) having the "extra insurance" that a slide hitch provides is a comfort. Once you get familiar with your rig, know how far you can angle it when backing and maneuvering, and have the experience of actually operating the rig, you'll feel much more comfortable than you do now.

Two things to consider: Never NEVER skip the "Hitch check" and always remember to watch the front of the trailer and the top of the trailer (as well as the back) when maneuvering around a campsite or other "close quarters" kinds of backing.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-03-2013, 06:58 AM   #7
sdetweil

Quote:

Two things to consider: Never NEVER skip the "Hitch check" and always remember to watch the front of the trailer and the top of the trailer (as well as the back) when maneuvering around a campsite or other "close quarters" kinds of backing.

that Top of the trailer is hard to remember til you hit something!!..
and it can happen anywhere.. (I have some beautiful trees nearby that I am no longer fond of).
Old 10-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #8
Pmedic4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdetweil View Post
that Top of the trailer is hard to remember til you hit something!!..
and it can happen anywhere.. (I have some beautiful trees nearby that I am no longer fond of).
I agree wholeheartedly with that statement. Use to love the beautiful old Oak trees hanging over the road in my neighborhood - BFW (before fifth wheel). Now they're an obstacle course waiting to catch me off-guard.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #9
sdetweil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmedic4 View Post
..Now they're an obstacle course waiting to catch me off-guard.
already caught me.. insurance guy coming today.. 3 days since I picked up the unit. fun!... turns out there is only ONE way into our sub, my property where there is not a low tree lurking..
Old 10-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #10
PSITracy

Quote:
Hitches are like trucks and floorplans: Everyone has their own idea about what is "best".... Almost all fifth wheel hitches are "functionally efficient" to tow a fifth wheel (within its weight category). There are different "features" associated with different models of hitches and that's where the "preferences" come into play.

You'll be just fine with the Husky hitch as long as it operates correctly and you follow the directions for hitching, unhitching and always make sure you do a "hitch check" before you raise the landing gear.

I think that like almost all of us, you'll seldom (if ever) use the slide feature of your hitch. For some (especially a novice who isn't sure) having the "extra insurance" that a slide hitch provides is a comfort. Once you get familiar with your rig, know how far you can angle it when backing and maneuvering, and have the experience of actually operating the rig, you'll feel much more comfortable than you do now.

Well, first off, That's what my concern was was turning capability with a short bed in town. I think the advice is solid to find an empty parking lot set up some cones and try it out.

As far as watching the front of the trailer and top of the trailer in campsites etc, do you suggest someone outside with radio communication/cell phone etc ???
Old 10-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

I suppose someone outside with a radio or cell phone would work.... My DW is loud enough that I can hear her over jet engines running, so for us, if I get close to anything, the whole campground will know LOL

But to answer your question. YES !!!! If you have someone to help you then by all means have some sort of communication even if it's just a loud voice. If you're alone without help, then don't be afraid to get out of your truck, walk the area, back a few feet, walk it again and repeat until you're positioned. Don't fall prey to that old, "I can do it in one shot" mistake. Many have tried, and even a few have succeeded. But there's always that one branch, or one stump, or one power pole, or one water faucet, or one fire ring, or one picnic table, or one bush, or one..... You get the idea.....

Take your time, go slowly, know what is behind you and on top of you, forget about the crowd of people who will gather to watch a "noobie" and enjoy the experience. After all, you'll be doing it EVERY TIME you go camping, might as well make it a "happy time" LOL

As for using the slide feature of your hitch in "normal city traffic" Most people with slide hitches have NEVER slid it back, so to answer your question about needing it in city driving, the answer is no, you won't need it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-04-2013, 01:29 AM   #12
dave-g

I have a short bed ford- I find going forward, the truck can not out turn the trailer, to make cab contact. Backing up is where you can really get in trouble. I have only used my slider once in 3 years, not sure if I needed to but had to back up up hill- this made the trailer closer quicker than I like.

Slow and easy wins every time.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #13
Cnc_hemi

I have a 2012 gmc sierra 2500 HD. With the 6.5 foot bed. I have the pullrite super glide. With the super rail bars. It give me 14" of slide and can put my 36' fuzion in any hole. And have no pins to pull are to remember to lock. It slides by it self by a capture plate you mount on your king pin box. I love it!! If you have the standard bars in your bed now it will hook up the same way. I put the super rails in because I can remove them and have a bed with out bars. Only 4 holes. They offer a mounting kit that with simple tools you can install them. And it's a bolt up kit only have to drill holes in bed. I got mine from tweetys.com. They had the best price. And great service. The capture plate you can get one that universal or one that is your box pacific. Check them out.

LSU TIGER FAN
2013 FUZION 310
2012 GMC 2500 HD SIERRA DURAMAX 6.6L
Cnc_hemi is offline   Reply With Quote