Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
Cyncwby

Pete's RV customer service

Long story.....we bought a '13 Mountaineer 295 RKD from Pete's RV in Indiana 2 weeks ago, heard nothing but good things about them and got a great price on the rig. We live in So. Utah so we met the driver in Grand Junction, Colorado last Tues. the 10th .....about 330 miles from our home.

We found damage inside, the long door by the TV was torn completely off it's hinges and laying on the carpet. The small door under the fridge had opened up and when the driver tried to open the slide to look for water (it was raining buckets) the slide caught the door which broke in half and pulled the slide's interior wooden framework out about 1 1/2 inches. It looked like the upper freezer door had also been open as those hinges are bent possibly by the slide as it's not level. The 2 wooden doors were open because the latches weren't adjusted properly to keep them closed.

The main entry door has been changed as there's no decals or door latch and has a mfg. date of 8/14/13. They told me the original decals were scratched up so they took them off and will send me new decals. Waiting to hear the "REAL" story on the door. Also the skirting in the rear pass. side has come out of the rubber rub rail and was collecting water very nicely.

Before we left Grand Junction I called Pete's to advise them of the damage as did the driver to his outfit. We got home later that evening driving through LOTS of rain, the nice thing is the trailer didn't leak a drop, the truck pulled it very well, the Pacbrake worked like a charm on the long wet downgrades, and the Trailer Saver TS3 hitch was everything it's touted to be.

So other than that we like the layout but we didn't hear a thing back from Pete's so I called them Thursday, the salesman Scott O. said he knew nothing about the damage so I sent them pictures ..........now it's Monday and still haven't heard back from them. Going to be interesting to see how they handle these damages, I'll keep you posted.......Dave
Cyncwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:16 AM   #2
chuckretnav

Unhappy Refuse to accept delivery

I would of refused delivery and then got hold of your bank and stop the payment.
chuckretnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:03 AM   #3
thewhitehat

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckretnav View Post
I would of refused delivery and then got hold of your bank and stop the payment.
Yeah, me too!
wife, son, new dog, me

thewhitehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:25 AM   #4
airforceret

I just bought my 2013 Cougar from Pete's a couple weeks ago and will be working with them on warranty issues. They've already received my replacement decals for one's that were scratched while on the lot and have given me the option to have them replaced by them or to be mailed to me and saved for later. Since I didn't even notice the scratches till "they" mentioned it, I'm just having them send me the decals.

If you got one that didn't leak in the rain (regardless of the brand), I'd have kept it too as everything else can be fixed in time under warranty.

Pete's is working with me (and Keystone) to find me somewhere closer to home to have my warranty work done as I bought one of their "summer show" trailers for what I felt was a good price but I'm a couple hours away and that can get to be expensive toting around 12k of camper!

I expect to be hearing back about my issues later today so we'll see how it goes!
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #5
Cyncwby

Thanks for the replys.......... but refuse delivery?? after we drove 330 miles to pick it up ?? uhhhhh no thats not me, I don't give up that easy. These issues can be fixed and I can fix most of them.

Todd from Pete's RV called today and is sending the new lower cabinet door that broke and a new outer latch for the entry door. He did admit that the entry door is new as the orig. got dented but he didn't know how. He said that servise is working on the other problems......keep you posted, Dave
Old 09-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #6
R JOURNY

A Sad Situation for you ......

Cyncwby:

We, too, have bought a 2013 Mountaineer 295 RKD. Picked it up last week about 8 hours from where we are staying. I am sorry about all of you damage. When looking for this model, we had a choice of three different dealers with varying prices. One of them was Pete's RV. This could have been one we were looking at getting. I feel fortunate that we have very few issues with ours, none so far that are bad enough to call the dealer. I cannot imagine our rig with doors torn off and missing decals, etc. Seriously, I feel bad for you, more than words can say. I hope you get all of your issues fixed and will eventually enjoy it as much as we do ours. My wife (and me too) also fell in love with this model, just like your wife. I hope to be talking to you again in the future.

2013 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 295RKD
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4
SRW Crew Cab LOADED
6.7 Cummins DieseL 3:73
R JOURNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:04 AM   #7
airforceret

I did get my call from Alan (from Pete's RV) yesterday before lunch as expected. He got me the names/numbers of 3 places that do Keystone Warranty Repairs within 15 miles of my house. He also made it clear that if I was not satisfied with my choices to keep in touch and he'd work with me to get my panel replaced. So far I'm happy with their service as I have to understand I'm not their only customer!! LOL I do customer service for our company so hopefully that helps me to be a bit more understanding than some....

I did read someone's post about pulling fuse #5 and tried that trick last night and it worked to reset the panel (albeit temporarily) but that is way quicker and easier than shutting down shore power and disconnecting the battery. I'm guessing that's not the preferred Keystone method or I'm sure their tech would of had me do it that way! hahaha

Good luck with your warranty work and maybe we'll see you out on the road!
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:31 AM   #8
thewhitehat

I would not be content at all to accept delivery on a brand new purchase that was heavily damaged. That would be a deal-breaker for me. If, after I had had it for awhile and had the chance to use it, then I discovered things defective about it, only THEN would I seek warranty relief. But a brand new expensive RV delivered broken? FORGET IT! There are other deals out there. That's my hardnosed stance.
wife, son, new dog, me

thewhitehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:45 AM   #9
chris199

Hard to know unless you are in the situation live but I would not take delivery of a new car with tears in interior or damaged body.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:57 AM   #10
campingcpl

We have visit Pete's RV several times over this year and have been talking to them about upgrading to a new 5th wheel. From what we have heard about them and from what we have experienced so far, they seem to be a pretty good dealer to deal with. We have also talked to other people that have bought from them and they have said that they have never had any major issues with them.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #11
Cyncwby

Again thanks for the replys, obviously everyone has there own way of doing things and responding to "issues". The problems we had were not "deal breakers", when I first looked at them I knew I could fix them and knew that a new door could be shipped.

So we have it home, I've already fixed and re-attached the long door .... with longer screws and fixed the slide.....which took a little time but it looks good as new. Next is working on the upper fridge door hinges, I'm retired and have the time, there's no way in the world I'm taking it to a dealer's lot and leaving it for weeks on end only to have it come back worse than when I left it.

I'll see if I can post some pictures here so you guys can see.......keep you posted, Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0471.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	4169   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0472.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	4170   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0476.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	4171   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0479.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	4172   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0480.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	4173  

Old 09-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #12
Cyncwby

Here's some new pictures of the repairs....so far and the rig just made it by 3 inches under our overhead by the front door....much easier to work on it there for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0485.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	4174   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0484.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	4175   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0482.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	4176  
Old 09-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #13
On_THE_ROAD_AGAIN

Problems..what problems?

Hello everyone..we too just bought a new 295rkd Mountaineer and after looking for three years we finally found the one we liked the best. We love the layout and all the roo it has. I am sorry to hear you have had a few small problems with your unit but I agree ..it is not enough to be a deal breaker. Not when you ordered it and had it delivered. To me the issue would be if Pete's ignored the problems. I find it rather interesting that we just about bought from pete's because after all of the research, we found their dealership to have mostly positive things said about it. The fact our local dealer can within 2000.00 changed our mind.. I hope you get it all fixed and ready to use..as for me..I have had mine for a few weks and am still waiting for our first trip with it..
On_THE_ROAD_AGAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #14
brucem26

Without a doubt Pete's is THE best RV dealer I have ever dealt with.

Customer service is great and Alan (Vermont location) is a class act as a service manager. He will get you fixed up.

IMO refusing delivery would have been a very over the top (and frankly knee jerk) reaction to some incidental damage that can be easily repaired.

2104 Montana High Country 318RE
2017 Ford F-250 Diesel
brucem26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #15
pjinthedaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucem26 View Post
Without a doubt Pete's is THE best RV dealer I have ever dealt with.

Customer service is great and Alan (Vermont location) is a class act as a service manager. He will get you fixed up.
X2!!!
Alan has been great to us. Much better than all previous experiences with other dealers & service departments.
pjinthedaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #16
Cyncwby

A little update, we're waiting on the lower fridge cabinet door and entry door latch that is supposed to be on thier way. I spoke to Aaron at the Indy store, asked him since I was doing all the repairs myself and alleviating Pete's AND Keystone from scheduling and paying to have a local dealer (Camping World) fix it all, how would they feel about helping me out with a new set of G rated tires. Aaron said that wasn't his call and that I would have to call the main store and speak with one of the owners.

I can get a new set of Sailun S637's shipped to my house for $800, you would have to believe that the fix at Camping World would cost a helluva lot more than that plus the fact that the new customers would be out of their brand new 5th wheel for probably many, many weeks. I think it's only fair, what do you guys think?

So I spoke with Terry Shepard's (one of the owners) secretary Thursday and told her that I would like to speak with him about my proposal. Of course he wasn't available but she took all my info and said she would leave it on his desk. I asked her to get the pic's I sent Scott O. at the Indy store so Mr. Shepard could see what I had to do. We'll see how this plays out and as usual I will keep you posted on the outcome ..... Dave
Old 09-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #17
Javi

Interested in how all this plays out as I may well be buying a trailer from the Indiana store shortly.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:38 AM   #18
gregrc75

Good luck with your new trailer. I bought from Pete's in VT and I have nothing but good things to say about them as well. They definitly go above and beyond to please the customer.

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD gas
Fairhaven, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #19
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyncwby View Post
Here's some new pictures of the repairs....so far and the rig just made it by 3 inches under our overhead by the front door....much easier to work on it there for now.
Nice RV-port in picture number 3..
Good luck on your repairs.
I have fixed every issue my camper has had except the breaker thing and I go the replacement ones and installed them myself.
I even had an electrical heater fire on my counter top and I just finished that repair once all the parts arrived. If anyone ever has to take your counter top out ask me first. ITS a PITB.. but do-able.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #20
Cyncwby

Does anyone have a picture of the entry door or curb side area of the 295RKD that they could post. Got the 2 - 5' long decals today and need an example as to where they go.....exactly. They also sent the little plastic outside door latch minus the cute little white phillips head screws so thats another trip into town, I guess Pete's forgot this was a new door w/o holes or screws. No phone call from the owner about my proposal......surprise, surprise. Keeping you posted, Dave ...... P.S. thanks about the RV port, not going to stay there for long, but may keep it there during the hard winter. We will build another RV garage in the spring next to the boat garage