Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
Povo

To cover or not to cover

Our 2nd 5ver, a 2014 Cougar 327RES. Never covered our last one but this new one is pretty good size investment. It will be stored throughout the winter in an outdoor storage facility. Central Oregon winters. So, do I invest in a custom cover, which if I'm going to purchase one seems like better to spend a few extra dollars to get one that fits correctly. I know 5vers are made to be outside and dealers don't pull them all inside in winter, but.... Thoughts?

Patrick

Central Oregon
2014 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ram 3500
B&W Companion Hitch
Povo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
gepaine

I stored my 2011 Cougar TT outside, uncovered in the Seattle area for the past two winters and am happy with the results. I clean and treat the rubber roof and wash and wax the outside before it goes in storage and then again when it comes out of storage in the spring. It still looks like new.

I have MaxAir vent covers so I can leave both vents open about 1/4-inch and also do the same with the crank-out window next to the dinette. The inside stays nice and fresh - no mildew - and no rain or snow inside.

Going without a cover works for me!

(The covers are heavy and have to be hauled up on the roof, they may last only 2 or 3 years, have to be dried out and stored over the summer, and can damage a rubber roof if whipped around by the wind.)

2011 Keystone Cougar 24RKS
2007 Cadillac Escalade
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Past Trailer:
Forest River R-POD RP-175
Past Tow Vehicle:
2008 Toyota Sienna
gepaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
theeyres

I lived in Klamath Falls, OR for 40 years and had trailers, 5ers, tent trailers and whatever. I never covered any of them and never had a problem with the exteriors. I read so many horror stories about covers wearing corners, etc., it didn't seem worth it. I had three neighbors that also had RVs and none of them covered theirs with no problems. So...take this for what it's worth.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
fred1609

We have covered ours the last two years and noticed a lot less black streaking...the roof stayed clean and over all the unit was as clean as when I covered it. I will always covcer the rig.
fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:56 AM   #5
TAZ23

This is a question that comes up every year and you will get many opinions about it, so heres mine.
I have never covered my trailers and here in Northern Wisconsin we get lots of snow and bitter cold and we have never had a problem. Most of the folks that I know with campers dont cover them but some do. No one in my limited group has had a problem with it either way. It comes down to personal preference. If I did buy a cover I think I would invest in one the fits right and tight. Good luck and happy camping
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
Jim7411

I purchase an Adco Sunbrella custom cover for our fiver. We're in Northern California, and the rig lives in our driveway. The cover protects against the sun, which can do the worst damage over time, and the bird poop. Yeah, it's heavy, but I can put it on by myself in about 1/2 hour. Tip...don't try it on a windy day! I always wash and wax before covering. I've never had any damage to the trailer due to the cover either. You're right about it being a good-sized investment, so why not protect it?
Jim7411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
Povo

I anticipated a variety of opinions and I know there is no right answer. I think I will go with keeping it clean and waxed and go witout for the time being. Thanks for all the info!

Patrick

Central Oregon
2014 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ram 3500
B&W Companion Hitch
Povo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #8
therink

I have covered my last 5 rvs during western NY winters using a 20 x 40 heavy duty grey tarp. I also have vent covers on the roof vents therefore leave all roof vents open so the cabin breathes.
When I install the tarp, I use a lot of rope to tie it down good and tight. I am going on 5 years with the same tarp. Like I said I make sure it is good and tight so there the tarp doesn't flap in the wind.
Before the tarp I spent $300 on a custom Tyvek rv cover and it ripped the first year. Never again. My $100 tarp does the trick and does not cause mold issues or leave any wear marks on the outside surfaces. It just takes a little effort to gift wrap the rig for the winter. I could not imagine not covering it for the 5 months/yr that it sits there.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:05 AM   #9
Cnc_hemi

Cover

Look at these options. A fabric cover u have to replace. The sun is very tough on our rigs. I had a 2007 Laredo 265RL before stepping up to a fuzion. I had it covered with a cover from camping world. It worked ok but moisture stayed trapped under it and the wind gave it a work over after buying 2 cover over 3 years the sun still baked the decals and many of the plastics on it. All while covered. So I decided to fix the whole issue this time. I built a wood frame cover and wrapped it with metal. I put less than $6000 in it and poured cement. I built it 16x40. And my fuzion fits nice in it and I can open the slides. It only sees the sun are the elements when out camping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	4141  
Cnc_hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:14 AM   #10
warsw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnc_hemi View Post
Look at these options. A fabric cover u have to replace. The sun is very tough on our rigs. I had a 2007 Laredo 265RL before stepping up to a fuzion. I had it covered with a cover from camping world. It worked ok but moisture stayed trapped under it and the wind gave it a work over after buying 2 cover over 3 years the sun still baked the decals and many of the plastics on it. All while covered. So I decided to fix the whole issue this time. I built a wood frame cover and wrapped it with metal. I put less than $6000 in it and poured cement. I built it 16x40. And my fuzion fits nice in it and I can open the slides. It only sees the sun are the elements when out camping.
Realy nice. That is the way to go. Did you build it yourself? Did the $6K include the cement?
Old 09-16-2013, 09:25 AM   #11
SkiSmuggs

My wife insisted on a cover for our new then (16 months ago) fiver. It was a PITA to put it on as it was windy but we were pressed for time with weather coming. At the rear, water collected and froze the cover to the ground and took us an hour to free in the spring (had 5 gallons or more ice in it). It tore on the corner of the folded up steps from the wind. Worse to me was that we used to occasionally "camp out" in it during the winter and we couldn't do that with a cover on. Personally, I would rather leave it uncovered.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #12
Cnc_hemi

Cover

Yes. 1000$ in post and beam meterial. (11 4x6x20). Beams(8 2x10x20)2 sheets of 1/2" plywood. if You didnt want to close in front You would only need 9 post. 4 down each side and one for back center support for walls( only if you gonna box in the back wall. 200$ in form boards for cement. 1350$ for cement and finisher. No wire used fiber in the mix. There will be no traffic on it except you camper. Dug a 1' footing in front. 3 1/2"-4" thick deep. Then framed up the roof at 3/12 pitch. That cost me about $1100 for the wood. Then the slats for the walls and metal $2600. Now I did the labor my self but I'm sure someone would frame it for ya around 1500 or so.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #13
warsw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnc_hemi View Post
Yes. 1000$ in post and beam meterial. (11 4x6x20). Beams(8 2x10x20)2 sheets of 1/2" plywood. if You didnt want to close in front You would only need 9 post. 4 down each side and one for back center support for walls( only if you gonna box in the back wall. 200$ in form boards for cement. 1350$ for cement and finisher. No wire used fiber in the mix. There will be no traffic on it except you camper. Dug a 1' footing in front. 3 1/2"-4" thick deep. Then framed up the roof at 3/12 pitch. That cost me about $1100 for the wood. Then the slats for the walls and metal $2600. Now I did the labor my self but I'm sure someone would frame it for ya around 1500 or so.
Great. You did a nice job. I'll be moving into a new house in three weeks and will be needing a new RV storage. The one you built would be perfect. Thanks for the info.......You want to come by and help ?
Old 09-17-2013, 04:38 AM   #14
Cnc_hemi

Cover

Dude I would. But Oregon is a good haul from south louisiana. Lol. Another thing you living up there a cover wil keep all that ice off. It's bad as well. With all the weight and hard on the roof and seals. There is another option for you. Some of these carport cover company's offer a camper cover. You can add extra legs for support and they build them to your areas building code. You can close them in as well. If you go with 12' walls on it. And go 18' wide you should have the clearance you need. Some company's even go 14' on the walls. And it would cost about the same. The great thing with them are they install them. I prefer to build a wood frame one. That's just me.