Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
lc47

Unhappy electric connector problems

When I connect my 2008 Springdale electric connector with my tow vehicle, the last couple times I have had to work the connector around in order to get all things working, i.e. turn signals, brake lights, running lights. Today on our way home when I hooked up, I couldn't get the brake lights to work. I am wondering if this might be that the connector contacts are just dirty, since in the past when I have moved it around, pushed harder, etc. I have gotten them to work. But not today. Any suggestions on how I can fix this? I don't think there is a basic problem with the lighting such as a bad ground. Thanks!
lc47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc47 View Post
When I connect my 2008 Springdale electric connector with my tow vehicle, the last couple times I have had to work the connector around in order to get all things working, i.e. turn signals, brake lights, running lights. Today on our way home when I hooked up, I couldn't get the brake lights to work. I am wondering if this might be that the connector contacts are just dirty, since in the past when I have moved it around, pushed harder, etc. I have gotten them to work. But not today. Any suggestions on how I can fix this? I don't think there is a basic problem with the lighting such as a bad ground. Thanks!
Dirt and such in the contact area is your first suspect, especially if different things do or don't work each time you plug it in.

Clean out the tow vehicle contacts really well. WD-40 is a good solvent and cleaner for that. Spray and wipe, spray and wipe. Same for the pigtail's 7 pin. Clean out each contact. You should end up with bare metal, no grease, and no dirt. Then get some dielectric grease at your local auto parts store and put a dab in each contact on the pigtail, and some in the 7 pin on the truck. Plug and unplug several times to work it in. If necessary, use a pipe cleaner or similar to get the grease evenly distributed. You don't need globs of it, but a good coating is fine. This grease will prevent corrosion from moisture and road salt. Corrosion is probably the #1 cause of problems in the 7 pins.

Once you've cleaned and grease, time to check things out. If everything works reliably at this point, reward yourself with beverage of choice.

If things still don't work, troubleshoot the ground on both the trailer and tow vehicle first. I just did a detailed write up in this post which is also current: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11220

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
Javi

Emery board... lightly sand all contacts so they show no corrosion/tarnish... then use dielectric gel
Old 05-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
lc47

Wonderful! Thanks for the quick replies! I will do this tomorrow!
lc47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #5
chuck&gail

Most electronic stores, even Radio Shack, carry a spray contact cleaner which will work great, at least it does for me. While there buy the dielectric grease, and you should be able to lick the problem.

Filing on the contacts will, IMHO, create its own problems, especially with age.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:23 AM   #6
mowin

Look at the trailer side, and you will notice some if not all the contacts are pushed against the side of the connector. and every so often I take a small screw driver and pry the contacts so there is a gap on both sides of the connector. Makes the connection between the trailer and the TV much tighter and usually solves my issues with some finicky lights.
mowin is offline   Reply With Quote