Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
sjturbo

Accumulator, what are the benefits?

I have recently mounted my pump on an isolation block and have flexible tubing on inlet and outlet. That has quieted it significantly. Since we boondock (no power other than battery and generator for charging and popcorn), I am interested in the power savings of an accumulator tank. Do most people install one for noise purposes or to cut down on pump cycling for power reasons?
sjturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

An accumulator tank may help to reduce the pulsating and cycling of the pump as well as helping to maintain a more steady, even pressure in the system. Because the pump doesn't come on as often or run as long , this results in less noise and reduces battery drain.

Whether or not these benefits are that significant or relatively minor is difficult to measure. If you have a generator to charge your batteries (and for popcorn), I'm not convinced that installing a tank would be worthwhile. Accumulator tanks take up additional space so you would have to take that into account.

Another, and perhaps better "battery saving" option , would be to pull your incandescent lights and replace them with LED's. To me, that would result in a more significant saving of your battery than an accumulator tank and better suited to boon docking.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #3
sjturbo

Thanks Festus2, I am in the process of changing all lights to led's so I may hold off on the accumulator.
sjturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #4
theeyres

I really doubt the accumulator will save enough energy to pay for it. It may run less but will run longer once it goes on. It is going to take x energy to get x amount of water to a spout, accumulator or not. I think the main purpose is to eliminate the pulsating and pipe rattling.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #5
LittleJoe

net run time will be same and any battery savings would be neglidgeable
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
MarkS

Starting a pump takes a little extra energy. Since you would run a little less often, there would be a little less energy. Probably not much less.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #7
JAFI

An accumulator is more beneficial for the midnight bathroom flush than to save battery power. With the right size tank, you can flush the toilet without the pump disturbing those still sleeping.
JAFI is offline   Reply With Quote