Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
Smitty43

RV smells like a outhouse

My Alpine 3200RL smell like a outhouse after I dump the black water tank. The smell is real bad in the living room area. You don't notice it in the bathroom. It last for about 30 minutes then its gone, but those 30-45 minutes are tough to handle. This only happens when we dump the tank and add chemicals and a little water to the tank after closing the valve. I use the enzyme type chemicals. Anyone have any ideas?----Smitty
Smitty43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:44 AM   #2
Ruffus

Lightbulb Smells

Smitty
Sounds like you may have a vent problem. Not sure what model you have but if the black tank vent is close to and open sky vent then it could be coming from there. There's also the possibility that your black water tank air vent is seperated in the basement or in the wall allowing oders to come in the trailer.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:27 AM   #3
Smitty43

Thanks for the info.---Smitty
Smitty43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:26 AM   #4
hankaye

Smitty43, Howdy;

Could be that there is some 'residuals' hangin' up in the tank.
I've noticed the difference between an empty tank and one that's
almost empty.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Another good possibility is the vent for the kitchen gray tank. Most are not vented though the roof but use a mechanical vent under a kitchen cabinet. These valves are very inexpensive and available at hardware and home stores (or plumbing supplies) and just screw on. When you dump, the fumes from the black tank may be finding their way back to the gray tank and coming out the mechanical vent if it is not working properly. It should only allow air into the tank and not allow fumes out. If you only get the "Outhouse" smell when dumping, this is the culprit I suspect. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
fireidiot

Are you opening a powered vent when dumping chemicals down the toilet? If so, this will pull the sewer gas from the black tank into your coach.

Also, are you cleaning the tank thoroughly? Sometimes I notice after a week or so (of not using) after I use the dump station. I try not to use the tank rinser when other people are behind me at the dump station.

My camping buddy likes to make fun of me because of how long I spend making sure the tank is "clean". The funny thing is he has let up a bit since he called me and said, "Hey, my camper really stinks inside, what can I do?"
fireidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #7
golfpro

another possible thing. I thought I had black tank problems like the one you are describing, turned out it was the water in the fresh water tank. it went bad and so I used Clorox and freshened up the FW tank, got rid of that smell. it did smell just like black water tank back fired.
golfpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #8
jkghdrider

My buddy had a similar problem with his, really smelled inside the camper when the flushed of dumped... The dealer checked it out from head to toe thinking perhaps the vent pipe was cloged but all was good. Recommended a better chemical or a better mix at the least. Turns out my bud was cheap & mixing weak so it was his own fault!

jkghdrider
jkghdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:37 AM   #9
bennydog

Not the same issue as you're having but....
When I woke the trailer up from winter the bathroom had this outhouse smell to it that I could not get to go away. I had cleaned all the holding tanks, added fresh water to the black tank added deodorant ran the fan and it would still not go away. First trip out this weekend and my wife goes to throw something in the trash can under the sink. Nice tall white plastic thing...with 4 dead mice in it. And it stunk! Her to me "didn't you smell this when you were getting the trailer ready" Me "Yes, but it smelled like it was coming from the bathroom, because that's where all bad smells come from"

Maybe you have dead mice

2010 Cougar 24RKS
2012 Dodge RAM 2500
6.7 Turbo
bennydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #10
Jimbeau

are you using any liquid deoderizer or other chemical in the tank? The digestor type works good in them 2 oz. of one type I've used. You dont even need to use it EVERY time! Use and your good to go. You dont even need to use it EVERY time Also you can plug up the sink drains when see if thats where the smell is coming from. I do know that soap buildup REALLY smells up grey tanks. If all is a go and it's still bad, you might want to sniff aroud and see if it worse in the toilet "room". If so, it could be a bad wax ring that the toilet sits over. Thia same thing was happening to my friends and he replaced that wax ring and the smell disappears. There was probably a gap in it!! Fun stuff, Huh!
Jimbeau is offline   Reply With Quote