Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2021, 04:25 AM   #21
Courser Farm

This may not help but worth trying- I saw on here that if you have an electric fireplace, the electric water heater and fireplace cannot both be on. Not sure if this is any help in troubleshooting.
Former Horse Campers Ready for New Experiences!
Courser Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 07:46 AM   #22
chunker

The 120v part of the water heater is likely on a GFCI circuit. On my Raptor I had the 120v side quit and found the plug was forward of the actual water heater. The GFCI plug in the inside of the RV had tripped, bathroom as I recall. Reset and everything working.

EDIT I missed the part of the post about the external switch. Glad it's fixed.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 01:57 PM   #23
raylinkz

Hidden Electric switch: suburban water heater

Glad you found the answer to your issue, the electric element of the water heater can't heat without power. If the switch was in the off position when you had hot water for 3 hours you must have been heating with propane.

Perhaps it was on and someone inadvertantly reached behind the propane assy and pushed the switch off.... Doesn't matter, works now.

Just remember to change the water supply to 'bypass' and turn off that switch before you drain the tank and check your anode rod to see if it needs to be replaced.

Anode Rod should be good if you just purchased a new RV.
Paul
raylinkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:56 AM   #24
TomTerrific

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305940 View Post
I own a 2021 Springdale SG220RD which has the dual Gas/Electric water heater. Have been on two trips with it so far. On our first trip I used the electric part of the heater. it worked fine, then after about 3 hours of use it quit heating. Both reset buttons from the outside have been pressed and circuit breakers and fuses look okay. The propane part works well.
Any ideas on what else I may be able to check? it IS still under warranty but I don't want to travel to the Dealer 60 miles one way unless I have to!
Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide!
We're you heating with the wind blowing outside?

Sounds silly but there is a thermal fuse on the outside near the heater air intake.If wind at just the right angle. blows down the vent on top, the fire can blow back thru the outside intake. If that thermal fuse goes, it totally shuts down the hat water heater ( including electric) $35 each @ Amazon or 100 for $10 on ebay.
TomTerrific is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater