Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-20-2021, 11:28 AM   #21
ElJeffe
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: denver
Posts: 5
2021 23mls

My 2021 Courgar 23MLS came with the 12v only refrigerator. It seems to work really well and gets cold really fast. However, with the tiny, lead acid battery that came with the rig, you get less than 24 hours before you have a battery too low.
ElJeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 01:43 PM   #22
KimNTerry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Windsor
Posts: 209
Upgrade the battery
2x 6volt (about $90 each at Sam's Cub) Flooded Leaded Acid Batteries 230 or so amp hours
or 1x 100 amp hr 12 volt Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFEPO4) if your wallet can handle it.

more if you want/need
__________________

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:04 PM   #23
BandT
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Puyallup
Posts: 40
Ours has the 12V refer in it (10 Cu Ft) so far so good. According to my victron shunt it pulses about 5 amps off and on. It would have killed the 2 lead acid batteries it was delivered with. Now with (2) 200AH LifePo4 batteries and 530W of solar panels its no problem at all! Even after a few days of cloudy weather.
__________________
2007 Chev 3500 CCLB w/DRW, Diesel
2021 Cougar 353SRX 5th TH
BandT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 11:07 AM   #24
quaddriver
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: North Huntingdon
Posts: 75
Timely topic...when we were looking at models, I wanted absorption....they require 100ma or so of trickle current for the eyebrow board, they run all season on a 25lb tank and...they just work...forever....as long as you stay level within reason.


But alas, todays new sexy is the 12v residential. Keystone, my brand my model I just got was using the Furian (<---spelled that way cuz of the movie) however you note for 2021 they went to GE.


Dont worry, both are made in china... (sarcasm)


But the GE has a better rep. According to the Camping world dealer, the Furians were failing at a rate they would sum up as 'all of them'. so go GE.


Dont have much experience with it outside of 1 week except to say I wish I didnt have it. we PREFER to boondock. We live right in the middle of boondock central (the ANF) Old coach on 2 G24 batteries - 3 days easy, and that is with watching a fall asleep movie on an inverter.


On a single G24 'free from the dealer' battery which I am sure is not the most long lived, 8 hours tops before a low voltage condition. Im sorry, but that kwh rating over 24 hrs is bogus. its too much current. My salesman told me 'oh it has been tested to last 3 days camping' to which I replied I have a bridge thru my woods for sale and we left it at that. Its a nice fridge (the GE) it seems so dont get me wrong (and it uses R134a if I read it right....wth? lol) but if you are not a park queen, it aint gonna meet the needs of your energy budget. the battery disco switch when parked (if you cannot plug in) is your friend.


go solar? you need at least 200w and a sunny location
__________________
Ed & Pam from W/PA
2021 Bullet 290BHS
Drug by a planet killing big block square Suburban
quaddriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 01:04 PM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team
 
JRTJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gaylord
Posts: 22,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by quaddriver View Post
Timely topic...when we were looking at models, I wanted absorption....they require 100ma or so of trickle current for the eyebrow board, they run all season on a 25lb tank and...they just work...forever....as long as you stay level within reason.


But alas, todays new sexy is the 12v residential. Keystone, my brand my model I just got was using the Furian (<---spelled that way cuz of the movie) however you note for 2021 they went to GE.


Dont worry, both are made in china... (sarcasm)


But the GE has a better rep. According to the Camping world dealer, the Furians were failing at a rate they would sum up as 'all of them'. so go GE.


Dont have much experience with it outside of 1 week except to say I wish I didnt have it. we PREFER to boondock. We live right in the middle of boondock central (the ANF) Old coach on 2 G24 batteries - 3 days easy, and that is with watching a fall asleep movie on an inverter.


On a single G24 'free from the dealer' battery which I am sure is not the most long lived, 8 hours tops before a low voltage condition. Im sorry, but that kwh rating over 24 hrs is bogus. its too much current. My salesman told me 'oh it has been tested to last 3 days camping' to which I replied I have a bridge thru my woods for sale and we left it at that. Its a nice fridge (the GE) it seems so dont get me wrong (and it uses R134a if I read it right....wth? lol) but if you are not a park queen, it aint gonna meet the needs of your energy budget. the battery disco switch when parked (if you cannot plug in) is your friend.


go solar? you need at least 200w and a sunny location
The "sad part of that equation" is that you can't "go solar" without a significant investment in additional equipment. Many (maybe even most) RV buyers are on a budget and are watching their dollars carefully so they can afford to buy the needed camping supplies to equip their new RV. Being "blindsided with a $500-$1000 solar system is a very bitter pill to swallow....

Why Keystone doesn't "suck it up and provide the entire package" if they're going to change over to residential refrigerators in their trailers is beyond me. Relying on a dealer's integrity to install sufficient batteries is similar to warning a 4 year old not to eat the cookies before supper and then leaving the house without a babysitter.....

Maybe the mantra, "All our trailers with be equipped with a solar system in 2022 model trailers" will help ease some of that pain.
__________________
John



2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 03:10 PM   #26
quaddriver
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: North Huntingdon
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The "sad part of that equation" is that you can't "go solar" without a significant investment in additional equipment. Many (maybe even most) RV buyers are on a budget and are watching their dollars carefully so they can afford to buy the needed camping supplies to equip their new RV. Being "blindsided with a $500-$1000 solar system is a very bitter pill to swallow....

Why Keystone doesn't "suck it up and provide the entire package" if they're going to change over to residential refrigerators in their trailers is beyond me. Relying on a dealer's integrity to install sufficient batteries is similar to warning a 4 year old not to eat the cookies before supper and then leaving the house without a babysitter.....

Maybe the mantra, "All our trailers with be equipped with a solar system in 2022 model trailers" will help ease some of that pain.

did they really say all 2022s will have solar? thats interesting....I wanted to put 150w in 3 50 watt N-power panels on the luggage section of winnie, but it was cheaper to get s 2000i inverter gensets and parallel on AC days...


I do have a new 45 watt panel and a 150w charge controller which DOES plug into the Bullets solar ready jack, but at 75% nominal rating, the 45watts is just over 30 and thats almost 2.5amps...it wont even keep up to the fridge and that is assuming its a sunny day in florida and you move the panels....


since I paid for it and am not likely to take it out for absorption, I need to find a path...hafta find out what the converter battery charger is really doing so this weekend I will be pulling it out and peekin, to see if its like other wcfos Ive rebuilt, then in the fall 1 genset is appx 2 gallon per day on loaf mode...with 24hr coverage
__________________
Ed & Pam from W/PA
2021 Bullet 290BHS
Drug by a planet killing big block square Suburban
quaddriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 04:58 PM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team
 
JRTJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gaylord
Posts: 22,335
The "official Keystone announcement" says "MOST" Keystone trailers will have one of 4 solar packages with options to upgrade for many models...

Basic is 200 watts of solar panels and a controller to charge "dealer installed batteries"...

Next is 400 watt solar panels, a controller, inverter and "dealer batteries"

Next is 600 watt solar panels, a controller, inverter and 270 Ahr Li battery

Finally, there is an 1200 watt system with controller, inverter and two 540 Ahr Li batteries... No doubt that will be a "multi-thousand dollar option"....

Here's the link: https://www.keystonerv.com/solarflex_landing
__________________
John



2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 05:31 PM   #28
sourdough
Site Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: W. Texas
Posts: 13,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The "official Keystone announcement" says "MOST" Keystone trailers will have one of 4 solar packages with options to upgrade for many models...

Basic is 200 watts of solar panels and a controller to charge "dealer installed batteries"...

Next is 400 watt solar panels, a controller, inverter and "dealer batteries"

Next is 600 watt solar panels, a controller, inverter and 270 Ahr Li battery

Finally, there is an 1200 watt system with controller, inverter and two 540 Ahr Li batteries... No doubt that will be a "multi-thousand dollar option"....

Here's the link: https://www.keystonerv.com/solarflex_landing

I have no use for "solar" but I do believe I recall them touting the solar capability of the trailer. I also recall (if faulty memory serves me sort of correctly) that the install price for the full blown system was something like 15k. I can stay a long time in campgrounds and visit the backwoods for 15k....
__________________
Danny & Susan wife of 54 years
2019 Ram 3500 Laramie CC SB 6.4 4x4 4.10
2020 Montana High Country 331RL
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 05:41 PM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team
 
JRTJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gaylord
Posts: 22,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I have no use for "solar" but I do believe I recall them touting the solar capability of the trailer. I also recall (if faulty memory serves me sort of correctly) that the install price for the full blown system was something like 15k. I can stay a long time in campgrounds and visit the backwoods for 15k....
I thought the same thing... I can buy a lot of replacement Champion generators and fuel for them for $15K..... LOL

Quiet is nice, but not that nice !!!!! Especially when you use the solar power to run the stereo or the TV that make more noise than the generator that's outside, behind a tree <G>
__________________
John



2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 06:50 PM   #30
ElJeffe
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: denver
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I thought the same thing... I can buy a lot of replacement Champion generators and fuel for them for $15K..... LOL

Quiet is nice, but not that nice !!!!! Especially when you use the solar power to run the stereo or the TV that make more noise than the generator that's outside, behind a tree <G>
Hahah. Not right now. Canít find a champion generator anywhere. ;-). Crazy shortage of them around here.

I was also told by several keystone dealers that I could use lithium batteries only to find out thatís not 100% true either. Iíve spaced out my battery/inverter setup is going to cost me around $2500 for DIY. (400ah lithium)

And guessing around $1000 for 500watt solar.

And another $1000ish for generatorÖif I can find one.

After all that the 12v refrigerator will be awesome ;-)
ElJeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:33 PM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team
 
JRTJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gaylord
Posts: 22,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJeffe View Post
Hahah. Not right now. Canít find a champion generator anywhere. ;-). Crazy shortage of them around here.

I was also told by several keystone dealers that I could use lithium batteries only to find out thatís not 100% true either. Iíve spaced out my battery/inverter setup is going to cost me around $2500 for DIY. (400ah lithium)

And guessing around $1000 for 500watt solar.

And another $1000ish for generatorÖif I can find one.

After all that the 12v refrigerator will be awesome ;-)
Which model generator are you looking for? Amazon has a couple as do some of the portable generator websites. If you post what you're looking for, someone may know of a site with some in stock.
__________________
John



2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:10 AM   #32
quaddriver
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: North Huntingdon
Posts: 75
This is an amusing solor setup....
https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Port...66161455&psc=1


I have a pair of these:



https://www.amazon.com/Powermate-100.../dp/B01JIRIOYY


Which are the same as the pulsar, generac, some wens and the westinghouse



(mine are 3 year old 2000/1600s but the same thing with slightly less engine) I run single or in pairs depending on need.


you can do it for under $1000 from our friends at amazon.


I even found one at auction for about $100 that was put away full for 2 years in a locker...it was about 2 hours to tear into it and redo the carb...so fixable if handy




ETA: champions: https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Powe...a-924670086407
__________________
Ed & Pam from W/PA
2021 Bullet 290BHS
Drug by a planet killing big block square Suburban
quaddriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:26 AM   #33
jxnbbl
Senior Member
 
jxnbbl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: jackson
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The "official Keystone announcement" says "MOST" Keystone trailers will have one of 4 solar packages with options to upgrade for many models...

Basic is 200 watts of solar panels and a controller to charge "dealer installed batteries"...

Next is 400 watt solar panels, a controller, inverter and "dealer batteries"

Next is 600 watt solar panels, a controller, inverter and 270 Ahr Li battery

Finally, there is an 1200 watt system with controller, inverter and two 540 Ahr Li batteries... No doubt that will be a "multi-thousand dollar option"....

Here's the link: https://www.keystonerv.com/solarflex_landing

I somewhat can confirm that the new trailers will have the 200w solar panels installed. I just bought a new trailer that was expected to have the solarflex 200 system installed at the factory...it didn't it came with the zamp prewiring for panels, inverter, etc. I basically negotiated to get 200w of panels installed and controller. I did read that the 200->400w upgrade for solarflex was about a $1200 option, but the 200 will be standard.



The bottom line is that IF my new fridge was propane/12V I wouldn't have worried at all...but it is 12V only so I'm not taking any chances. The good thing is that there is no more debating of driving with propane turned on.
__________________
JXNBBL (Jay)
Jackson, NH
2021 Keystone 330BHS
2020 Ram 2500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fridge

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RVģ is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.