Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2018, 02:24 PM   #1
rboyle53

Hot water heater

I have a new keystone RV Sprinter 3151 FWRLS and cannot get hot water. I learned there were 2 switches for the electric heater. However, is there a value to let cold water into the hot water tank? The unit was winterized when I bought and this is my first time hooking it up. I cannot see the back of the hot water tank and cannot find what I was consider to be the bypass value. Help?
rboyle53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:46 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Turn the switches OFF NOW! OK, go to the back of the water heater inside the RV. There will be some sort of wood-look panel covering the back likely. Remove it. At the back of the water heater there is a water in and a water out. There is a valve on the pipe going into the water heater in most cases that is likely in the closed position. Turn it to point along the path of the pipe in. When water is connected to the city water inlet or the water tank and the pump turned on, water will now flow into your tank. Your tank has either 6 or 10 gallons capacity. Now go to outside and open the water heater compartment and once it is full, you can briefly pop open the pressure relief valve and that will help get some air out of the system between the water inlet and the tank. Once some water comes out, the tank is full and you can turn on the gas and then check it by lighting the stove. Got gas there and you are ready to turn on the gas part of the heater. You will have a switch on your control panel; turn it on and leave it. The red light next to the switch will come on as the heater lights then go out. Once you have the gas going, you can either switch on the electric heating element on your control panel if it is equipped that way or go to your heater and there will be an on/off rocker switch on the bottom left (probably) partly hidden. Be sure to turn this switch off when you drain the hot water tank as the electric heating element burns up pretty easily otherwise. Good luck!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:46 PM   #3
Brentw

Do not run your heaters until you have confirmed that there is water through your HWH. There will either be a single three-way valve in a service compartment or a combination of valves on the backside of the HWH. Sometimes getting access to the back of the hot water tank can be a bit challenging, I do not know your exact unit so cannot help with that.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:13 PM   #4
rboyle53

You were right on and very informative! Thanks so much. I now have hot water! Unfortunately my dealership neglected to tell me about the panel and where the turn off was located. Thanks again!
rboyle53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, hot water heater, water, water heater